Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now Part 2 - Page 180 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54252Likes

post #5371 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
vinyl

One of the first albums I ever bought before getting a decent stereo system. It's too beat up now to play on my current one. Haven't listened to this in probably 40+ years. I'll need to rectify that problem soon!

Happy 77th George.
Clarence, DanPackMan and MRAYB like this.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 26844
vinyl

Quote:
Resolution is the third studio album by American singer-songwriter Andy Pratt, released in 1976.

It was Pratt's first album of entirely new music since his second, "Andy Pratt" in 1973. The album was produced by Bee Gees producer Arif Mardin, who was recruited for a more commercial approach.

On release, Pratt received a positive critical reception, it is also his best selling album. Reviewing the album Rolling Stone magazine wrote, "By reviving the dream of rock as an art and then re-inventing it, Pratt has forever changed the face of rock".

AllMusic gave the album four and a half out of five stars :
When it was first released in 1976, Resolution garnered great critical acclaim. While claims by Rolling Stone that Pratt "has forever changed the face of rock" seem far-fetched, it still is one of the finest singer-songwriter albums of the '70s.

While Pratt's expressive, but sometimes high-pitched, voice may not be everyone's cup of tea, there is no denying that the songs themselves were superb. Furthermore, the arrangements and intricacies within each selection were something to behold. No two songs sound alike, yet there is a thematic link between everything presented -- that being the power of love to pull, push, and sustain every human being. The idealism and optimism that is pervasive throughout is balanced by a sense of how hard it is to reach that point, and thus the hopefulness seems real and earned.

It is difficult to say which cuts are the highlight of the album, since each is so well thought out and constructed. Every listener will undoubtedly choose particular favorites. The range of music varies from jazzy ("Set Your Sights") to melodic and gentle pop ("Everything Falls Into Place"(Lillian's Song)," to nearly hard rock ("Karen's Song"). Also particularly worth noting is the complex arrangements on "That's When Miracles Occur" and the father-son theme explored on the moving "Can't Stop My Love" (which explores Pratt's feelings related to his father's death).

Although this album never attained the commercial success that many predicted, it remains a classic that deserves to be heard by a wide audience.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pratt Andy - Resolution.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2690034  
SuperFist likes this.
post #5373 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 30853
Quote:
vinyl

I wasn't familiar with this album... listened to it on Discogs and ordered one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5374 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
I wasn't familiar with this album... listened to it on Discogs and ordered one
@Matt2026 - Welcome to Crackerbox Palace!
Clarence and Matt2026 like this.

Spoiler!
post #5375 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Victrola 78 rpm

Must've been a popular ditty. There was even another version of the same song (also from 1947) by Dick "Two Ton" Baker in this stack of 78's.

It wasn't uncommon to hear that song on the radio even in the late 60s, and it was popular in barbership quartets. I remember that one and Benny Bell's "shaving cream".
Clarence likes this.
post #5376 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 6654
Thumbs up

Eagles Long Road Out Of Eden. Double (CD)
post #5377 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Right now, as I type this:

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver (vinyl)

Clarence likes this.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #5378 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Dwight Yoakam - Dwight Sings Buck, CD. One of the few Yoakam albums I didn't have and a long time denizen of my Amazon Wish List, noted an inexpensive used copy as I was trolling through the list, which arrived today. Hadn't heard it before. Dwight at his most Country, nothing, beyond the occasional Buddy Holly tremor in his voice, of his Rockin' or R&B sides. Entirely appropriate to the subject matter of course, which he seems to do up right, giving his own interpretations, but in the straightforward spirit of Mr. Owens.
Morgan
Clarence, DanPackMan and Matt2026 like this.

Last edited by morgiastic; 02-25-2020 at 05:56 PM.
post #5379 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 3353
YES -
Close to the Edge
(Steven Wilson Remix)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	81pZ8TwfCTL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	2690178  

All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
post #5380 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental, SACD (AP). Wow, what a sweet bluesy, breezy treat. I was aware of this artist as I had seen his name but nothing really beyond that, so quite a pleasant surprise. A bit of a different combo than usual with Tenor Sax and Guitar joining the Bass and Drums. Almost more of a Rock'n'Roll set-up and Grant Green on guitar does seem to rock out a bit, but more in the manner of something from 8-10 years later than what one would expect from 1963 R'n'R. Looking forward to hearing more of this. The same van Gelder/Gray/Hoffman combination yields the same transparent audio as the Jimmy Smith disc.
Morgan
CDLehner likes this.
post #5381 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Green Thoughts is the second studio album by The Smithereens, released in 1988.

