Sound output question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sound output question

I noticed during today's listening session that I had to turn my preamps volume control up about 4 notches further then I normally have it set for the normal volume I listen to, which isn't absurdly loud, but just right for my ears as far as the clarity and bass punch and so on.

Yesterday was fine, nothing has changed as far as any of the settings go on any of the equipment used.
The set up is:
Carver A-400x power amp 200 WPC (AC Infinity fan center on top which keeps amp temp at 85 degrees, so no overheating)
Adcom GFP 555 Preamp, (tone control defeat running through Audio Control)
Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi SACD player and Denon DVD-2200 SACD player
Audio Control C-101 Octave EQ
Klipsch KSW 200 powered Sub Power amp is running speaker outputs through the Hi level speaker connections on the Sub.
Polk RTi A7 speakers (Not Bi-wired)

The sound quality seems to be the same , but the increase in the volume control needed is puzzling me.

Any suggestions what to look for as far as any internal parts maybe in the amps output etc, or am I just being to anal LOL.

thanks for any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2161 Post(s)
Liked: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
... or am I just being to anal LOL.
Has my vote.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
I noticed during today's listening session that I had to turn my preamps volume control up about 4 notches further then I normally have it set for the normal volume I listen to, which isn't absurdly loud, but just right for my ears as far as the clarity and bass punch and so on.

Yesterday was fine, nothing has changed as far as any of the settings go on any of the equipment used.
The set up is:
Carver A-400x power amp 200 WPC (AC Infinity fan center on top which keeps amp temp at 85 degrees, so no overheating)
Klipsch KSW 200 powered Sub Power amp is running speaker outputs through the Hi level speaker connections on the Sub.

The sound quality seems to be the same , but the increase in the volume control needed is puzzling me.

Any suggestions what to look for as far as any internal parts maybe in the amps output etc, or am I just being to anal LOL.

Perhaps your “normal level” has cause hearing loss...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by brireeves629 View Post
Perhaps your “normal level” has cause hearing loss...
Or just a build-up of ear wax, a common cold, or just got off a shift at a warehouse working with and around loud equipment. It happens.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 418
You have different sources, do you have to turn up for every different sources or just one of them. If you have to turn up on all of them, then the problem can be on either the preamp or the power amp.

Is the L and R side both sound lower or just one side? It is hard to imagine both channels go soft at the same time.

Do you have another power amp or preamp to replace either one and see what happen?

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; 06-25-2019 at 12:26 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm sure his hardware setup is fine and operating as normal. Our auditory system can sometimes be off-kilter for any number of reasons, even if not immediately apparent. I've experienced the OP's findings a few times across multiple setups.

Last edited by NewAger; 06-25-2019 at 08:09 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Ha, I never have issue of hearing louder or quieter. Always seems the same at the same setting.

But anyway, my suggestion is very basic, if all sources ( CD, streaming, radio etc.) have the same loudness, then the source is not the problem. Left and Right channels are separate circuit, it's hard to imagine both get quieter at the same time. If OP feel both sides got quieter, then it's more likely it's his ears. I just don't want to make assumption at this point.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

The set up is:

Gee. How did it sound today?
post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 114
The only variable not mentioned is the media. Not all recordings are at the same level. If the hardware hasn't changed and sources are all at the same input level the recording is all that's left. Of course, assuming his ears are clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page