Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now Part 2 - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16087Likes

post #2791 of 3211 Old 10-20-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 5640

Angel Olsen-All Mirrors
Oct. 2019

File under: Indie-Folk, Indie-Rock

First listen but love the strings on the fourth release from the singer-songwriter.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3211 Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 4859
Aimee Mann

Lost In Space

SACD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aimee Mann - Lost In Space.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	2629956  
postrokfan and Matt2026 like this.

Spoiler!
post #2793 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 14184
Monster Magnet - God Says No

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!

Last edited by PooperScooper; 10-22-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 04:17 AM

Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What!

post #2795 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 4142

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #2796 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 06:59 AM

Testament - Practice What You Preach

post #2797 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 11186
The Cecil Taylor Quintet With John Coltrane - Hard Driving Jazz

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #2798 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 30391
OTIS RUSH | ain't enough comin' in

post #2799 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 6907
King Crimson - Absent Lovers

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #2800 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 20402

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #2801 of 3211 Old 10-21-2019, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 5640

808 State-Transmission Suite
Oct. 2019

File under: Electronic

First new album since 2002. Had to do a double take when I saw this on Tidal. Really, 808 State has a new album? Lol, .

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
post #2802 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 04:40 AM

Refugee

post #2803 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 06:26 AM

Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

post #2804 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 23144
vinyl

Quote:
I Am the Blues is the sixth studio Chicago blues album by Willie Dixon, released in 1970.

The album features songs written by Dixon and originally performed by other artists for Chess Records. Four of the nine songs on I Am the Blues – "Back Door Man", "Spoonful", "I Ain't Superstitious", "The Little Red Rooster" – were originally performed by Howlin' Wolf. "Back Door Man" and "Spoonful" were recorded by Howlin' Wolf in 1960 featuring bass by Willie Dixon, piano work by Otis Spann, drum work by Fred Below, and guitar work by Hubert Sumlin. "The Little Red Rooster" was recorded in 1961 with guitar work by Howlin' Wolf and Hubert Sumlin, piano work by Johnny Jones, bass by Dixon, and drum work by Sam Lay. "I Ain't Superstitious" was recorded in December 1961 with Howlin' Wolf, Hubert Sumlin, and Jimmy Rogers on guitar, Henry Gray on piano, Willie Dixon on bass, and Sam Lay on drums.

The songs "You Shook Me" and "I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man" were first recorded by Muddy Waters. "I'm You Hoochie Coochie Man" was recorded on January 7, 1954 with Waters on vocals and guitar, Little Walter on harmonica, Jimmy Rogers on guitar, Otis Spann on piano, Willie Dixon on bass, and Fred Below on drums. "You Shook Me" was recorded on June 27, 1962.

"The Seventh Son" was recorded by Willie Mabon in 1955. "I Can't Quit You, Baby" was not released on Chess Records; instead it was recorded and released by Otis Rush on the Cobra record label.

AllMusic review:
Having the audacity to state "I Am the Blues," would be preposterous if uttered by almost any other musician, but for Willie Dixon the statement is very close to the truth. As the songwriter behind some of the biggest blues classics ever recorded, had made smash hits for the likes of Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf and the rest of the legendary artists on the Chess Records roster back in the 1950s. With this album he brought his signature style to many of those same classics. Like his bass playing, Dixon's approach is mostly laid-back, lacking the aggression of the aforementioned wild men of the blues, but there is real joy in his voice, and his performances of these songs are about as good as you'll hear done, excepting of course the iconic originals.
William James Dixon (July 1, 1915 – January 29, 1992) was an American blues musician, vocalist, songwriter, arranger and record producer. He was proficient in playing both the upright bass and the guitar, and sang with a distinctive voice, but he is perhaps best known as one of the most prolific songwriters of his time. Next to Muddy Waters, Dixon is recognized as the most influential person in shaping the post–World War II sound of the Chicago blues.