The Smithereens had toured from May 1986 to September 1987 in support of their debut album, 1986's Especially for You. During the tour, lead singer and songwriter Pat DiNizio had been working on new song ideas for what was to become the Green Thoughts album.

Pat DiNizio said, "Green Thoughts was written intuitively, from the gut. I found myself in a situation where I had to come up with virtually all the songs in a very short period of time. I had to lock myself in my apartment in New York City, take the phone off the hook, distance myself from every relationship I had, and set about the business of putting together bits of melodies, bits of lyrics and song titles into album form. Four weeks later I emerged from the apartment slightly crazed, but I did have an album under my belt."

Don Dixon, who had produced their debut album, was again enlisted to produce. The band preferred to take an intuitive and spontaneous approach to recording, according to DiNizio, "get virtually everything onto the album by the first or second take. If it's not happening then, it usually doesn't happen."

David Browne, writing for Rolling Stone, gave the album 4 stars out of 5, noting that "even if Pat DiNizio isn't the type of guy you'd invite to your party, Green Thoughts is the kind of album you'll want to bring along."

AllMusic gave the album 4½ stars out of 5, calling it an "impressive batch of superbly constructed pop gems."

Pat DiNizio's health declined in 2015 after a pair of falls which resulted in nerve damage that limited the use of his right hand and arm. He died on December 12, 2017, at the age of 62.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Smithereens - Green Thoughts.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2690218  
gillcup and PooperScooper like this.
post #5382 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Fegmania! is the fourth studio album by Robyn Hitchcock, his first with his backing band The Egyptians, released in 1985.

The Egyptians included the former Soft Boys Andy Metcalfe and Morris Windsor.

"The Man with the Lightbulb Head" was conceived on Archway Road in London and provided a springboard for Hitchcock's first attempt at film making for a promotional video. Stills from the video were reproduced as cover art for the front and back of the LP sleeve.

AllMusic Review:
After the stripped-back collection I Often Dream of Trains, Robyn Hitchcock slowly formed a backing band called the Egyptians with ex-Soft Boys Andy Metcalfe and Morris Windsor, and keyboardist Roger Jackson over the course of the next year.

The Egyptians' first album was a distinct departure from both the Soft Boys and Hitchcock's previous solo work, featuring layered, intertwining guitars and keyboards that created lush and thick sonic textures. Even with the more detailed arrangements, the songs remained twitchy and off-kilter, with melodies that usually went in willfully unpredictable directions, yet remained catchy all the while.

Fegmania! was Hitchcock's most consistent work to date, featuring such highlights as the Eastern-tinged "Egyptian Cream," and the creepy "My Wife & My Dead Wife," and the relatively straightforward "The Man with the Lightbulb Head."
After reaching prominence in the late 1970s with The Soft Boys, Robyn Hitchcock (age 66) launched a prolific solo career. He has recorded for two major American labels (A&M Records, then Warner Bros.) over the course of the 1980s and 1990s, and was the subject of a live performance/documentary film (Storefront Hitchcock) by major motion picture director Jonathan Demme in 1998, but despite this, mainstream success has been limited. He has earned a "cult following" and strong critical reviews over a steady stream of album releases and live performances.
Autographed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hitchcock Robyn.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	2690252  
JA Fant likes this.
post #5383 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
George Harrison is the eighth studio album by English musician George Harrison, released in 1979.

It was written and recorded in 1978, a period of domestic contentment for Harrison, during which he married Olivia Trinidad Arias and became a father for the first time, to son Dhani. The album also includes the hit single "Blow Away" and "Not Guilty", a song that Harrison originally recorded in 1968 for the Beatles' White Album. Harrison wrote "Here Comes the Moon" as a lyrical successor to his 1969 composition "Here Comes the Sun".

Contributing musicians include Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, and Gary Wright (Dream Weaver).

Footage from the cover photo sessions can be seen in Martin Scorsese's 2011 documentary George Harrison: Living in the Material World.

