FM Atenna recomendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-14-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
FM Atenna recomendations

Looking for any input as far as what is a good FM antenna for my Yamaha T-1020 tuner, specifically FM listening running through a Adcom GFP-555.

I tried the Tune Trapper with no luck, in fact the 2 wire speaker wire I was using brought better reception, so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, I know there are factors that fall into place, area , etc . I am in Henderson NV which is outskirts of Las Vegas.

I was trying not to spen the amount for the Magnum Dynalab ST-2, but if that is what it takes.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Are you talking inside or outside installation? I have a 30ft tower with an hdtv/fm antenna and rotor up top to serve the house. Didn't want to tap into that just for my stereo in the garage. Used one of these about halfway up the tower with coax running to the old Sony I use. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have seen users keep these inside with good results. Just a matter of hiding it somewhere inside.

Last edited by MRAYB; 07-14-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-14-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I was trying for a Indoor , but if I went outdoor the extent I was thinking would be something somewhat compact like the Magnum-Dynalab ST-2, unless there is a similiar to the size of the ST-2, I am not in the boonies where I can prop up a tall mast type.

Although the one you posted could be just installed on a pole not to high off my patio area on roof and just run a cable through the wall up to that, hmmm , price is right also.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Last edited by pizzano; 07-14-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
I was trying for a Indoor , but if I went outdoor the extent I was thinking would be something somewhat compact like the Magnum-Dynalab ST-2, unless there is a similiar to the size of the ST-2, I am not in the boonies where I can prop up a tall mast type.

Although the one you posted could be just installed on a pole not to high off my patio area on roof and just run a cable through the wall up to that, hmmm , price is right also.

An antenna in the attic a possibility?
post #5 of 13 Old 07-14-2019, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
An antenna in the attic a possibility?
I would have to fish the cable up to the attic, 130 degrees up there now a days, and I am disabled, but I thought about it, for me its much easier to pop it out the outside wall to patio area up to the roof . Audio system is only 10 feet from that wall, but thanks for the idea!!

Last edited by pizzano; 07-14-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:

Try it inside first. If you can hide it permanently somewhere inside, and it pulls in good, done. If not, outside will be a major improvement in reception. I did just drill a hole through my back garage door wall up top by the tower to accept the coax. More channels than I care about.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Just a suggestion, but many TV Cable installations include radio. I've not used this in ages, but it used to be there.

Next how much Antenna you need will depend on where you live. If you are in a rural area, you might need a larger antenna. If you are in a city you might get by with something more basic. Do you get decent FM reception in your car? What happens if you use a common loop or "T" antenna? How good is the reception?

I have successfully used a full-sized VHF/UHF/FM Antenna in my attic, so that is a workable possibility.

Though I don't have direct experience with this antenna it allegedly has 150 mile range and is motorized to it can be rotated -

https://www.amazon.com/Amplified-Dig...dp/B004NQMCDK/

Also, we have to consider Budget. Given the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 ($129) you are willing to spend a considerable amount of money.

https://www.amazon.com/MAGNUM-DYNALA...dp/B003ETW2F0/

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-16-2019 at 11:18 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
I was trying not to spen the amount for the Magnum Dynalab ST-2, but if that is what it takes.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Also, we have to consider Budget. Give the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 ($129) you are willing to spend a considerable amount of money.

The OP is already aware of the ST-2.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Make sure if you mount it outside that you run the coax coming inside through a well grounded quality grounding block. Grounding the mast is also good practice but not as important as the grounding block. One lightning hit will raise hell in your house.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source

Last edited by vzphoneman; 07-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
The OP is already aware of the ST-2.
Yes, which is why I listed it with the price. The inquiry was about his working budget. Considering that he is considering the ST-2, that implies a budget of at least $129, though it would be better for him to tell us than to leave us to guess.

Stevebluewizard
post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
I was trying not to spen the amount for the Magnum Dynalab ST-2, but if that is what it takes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Yes, which is why I listed it with the price. The inquiry was about his working budget. Considering that he is considering the ST-2, that implies a budget of at least $129, though it would be better for him to tell us than to leave us to guess.
His budget is trying not to spend the amount for the ST-2.
I would assume his working budget would be $129.... only if that's what it takes.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #12 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is probably worth noting that the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 is 54 inches in length. This can be found in the Amazon description about halfway down the page just below the - "Compare with similar items" - section.

"
The ST-2 FM Antenna offers greatly enhanced FM tuning performance and signal strength. 54 inches in length."

Is that going to make a difference?

Steve/bluewizard
post #13 of 13 Old 07-17-2019, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I likewise liked the ST2 for indoor use in our townhome, but got cold feet when I was told it has low output. Their silver ribbon is reported as very good but a bit bulkier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page