Looking to set up a 2 or 2.1 stereo area, seeking amp suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By josh6113
  • 3 Post By plasma_fan
  • 1 Post By holl_ands
  • 1 Post By josh6113
  • 1 Post By MRAYB
  • 1 Post By josh6113
  • 1 Post By MRAYB

post #1 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Looking to set up a 2 or 2.1 stereo area, seeking amp suggestions

I already have a phono pre-amp (it's a tiny, little Rolls VP29), but looking for a 2.1 amp. I prefer it to be new, and suited for passive speakers with the option of adding a small subwoofer later on. I'm thinking possibly along the lines of a TPA3116D2 on the cheap, and something also available within Canada without having to import from the US. My budget is probably going to be capped at $90CDN max, better if I can get less than that. I am not interested at this time in anything high-end, I just want a low-footprint area to set up my vinyl, and a couple of speakers. Like anything, I am always looking for the best-bang-for-your-buck within my price range. I'm probably not going to get around to it for a while, I'm just trying to gather my ducks in a row so that when I do decide, I don't have to fart around thinking about/mulling over anything.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 116
That Fosi amp would work...I actually use a 2.0 amp by Fosi to power my 2 definitive 9060 towers in a stereo setup.The amp puts out 100 wpc and sounds clean at any volume I've tried.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Ryan Statz likes this.

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #3 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Dayton DTA2.1BT2, 2x50 watt speakers and 1x100 watt subwoofer, with a variable crossover. Listening to music on one right now, and it sounds great. It pushes the budget slightly but its a really good little amp for the money that will do exactly what your asking for. Pretty sure you can get it from Solen. Can certainly get it at parts express and shipping into Canada from parts express is painless.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...BoCocAQAvD_BwE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I summarized various Texas Inst. TPA3116D2 Amplifier alternatives here, depending on whether you want just L/R or L/R+SW or want to add Bluetooth [to stream music from your Cellphone] or to add a Remote Control [very rare at these price points]:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57019198

You might want to do your own investigation, but I suspect that the models that add a 100-W Sub-Woofer Output MAY or MAY NOT have a fixed 80-Hz LFE Filter on signals TO the Sub-Woofer, but I doubt that they remove these Low Freqs going to the L/R Speakers....I say this because there is NO ability to configure between just L/R mode [w/o S-W] and L/R mode with Bass Re-Direction. [User comment said he believed that Dayton Audio DTA-2.1BT2 did NOT roll-off S-W Freqs from L/R Speakers.]

Also note that most Powered Sub-Woofers have this same deficiency when using their L/R Speaker Pass-Thru Connections [rather than the preferred Line-Level RCA Jack Inputs]. A High Pass Filter with VARIABLE Frequency and VARIABLE [2-16 ohm] Impedance is just not feasible at such a low Frequency and wide range of Speaker Impedance. So most S-W Designers who implemented the [optional] L/R Speaker Pass-Thru feature are forced into deciding that ALL Low-Freqs are simply Passed Thru to the L/R Speakers, obviating the advantage of using JUST the Lower Distortion Sub-Woofer to reproduce JUST those Freqs.

Hence, when you chose to add a Sub-Woofer (Powered would likely be less expensive than non-Powered + new Amp), I recommend that you run the L/R INPUTS through an Electronic Filter which Re-Directs ALL Low Freqs to the Line-Level Sub-Woofer RCA Output Jack and strips out the Low Freqs on the L/R RCA Outputs before going to the Inputs on your new TPA3116D2 Amp, such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Audio-.../dp/B002QUZHXW
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Planet-Au...sover/24221720
http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1016914324.pdf [User Manual]

Which is going to need a 3+ Amp, 12-VDC Power Supply for Home application, such as:
https://www.amazon.com/100V-240V-Switching-Transformer-Converter-Universal/dp/B07DH3QDZ4
Ryan Statz likes this.

Last edited by holl_ands; 07-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
That Fosi amp would work...I actually use a 2.0 amp by Fosi to power my 2 definitive 9060 towers in a stereo setup.The amp puts out 100 wpc and sounds clean at any volume I've tried.

That's the precise brand I was thinking of, except the 2.1 version (which has 2 x 50W L/R + 100W Sub) - it's ~$80 on amazon.ca, and well within my budget.

Thanks, I think that's probably what I'll settle on.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
I summarized various Texas Inst. TPA3116D2 Amplifier alternatives here, depending on whether you want just L/R or L/R+SW or want to add Bluetooth [to stream music from your Cellphone] or to add a Remote Control [very rare at these price points]:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57019198

You might want to do your own investigation, but I suspect that the models that add a 100-W Sub-Woofer Output MAY or MAY NOT have a fixed 80-Hz LFE Filter on signals TO the Sub-Woofer, but I doubt that they remove these Low Freqs going to the L/R Speakers....I say this because there is NO ability to configure between just L/R mode [w/o S-W] and L/R mode with Bass Re-Direction.

Also note that most Powered Sub-Woofers have this same deficiency when using their L/R Speaker Pass-Thru Connections [rather than the preferred Line-Level RCA Jack Inputs]. A High Pass Filter with VARIABLE Frequency and VARIABLE [2-16 ohm] Impedance is just not feasible at such a low Frequency and wide range of Speaker Impedance. So most S-W Designers who implemented the [optional] L/R Speaker Pass-Thru feature are forced into deciding that ALL Low-Freqs are simply Passed Thru to the L/R Speakers, obviating the advantage of using JUST the Lower Distortion Sub-Woofer to reproduce JUST those Freqs.