In May 2001, it was revealed that Harrison had undergone an operation to remove a cancerous growth from one of his lungs, In July it was reported that he was being treated for a brain tumor at a clinic in Switzerland. On 12 November 2001 in New York, Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Paul McCartney came together for the last time. Less than three weeks later, on 29 November 2001, Harrison died at a friend's home in Los Angeles, aged 58. His family scattered his ashes according to Hindu tradition in a private ceremony in the Ganges and Yamuna rivers in India. He left almost £100 million in his will.
post #5384 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I like Pat Boone. I like Heavy Metal. As I recall, I didn't care for this, but I think I might give it another chance, it was years ago I heard this. It's certainly an interesting idea.
I had to reply to this. I thought it was a joke until I did a search! Giving it an honest listen. This is very.. interesting.

I just realized I quoted a reply not the original message. Sorry @PooperScooper
drh3b likes this.
post #5385 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Jaime is the debut solo studio album from Brittany Howard, released in 2019.

The album is the first solo work from Howard, who has previously recorded with Alabama Shakes.

It is dedicated to her sister Jaime, who died of retinoblastoma as a teen. Howard was born in Athens, Alabama to a white mother and an African American father. The family house was in a junk yard, and once burned down due to a lightning strike. She learned to write poetry and play the piano from her older sister Jaime, who died from retinoblastoma in 1998. Retinoblastoma is a rare form of cancer that rapidly develops from the immature cells of a retina, the light-detecting tissue of the eye. It is the most common primary malignant intraocular cancer in children, and it is almost exclusively found in young children. Brittany got the same affliction but survived with partial blindness in one eye. Her father left the family soon after.

Howard put Alabama Shakes on hold to pursue side projects and have complete control over the recording of Jaime in 2018. After taking a long road trip, she reflected on her life as her 30th birthday approached and decided to record an album that explores her personal history and beliefs. The release was accompanied by lead single "History Repeats" and Howard's first solo tour. During the solo tour, she and her backing band eschewed Alabama Shakes songs and only performed works from this album and her other bands.

In Rolling Stone, Jon Dolan gave the album four out of five stars, highlighting the Southern culture elements of the lyrics and summing up that her lyrics in "Georgia" make a "strikingly bold moment on a record that's full of them". Pitchfork awarded Jaime the distinction of "Best New Music", with Sheldon Pearce scoring the album an 8.6 out of 10 and describing it as a "thrilling opus that pushes the boundaries of voice, sound, and soul to new extremes". Steven Hyden of Uproxx has praised the album for its differences from Howard's previous work and genre-bending mix of funk, jazz, and hip-hop. The Guardian's Ben Beaumont-Thomas gave the release four out of five stars, calling it "emotionally as well as musically varied" and finishing by stating that solo projects "are rarely as beautiful as they are here".
Autographed.
SuperFist, JA Fant and morgiastic like this.
post #5386 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Disintegration is the eighth studio album by British alternative rock band The Cure, released in 1989.

The record marks a return to the introspective and gloomy gothic rock style the band had established in the early 1980s. As he neared the age of thirty, vocalist and guitarist Robert Smith had felt an increased pressure to follow up on the group's pop successes with a more enduring work. This, coupled with a distaste for the group's newfound popularity, caused Smith to lapse back into the use of hallucinogenic drugs, the effects of which had a strong influence on the production of the album. Regularly taking LSD to cope with his depression, Smith felt The Cure was being misunderstood and sought to return to the band's dark side with their next record.

The band's 1987 double album Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me resulted in further commercial success, with a sold-out world tour booked in its wake. Despite the success, internal friction became prevalent. Tolhurst began to consume heavy amounts of alcohol, rendering him useless.

During production, founding member Lol Tolhurst (keyboardist) was fired from the band.

Disintegration became the band's commercial peak. It remains The Cure's highest selling record to date, with more than three million copies sold worldwide. It was greeted with a warm critical reception before later being acclaimed, eventually being placed at number 326 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time". The album was considered to be the best album of 1989 by Melody Maker.

Rolling Stone: "According to the kids on South Park, this is the best album ever made. According to many depressive Eighties-minded kids, it's the only album ever made – gloppy eyeliner at its grandest. On "Fascination Street," Robert Smith's voice shakes like milk as he makes adolescent angst sound so wonderfully, wonderfully pretty."

