• 1 Post By Subsider
  • 2 Post By Subsider

post #1 of 14 Old 07-01-2019, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 199
cant decide on new Turntable

ive been looking for a new TT for about 5 months . problem is deciding on one that's in my budget of 1250.00 with no cart as I have a new sumiko amethyst that I will be using . A local shop has a used Thorens 321 w/ a sumiko Arm that can be had for 800.00 bucks . ive also been eyeing a project classic sb which Im kind of leaning toward . and then there is the Rega Planar 3 that also fits my budget .

Any suggestion or input would be helpful ! out of these 3 or even one I haven't looked at yet ! really want to make this purchase in the next few weeks . Im using a project ds tube pre amp . quality and full adjustability of cart setup is my highest priority .

What's ya'lls opinion/ experiences

Project Classic SB, Sumiko Amythest, Project DS Tube
Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony X800, Xbox one, HTPC
Sony 930 E
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS SB200, Polk center (need to replace), Paridigm studio 60v3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-01-2019, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 209
While I am very happy with my much less expensive than your budget Project Debut Carbon, I wish I had the budget for the Rega Planar 3. Not that I've heard one, but with the praise/reviews it gets, that is the one I wish I had the budget for.

That being said, I'd upgrade the cart on my Carbon (already went to Ortofon 2M Blue from Red) to something much more significant before I would upgrade to an entirely new table.

How much time can you spend with the Thorens? Would they let you do an in-house (yours) demo? are they the same shop w/the other two options? I'd ask if you could spend a weekend with each one. You've already spent this much time looking/narrowing, another 3 weekends to see which you like best is nothing.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #3 of 14 Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsider View Post
ive been looking for a new TT for about 5 months . problem is deciding on one that's in my budget of 1250.00 with no cart as I have a new sumiko amethyst that I will be using . A local shop has a used Thorens 321 w/ a sumiko Arm that can be had for 800.00 bucks . ive also been eyeing a project classic sb which Im kind of leaning toward . and then there is the Rega Planar 3 that also fits my budget .

Any suggestion or input would be helpful ! out of these 3 or even one I haven't looked at yet ! really want to make this purchase in the next few weeks . Im using a project ds tube pre amp . quality and full adjustability of cart setup is my highest priority .

What's ya'lls opinion/ experiences
What do you think of something from Clearaudio?

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...mbo-turntables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

im about 99% sure ill be ordering the Project classic SB . I can get it for just over what my budget is/was lol unfortunately its over my budget because I cant seem to get one without the preinstalled cart . I will be using my Sumiko Amythest cart which has less the 80 hrs on it and to me has a better more open and richer sound with better bass then the Ortofon 2M Bronze I auditioned and leaps better the my 2m Blue . a small part of my decision is based on the classic look but I have heard the non SB classic which was dead silent in every way but with a 2m Silver(red) which to me is horribly bright . I think the Classic SB with my Sumiko Amythest cart and DS pre amp w/ vintage Sylvania tubes will provide me with the sound and quality im looking for in my budget and should be a pretty good upgrade to my current low budget TT .

Edit : I went ahead and ordered The Classic SB
Muphasta likes this.

Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony 930 E
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS SB200, Polk center (need to replace), Paridigm studio 60v3

Last edited by Subsider; 07-06-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
im about 99% sure ill be ordering the Project classic SB . I can get it for just over what my budget is/was lol unfortunately its over my budget because I cant seem to get one without the preinstalled cart . I will be using my Sumiko Amythest cart which has less the 80 hrs on it and to me has a better more open and richer sound with better bass then the Ortofon 2M Bronze I auditioned and leaps better the my 2m Blue . a small part of my decision is based on the classic look but I have heard the non SB classic which was dead silent in every way but with a 2m Silver(red) which to me is horribly bright . I think the Classic SB with my Sumiko Amythest cart and DS pre amp w/ vintage Sylvania tubes will provide me with the sound and quality im looking for in my budget and should be a pretty good upgrade to my current low budget TT .

