Crackling background noise after resuming video from pause - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DanPackMan
  • 1 Post By NewAger

post #1 of 3 Old 07-14-2019, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Crackling background noise after resuming video from pause

Here is my setup - Desktop -> USB DAC (Teac UD301) connected to headphones and an AVR -> Desktop Speakers.

I am having issue with random crackling noise with audio after I resume after pause while watching video both on YouTube (chrome) and MPC/VLC. The noise goes away once I turn DAC off and back on. Its also not reproducible and happens randomly.

Is it a cable vs DAC vs USB output from PC issue?
Any suggestions?

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-14-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
I can only speculate, my guess is its more likely to be audio/video engine on the PC side. Something gets out of whack between video and audio timing after pause, maybe it doesn't handle buffering properly and resetting the DAC is kind of a start over.

Just a guess and I really don't know what to suggest as far as a fix. Update audio drivers and/or play with any audio settings, or possibly even GPU settings changes. Update or Re install usb driver. Try hardware vs software acceleration (in VLC -- Preferences--> Codecs) if/where you have the option.

EDIT: Chrome also has a hardware acceleration setting under Advanced settings. An easy thing to try.
nonstopdoc1 likes this.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 07-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Posted in the same thread at the headphone section:

"Interesting that you posted this, as I just recently mentioned the Teac UD-301 as one of the DACs out there with USB problems. It's not just you. Sometimes the audio comes through as garbled or quickly drops out.

Based on my testing with multiple setups, it is a DAC issue and cannot be rectified through software. Other people have mentioned the same problem with this DAC and the AI-301. Teac is not the only company to have products with USB implementation problems, though most should have it figured out by now."

To add more, USB issues with DACs have been sort of a silent calamity. Reviewers usually don't listen to gear long enough to take notice or the problems are very subtle. Some people think they have some kind of grounding issue (seen this complaint regarding certain Schiit DACs) when it could be one of many different problems related to the USB implementation.

For a long time before I got other DACs that operated perfectly, I thought my PCs were at fault. Not the case.
nonstopdoc1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page