The album is number 326 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
post #5387 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Duke Jordan - Flight to Jordan, SACD (AP). Another very pleasant surprise, this time by an artist I don't know if I had ever heard of before. Apparently his greatest claim to fame is being part of The Charlie Parker Quintet, so I assume I have heard him, but his name is not familiar. (To explain, while a few of the discs I picked-up in this AP Blue Note sale were individual titles I picked, like Jimmy Smith's Midnight Special, I also took advantage of a collection of 10 discs they were selling at a greater discount if bought together, this album and the Ike Quebec one included. Most of the discs were by artists I had some knowledge of, mostly as sidemen, but some like, Jordan or Quebec, little to none.) So far this is the Bopiest of what I'm still assuming is a fairly Bopy assortment. Duke Jordan is a pianist but seems to stay mostly in the background letting Dizzy Reese on Trumpet and Stanley Turrentine on Tenor Sax take most of the leads on a collection of Jordan's compositions. The tempo never gets super hot but a nice collection of ballads and mid-tempo pieces.
Van Gelder/Gray/Hoffman, etc.
Morgan
Rodrigues_Brazil and JA Fant like this.
post #5388 of 9665 Old 02-25-2020, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Freddie Hubbard - Hub Cap, SACD (AP). This album I had never heard before but here is someone, and his fabulous tone, I was already familiar with, both as a sideman and a leader. Here also is the Hard Bop in full flight, at last.
Morgan
post #5389 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 16567
Pat Travers - Putting It Straight

If a cannibal eats a clown, will it taste funny?
post #5390 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 33834
DEEP PURPLE | come taste the band

post #5391 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 02:48 AM

Thin Lizzy - Shades Of A Blue Orphanage

post #5392 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 04:13 AM

Tool - Undertow

post #5393 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 12820
Miles Davis and Milt Jackson Quintet/Sextet

LG Oled65E6P, Anthem MRX 720, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #5394 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked: 5545
tr4a, Clarence, gprace and 8 others like this.

My Stuff.
Spoiler!
post #5395 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I just watched a Classic Albums rockumentary on Rio. I need to play it tonight.
post #5396 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Random Desire is the debut solo album by Greg Dulli, released in 2020.

Dulli first came to public attention in the late 1980s with The Afghan Whigs. They were the first non-Northwestern U.S. band to record for the Sub Pop label. The Whigs amicably split in 2001.

In 1994, Dulli was a lead vocalist in the Backbeat Band, an alternative-rock supergroup that recorded the soundtrack to The Beatles biographical film, Backbeat. Other members of the Backbeat Band were Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Don Fleming (Gumball), Mike Mills (R.E.M.), Dave Grohl (Nirvana, later Foo Fighters), and Dave Pirner (Soul Asylum).

Dulli was the only musician that appeared on the Foo Fighters first record aside from Dave Grohl. Dulli was watching Grohl record the songs. Grohl eventually asked him if he wanted to play and handed him a guitar. He added a guitar part to the song "X-Static".

Pitchfork Review:
The Afghan Whigs leader's debut solo album balances guitar-slashing catharsis with candelabra-lit elegance, taking inspired tangents from his signature nocturnal sensibility without departing from it entirely.

Greg Dulli closes his first official solo album with a richly atmospheric, slowly unfurling ballad called “Slow Pan”—a fitting move for an artist who approaches rock’n’roll with the methodical gaze of a cinematographer. Over the past 30 years, the ensembles Dulli has fronted have assumed different names—first, the Afghan Whigs, then The Twilight Singers, and then back to the Whigs— but his widescreen sensibility has never wavered. Usually, the term “cinematic” is reserved for instrumental music suggesting grandeur and gravitas, but Dulli prefers to drop you into the thick of the action. His records are like romantic thrillers with all the exposition and character development stripped out, leaving only moments of heated conflict and disarming confessions.

Random Desire further affirms Dulli’s vision, even in the absence of his trusty bands behind him. With the Afghan Whigs once again on hiatus—following bassist/co-founder John Curley’s return to school and the 2017 death of guitarist Dave Rosser from colon cancer—Dulli conceived Random Desire as a one-man operation, but ended up pulling in various longtime associates in for guest spots. The branding and methodology have changed, but the intent and effect are ultimately the same. Like pretty much every record Dulli has made since the Whigs left Sub Pop in the early ‘90s, Random Desire deftly mediates between guitar-slashing catharsis and candelabra-lit elegance. It is filled with the nocturnal ambiance, climactic crescendos, and savvy musical references we have come to expect from a Greg Dulli product. The instant you hear the tensely tapped piano pulses of “Sempre” and “The Tide,” you know it’s only a matter of time before the songs erupt into Joshua Tree-toppling surges, with Dulli engaging the most ravaged register of his voice like a guitarist kicking on an effects pedal.