Dixon was an important link between the blues and rock and roll, working with Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley in the late 1950s. His songs have been adapted by numerous rock artists; Jeff Beck, Canned Heat, Cream, the Doors, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, and Steppenwolf all featured at least one of his songs on their debut albums. In 1964, the Rolling Stones reached number one on the UK Singles Chart with their cover of Dixon's "Little Red Rooster". In the same year, the group also covered "I Just Want To Make Love To You" on their debut album, The Rolling Stones.

In 1987, Dixon reached an out-of-court settlement with the rock band Led Zeppelin after suing for plagiarism in the band's use of his music in "Bring It On Home" and lyrics from his composition "You Need Love" (1962) in the band's recording of "Whole Lotta Love"

He received a Grammy Award and was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Dixon's health increasingly deteriorated during the 1970s and the 1980s, primarily as a result of long-term diabetes. Eventually one of his legs was amputated. Dixon died of heart failure on January 29, 1992, in Burbank, California.
Autographed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dixon Willie.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2630586  
post #2805 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Down to My Last Bad Habit is the fourteenth studio album by American country music singer Vince Gill, released in 2016.

Bekka Bramlett - backing vocals (daughter of Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett)
Corrina Gill - backing vocals (daughter of Vince Gill and Amy Grant)
Alison Krauss - backing vocals

AllMusic Review:
The last two Vince Gill albums celebrated their intentions within their titles: 2011's Guitar Slinger found plenty of space for his six-string prowess and his 2013 duet LP with Paul Franklin was a valentine to Bakersfield country. Down to My Last Bad Habit, his first solo album in a half-decade, is a slightly more complicated affair. While it can't be called a concept album, it's certainly unified by a soulful sensibility, trading heavily on slow, simmering grooves and favoring a feel so warm it feels as comfortable as an old tattered sweater. A lot of skill went into a record that appears so casual, and Gill once again is the chief architect of this record, writing every number and co-producing with Justin Niebank, playing all the guitar and singing most of the harmonies, too. Each of these components is impressive on its own -- Gill is a consummate guitarist and his writing is nearly as tasteful and assured -- and it's possible to listen and concentrate only on these elements, marveling at craft that's polished but never too slick, or perhaps being struck how the guitarist finds space for both jazz trumpeter Chris Botti and Nashville upstart Cam, neither feeling out of place in this setting

Nevertheless, the primary attraction of Down to My Last Bad Habit is its vibe, how Gill maintains an elegant, soulful air throughout the record even when he's singing about Jimmy Dickens or sneaking in a little bit of fingerpicking. The only time he breaks the spell is for the closer, "Sad One Comin' On (A Song for George Jones)," a hardcore honky tonky weeper that suits the spirit of the Possum and also serves as a reminder of Gill's deep country roots, but the appeal of Down to My Last Bad Habit feels more Memphis than Nashville: it's Vince Gill's soul album, which is a welcome thing indeed.
Autographed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gill Vince - Down.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2630616  
post #2806 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 11186
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #2807 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 4909
Thumbs up

The Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed
post #2808 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Greatest Hits is a compilation album by Booker T & The MGs, released in 1970.

Booker T. & the M.G.'s are an American instrumental R&B/funk band that was influential in shaping the sound of Southern soul and Memphis soul. The original members of the group were Booker T. Jones (organ, piano), Steve Cropper (guitar), Lewie Steinberg (bass), and Al Jackson Jr. (drums). In the 1960s, as members of the house band of Stax Records, they played on hundreds of recordings by artists including Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Bill Withers, Sam & Dave, Carla Thomas, Rufus Thomas, Johnnie Taylor and Albert King. They also released instrumental records under their own name. As originators of the unique Stax sound, the group was one of the most prolific, respected, and imitated of its era.

Having two white members (Cropper and Dunn), Booker T. & the M.G.'s was one of the first racially integrated rock groups, at a time when soul music and the Memphis music scene in particular were generally considered the preserve of black culture.