Have you listened to anything yet? Did you give the Bronze a chance?

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #6 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 4434
Thumbs up

You can order a Rega P3 w/out cart for $945. Carts w/Rega TT's are optional.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Love to hear your thoughts on the Classic.

Thanks.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-15-2019, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
Have you listened to anything yet? Did you give the Bronze a chance?
yes ive listened to the 2m Bronze and it is a very nice cart however the Sumiko Amethyst to me has tighter base , more body and cleaner highs . if it lacks anything from the bronze its in the upper end of the mids .
Muphasta likes this.

Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony 930 E
post #9 of 14 Old 07-15-2019, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
You can order a Rega P3 w/out cart for $945. Carts w/Rega TT's are optional.

The Rega P3 is a great TT and I did consider it , in fact it was that or the Classic SB. after auditioning both I was still hard pressed on a decision . In the end I really like the looks of the Classic SB so I decided on that . wont be using the included cart but I already found a home for it . The Classic SB will end up costing me about 200.00 more in the end but ...

Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony 930 E
post #10 of 14 Old 07-15-2019, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Russell View Post
Love to hear your thoughts on the Classic.

Thanks.

will be picking it up tonight and expect it to be a pretty good upgrade to the AT TT im using now . Ill let ya's know after a cpl days with er .

Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony 930 E
post #11 of 14 Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
will be picking it up tonight and expect it to be a pretty good upgrade to the AT TT im using now . Ill let ya's know after a cpl days with er .
I just got a ProJect Classic a few weeks ago. I love the build quality and everything about the table except the cart. I find the 2M Silver to be too bright/gritty for my taste. Letting it break in for a while, and in the meantime I'm investigating warmer sounding cartridges. Definitely the weak link to this system.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-16-2019, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
I just got a ProJect Classic a few weeks ago. I love the build quality and everything about the table except the cart. I find the 2M Silver to be too bright/gritty for my taste. Letting it break in for a while, and in the meantime I'm investigating warmer sounding cartridges. Definitely the weak link to this system.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
ive heard the 2msilver which is basically a 2m red . it is a rather bright and to me harsh sounding cart . I have a 2m blue which is much better but still slightly on the bright side . Ive been using a Sumiko Amethyst cart for the last few months and love it ! warm , great bass, open and no hint of brightness. That's what is being installed on my Classic SB . ill be using my project ds tube pre amp with nos Sylvania tubes . should be a great combo ! unfortunately it wasn't ready for me to pick up last night so ill have to wait till tonight to hear the fruits of my efforts lol

Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony 930 E
post #13 of 14 Old 07-17-2019, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
ive heard the 2msilver which is basically a 2m red . it is a rather bright and to me harsh sounding cart . I have a 2m blue which is much better but still slightly on the bright side . Ive been using a Sumiko Amethyst cart for the last few months and love it ! warm , great bass, open and no hint of brightness. That's what is being installed on my Classic SB . ill be using my project ds tube pre amp with nos Sylvania tubes . should be a great combo ! unfortunately it wasn't ready for me to pick up last night so ill have to wait till tonight to hear the fruits of my efforts lol
That Sumiko is a nice cart! Looking forward to hearing what you think of your new combo.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-18-2019, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

my initial opinion is wow ! dead silent , very well made . the quality of the build is exactly what you would expect for a TT at its cost or slightly above. musically it has stepped up the game of my Sumiko Amethyst cart . cleaner, even more open with some added bloom over my old TT . even the bass seems tighter. The electronic speed controller control may take a little time to get use to but not having to move the belt to play 45 speed is a added benefit . so far I love this TT . I had the day off because of all the rain we got here yesterday so i spent the day spinning records with a smile on my face .

only thing id of liked better is a way to lock the arm down , although its not as big of a deal as I had thought it might be .

Click image for larger version

Name:	66792527_2505459632807209_7272648309632663552_o.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	2592122
Class A and Muphasta like this.

Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony 930 E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page