Random Desire also abounds with nods to Dulli’s omnivorous musical taste. He was once the only ‘90s indie-rocker to drop Lauryn Hill covers covers in his sets; now he’s practically adopting a triplet flow on the shuffling slow jam “Scorpio.” The Nick Cave-esque “A Ghost” invokes enough New Orleans voodoo vibes to yield Dulli’s very own “Red Right Hand.” The album’s most devastating song requires no such theater: "Marry Me," a mournful acoustic ballad, is a mea culpa from a non-committal cad who never worked up the courage to say those words to the one who just walked out on him.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dulli Greg.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2690584  
SuperFist likes this.
post #5397 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Art Taylor - A.T.'s Delight, SACD (AP). Yet another excellent album from this collection, this time by an artist I'm quite familiar with from his relentless session work throughout the '50s, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a whole album with him as leader. Lively and, as one would hope, rhythm heavy album, especially the tracks where Carlos "Patato" Valdez sits in on Conga. Him and Taylor trading solos back-and-forth is pretty cool.
Morgan
post #5398 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Young in All the Wrong Ways is the third studio album by American musician Sara Watkins, released in 2016.

AllMusic Review:
Don't read too much into the title of Young in All the Wrong Ways, Sara Watkins' third solo album. Certainly, the Nickel Creek singer/violinist isn't necessarily acting deliberately youthful here -- the record isn't as brightly pop as its 2012 predecessor, Sun Midnight Sun -- but that doesn't mean that bluegrass factors heavily into the equation either.

Young in All the Wrong Ways does make feints to roots music -- if it weren't for the stylishly sculpted fuzz guitar, "The Truth Won't Set Us Free" could be suited for a honky tonk hardwood floor, while "One Last Time" contains some fleet-fingered picking -- but the record feels settled and assured as it leans into its maturation. A large part of its charm lies in its ease. Watkins never is particularly forceful -- she seems to lead from her voice, reveling in its lightness but also letting it bruise when it verges toward heartbreak -- but she's certainly considered, choosing her topics and tempos with care. Young in All the Wrong Ways underscores this sense of craft by accentuating steady, almost thundering, rock rhythms, anxious guitars, and also delicately structured ballads that function as tonic to the bold incidents elsewhere.

It's a brief album, ten songs lasting no longer than 41 minutes, but it feels deep due to its nicely shifting sounds and styles, not to mention the sense that Watkins is setting into her own skin here. She's never seemed awkward -- the opposite, really, releasing her first album with Nickel Creek when she was a teenager -- but what makes Young in All the Wrong Ways resonate is how it touches upon her bluegrass and folk roots while feeling entirely different: the work of a musician who is integrating the whole of her influences into an idiosyncratic voice.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Watkins Sara.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	2690628  
DanPackMan, SuperFist and Class A like this.
post #5399 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 6654
Thumbs up

EmmyLou Harris Quarter Moon In A Ten Cent Town Original Master Recording
post #5400 of 9665 Old 02-26-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Rio is the second studio album by the British rock band Duran Duran, released in 1982.

It remained on the Billboard 200 album chart for 129 weeks. Singles included "My Own Way", "Hungry Like the Wolf", "Save a Prayer", and "Rio".

John Taylor takes credit for the title. He was particularly fascinated with the idea of Brazil, and "Rio, to me, was shorthand for the truly foreign, the exotic, a cornucopia of earthly delights, a party that would never stop."

The band travelled to Sri Lanka and Antigua between tour dates to film the memorable videos for the singles "Rio", "Hungry Like the Wolf" and "Save a Prayer". While filming the videos, guitarist Andy Taylor contracted a tropical virus and was hospitalized on his return to England.

The image on the album's distinctive purple cover was painted by artist Patrick Nagel. In 1984, at the age of 38, Nagel participated in a 15-minute celebrity "Aerobathon" to raise funds for the American Heart Association. Afterwards, he was found dead in his car, and doctors determined by autopsy that he had suffered a heart attack.

Rio was listed at #65 in the NME "100 Greatest Albums of All Time". In 2013, Rio was voted number 3 in BBC's Top 100 Favorite Albums of all time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page