For many years, Stax publicity releases stated that the initials in the band's name stood for "Memphis Group", not the MG sports car. However, Musician and record producer Chips Moman, who worked at Stax Records when the band was formed, claimed that the band was named after his sports car, and only after he left the label did Stax's publicity department declare that "M.G." stood for "Memphis Group". Moman had played with Jones and Steinberg in an earlier Stax backing group called the Triumphs, which was also named after his car.

In 1980 the hit feature film The Blues Brothers featured Cropper, Dunn and Hall as part of the primary band backing the Blues Brothers.

In 1993, Booker T. & the M.G.'s toured with Neil Young, backing him on his own compositions; the set list often included a cover of "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" (the original recording by Otis Redding had of course featured Booker T. & the M.G.'s). Booker T. Jones, in collaboration with the band Drive-By Truckers, released the album Potato Hole, featuring Neil Young on guitar, in 2009. He released The Road from Memphis in 2011; the album won a Grammy Award.

The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992, the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville, Tennessee in 2008, the Memphis Music Hall of Fame in 2012, and the Blues Hall of Fame in 2019.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Booker T.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2630642  
post #2809 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Doin' It Dylan is a tribute album by Charlie Daniels, released in 2014.

AllMusic Review:
Back when Charlie Daniels was a working musician and not a star, he played on three albums by Bob Dylan -- he played guitar and bass on the sessions that became Nashville Skyline, Self Portrait, and New Morning (which means he also shows up on the acclaimed 2013 archival release, Another Self Portrait (1969-1971)) -- so his decision to cut an album devoted to Dylan is not out of the blue.

What is surprising is that Off the Grid: Doin' It Dylan isn't one of Daniels' tossed-off latter-day albums, but rather a record where Charlie really digs in, savoring the interplay of his band as well as how the words feel in his mouth.

Daniels does indeed choose a few of Bob's densely written songs -- "Mr. Tambourine Man," "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall," and "Just Like a Woman" are here, none of them seeming like easy fits on paper, but each carried with conviction by Charlie -- along with country-rockers that are sure bets: the rollicking ditty "Country Pie," "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight," and "Tangled Up in Blue," whose narrative gets trimmed down and sped up without losing its power. That impassioned reworking of "Tangled Up in Blue" -- which finds a counterpart in a nicely raucous back porch rendition of "Quinn the Eskimo" -- goes a long way toward explaining what's so joyous about Off the Grid.

Daniels enjoys not the words of Dylan so much as the melodies and music, using these songs not as ruminative reflection but full-bore celebration. Even the ballads -- and there are a few here -- are played for keeps and if that music-first emphasis is a relative rarity among Dylan tributes, it's also true that it's been a long time since Daniels has sounded as engaged on a record as he is here.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Daniels Charlie - Doin' It Dylan.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2630646  
post #2810 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 30391
GENESIS | the lamb lies down on broadway

post #2811 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Songs of Earth and Sky is an album by Art and Paul, released in 1960.

AllMusic Biography:
Four years before Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (who would have been "Paul and Artie" in any case) brought their folk-based vocalizing to Columbia Records, the label was host to a rather different duo with the same given names: Art & Paul. Art Podell and Paul Potash were young denizens of the middle-late 1950's NY-folk scene when they decided to start performing together in Greenwich Village. Both Potash and Podell were skilled guitarists and talented songwriters, and Podell was a particularly talented arranger.

One of the more distinctive duos working out of NY, they were signed to Columbia Records in 1960, at a time when record companies were starting to look for the next Kingston Trio, and Columbia was hoping for lightning to strike again, as it had for Terry Gilkyson and the Easy Riders with "Marianne." They cut two albums for Columbia, of which the first, Songs of Earth and Sky, is regarded as a "lost" classic of the late '50s/early '60s folk boom. Highlighted by their adaptation of John Lomax and Alan Lomax's version of "All The Pretty Horses," the album achieved a minor cult following on the East Coast and sold well enough to justify a second LP, Hangin', Drinkin' and Stuff, in 1961. That same year, the duo left NY for California to test the waters of the West Coast folk scene, but they'd broken up the team before the year was out.