Hence, when you chose to add a Sub-Woofer (Powered would likely be less expensive than non-Powered + new Amp), I recommend that you run the L/R INPUTS through an Electronic Filter which Re-Directs ALL Low Freqs to the Line-Level Sub-Woofer RCA Output Jack and strips out the Low Freqs on the L/R RCA Outputs before going to your new TPA3116D2 Amp, such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Audio-.../dp/B002QUZHXW
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Planet-Au...sover/24221720
http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1016914324.pdf [User Manual]

Which is going to need a 3+ Amp, 12-VDC Power Supply for Home application, such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Gonine-Adapte.../dp/B07Q7N14ZY
Thanks for this - I will keep this all in mind when I go to start setting this all up in my space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_fan View Post
Dayton DTA2.1BT2, 2x50 watt speakers and 1x100 watt subwoofer, with a variable crossover. Listening to music on one right now, and it sounds great. It pushes the budget slightly but its a really good little amp for the money that will do exactly what your asking for. Pretty sure you can get it from Solen. Can certainly get it at parts express and shipping into Canada from parts express is painless.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...BoCocAQAvD_BwE
If I can find one for less than $100CDN, I might consider that, too - though the crossover dial is a bit weird...

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 07-11-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
That's the precise brand I was thinking of, except the 2.1 version (which has 2 x 50W L/R + 100W Sub) - it's ~$80 on amazon.ca, and well within my budget.

Thanks, I think that's probably what I'll settle on.
Great...I think you will like it...I use it with an emotiva PT-100 pre amp.I also have another Fosi 2.0 amp in the bedroom driving a stereo pair of paradigm bookshelves with the same pre amp.Both amps are over 6 months old and left on 24/7 and no issues what so ever...they remain cool aswell.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
Great...I think you will like it...I use it with an emotiva PT-100 pre amp.I also have another Fosi 2.0 amp in the bedroom driving a stereo pair of paradigm bookshelves with the same pre amp.Both amps are over 6 months old and left on 24/7 and no issues what so ever...they remain cool aswell.

Do you think it's better to just go with the 2.0, and find a decent pair of used 3-way speakers or the 2.1 version with SW? The spare speakers I do have that I was thinking of using are some Pioneer BS22's, which is partially why I was considering the 2.1 to get a bit more bass depth.

Edit: I just saw that there's a Fosi 200W (100W x 2) version as well, which would allow me to drive fairly decent speakers.

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 07-11-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you think it's better to just go with the 2.0, and find a decent pair of used 3-way speakers or the 2.1 version with SW? The spare speakers I do have that I was thinking of using are some Pioneer BS22's, which is partially why I was considering the 2.1 to get a bit more bass depth.

Edit: I just saw that there's a Fosi 200W (100W x 2) version as well, which would allow me to drive fairly decent speakers.
The Fosi 100wpc x2 is what I use .. not the Bluetooth version...it drives my definitive 9060 towers easy...my towers have a powered woofer but still the Fosi amp drives each towers 3 4.5 inch mids and 2 tweeters with ease...totally up to you my friend.

MRAYB likes this.

post #10 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I like the little FOSI amps as well. Using one now on the Denon X4400H for zone 2 on the patio with some bookshelves hung up, Works/sounds great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
josh6113 likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
I like the little FOSI amps as well. Using one now on the Denon X4400H for zone 2 on the patio with some bookshelves hung up, Works/sounds great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes these little class D amps are great and sound wonderful...I wish more people would give them a try......I've used 1000 dollar pioneer avrs...marantz slim avrs and even a crown xls 1002 amp on my towers and to me this little Fosi 100 wpc amp sounds the best on my towers in my 2.0 setup...awesome little amp.

MRAYB likes this.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Yep, for like $75 they are great for their intended purpose. Plus, music always sounds better outside anyway!
josh6113 likes this.

Last edited by MRAYB; 07-11-2019 at 03:39 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Yep, for like $75 they are great for their intended purpose. Plus, music always sound better outside anyway!
True that...this is why I love tech...an amp this small can push alot of power...amps that push 20 or so watts can cost 1000+...that is crazy...glad I found these small but powerful amps...

post #14 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Thanks for this - I will keep this all in mind when I go to start setting this all up in my space.

If I can find one for less than $100CDN, I might consider that, too - though the crossover dial is a bit weird...

Looked up the Fosi 2.1 amp, it looks very similar to the older version of the Dayton I linked. Likely a great unit for the money. Why I like the Dayton is because of the adjustable crossover, the fosi will have a fixed crossover, probably around 160 hz which is usually a bit on the high side.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_fan View Post
Looked up the Fosi 2.1 amp, it looks very similar to the older version of the Dayton I linked. Likely a great unit for the money. Why I like the Dayton is because of the adjustable crossover, the fosi will have a fixed crossover, probably around 160 hz which is usually a bit on the high side.
One of the knobs on the Fosi 2.1 is Frequency, which I think is a crossover setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page