A few months later, in early 1962, Art Podell joined the early, studio-bound version of the New Christy Minstrels, whose debut (and only album in that incarnation) created enough of a splash to justify a second album and the creation of a performing group. Podell became part of that active group of Christies, by some estimates the dominant member along with founder Randy Sparks. Meanwhile, Paul Potash became a member of Sparks' New Christy Minstrels farm-team, the Back Porch Majority and, two years later, in 1964, joined the Christies, working alongside his former partner for a year.

Art Podell later worked with Jim Helms, recording Jim and Art Sing and Play A Folk Song, which featured the traditional number "Careless Love," and also appeared (with Jim Rosmini, among others) on Mason Williams' The Banjo Story album. He became a producer and, in collaboration with Nick Woods, was responsible for recording Biff Rose's The Thorn In Mrs. Rose's Side for the Tetragrammaton label, which contained the original version of "Fill Your Heart," a song that David Bowie covered on Hunky Dory. Paul Potash continued performing, even sharing a stage with Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band in 1967 in California.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Art Paul.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	2630662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Art & Paul.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2630664  
kevin j and Class A like this.
post #2812 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
We're All Gonna Die is the fifth studio album by American folk rock band Dawes, released in 2016.

Dawes was formed from the band Simon Dawes after the departure of co-songwriter Blake Mills, subsequently abandoning a post-punk sound in favor of folk rock. Dawes has been described as having a Laurel Canyon sound derived from artists such as Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young.

At the invitation of producer Jonathan Wilson, the band joined a local informal jam session that included Conor Oberst, The Black Crowes's Chris Robinson, and Benmont Tench (Tom Petty). The band recorded their debut album, North Hills, in Laurel Canyon in a live setting to analog tape, resulting in a sound that Rolling Stone magazine called "authentically vintage". Wilco multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone is also credited on the release.

Dawes played alongside Jackson Browne at the Occupy Wall Street in 2011. In 2015, Dawes performed on The Late Show with David Letterman, paying tribute to Warren Zevon.

Duane Betts (Allman Brothers) joined the band as a member of their touring ensemble in June 2015, performing as an auxiliary guitarist.

Dawes' fifth album, We're All Gonna Die was released in 2016, marked a distinct change of style, building on the band's previous Laurel Canyon folk rock sound with a sonic twist, adding in more synthesized keyboard sounds, heavier bass, and an overall different sound for the group (while still staying true to their roots).

NPR Review:
Dawes has made its name with a sumptuous folk-rock take on classic Americana. You'd barely know it, though, by listening to the band's fifth and latest full-length, We're All Gonna Die. The rolling, pastoral twang that singer-guitarist Taylor Goldsmith has cultivated since Dawes' debut, 2009's North Hills, is evident in bursts and flashes on the new album, but there's something more sprawling here. Through travelogues, story-songs and a literary quality that's been honed to a cutting edge, Goldsmith and his band have crafted their most ambitious record to date.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dawes.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2630674  
post #2813 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 26229
THE TURTLES
. . . . .20 Greatest Hits

(CD)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	THE TURTLES 20 Greatest Hits (CD).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	2630700  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #2814 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 26229
Close to the Edge
. . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes

(CD)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yes Close to the Edge (CD).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	2630748  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300

Last edited by Matt2026; 10-22-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #2815 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hawkwind - Hall Of the Mountain Grill

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #2816 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #2817 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #2818 of 3211 Old 10-22-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Steely Dan ‎– Countdown To Ecstasy
Label: MCA Records ‎– MCAD-37041
Format: CD, Album, Reissue
Released: 1985
Genre: Rock
Style: Pop Rock
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4CFD757F-9295-470E-B056-E7BF5C8DA2A7.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	2630860  

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #2819 of 3211 Old 10-23-2019, 03:10 AM

Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care

post #2820 of 3211 Old 10-23-2019, 03:51 AM

Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today

JA Fant, postrokfan and morgiastic like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page