Best 2 channel amp options.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I’m looking to change my current setup and have a few options that I’m trying to figure out. I’m thinking Sonos Connect and Stereo Amp, Sonos Amp or use preout AVR through another amp or something else?

My current setup in the living room..

Project debut 3 turntable
Project Phonobox preamp
20 year old Cambridge Audio A4 amp
20 year old Mission 701 speakers

Denon AVR-X1400H receiver
Q acoustics surround (4x 3010s, 1x 3090c, 1x 3070s)

My aims are to integrate the living room with the Sonos setup in the rest of the house and some child proofing. The surround sound is great for TV/Movies but I don’t think it’s the best quality option to connect the turntable directly to it.

To that end some rearrangement is in order..

Option 1. - add a Sonos Connect, the cheapest option. Lacks airplay and as I understand it won’t work with the Alexa commands elsewhere in the house. This would be added to the stereo setup with little else changing.

Option 2. - replace the Cambridge Amp with Sonos Amp. I lose the analogue chain from the turntable with this option, but I understand it to be a very capable amp. I gain Airplay support and also would be able to relay the vinyl to other Sonos units in the house (this is a secondary benefit).

Option 3. - get a stereo amp with an AV input from the AVR and connect it to the 3010 surround speakers. Turntable and a new Sonos Connect are connected to the new stereo amp. Old Cambridge and Mission speakers get retired. This is the most child proof option with all speakers wall mounted and no hefty speakers on stands to be pulled over.

For the budget of £600 (price of Sonos Amp) what are the best bets for these options or is there another way I’ve not thought of?

Bluetooth options and other connectivity options are not of huge importance to me. My mission speakers are a bit vulnerable to being pulled over so if I keep them I’ll likely spike them to the stand and try and weigh the stand down.

Last edited by deeopey; 07-21-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Seems to me it comes down to how you feel about listening to music through the current Denon/QA setup. Have you tried it out in 2.1 channel stereo?

You could retire the Cambridge and the Mission, even if only temporarily. This would simplify your setup and achieve the childproofing you are looking for. The Denon is a decent receiver and the QAs have a very nice sound. I had QA 3050s in my previous two channel system.

I have teenagers now so I remember the childproofing stage. As with most kid related things, it's very temporary. I would suggest you ask yourself if you like the AV setup for music too (in 2.1 channel mode). If that's good for now, you have your answer with all the other benefits with that setup.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2019, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Seems to me it comes down to how you feel about listening to music through the current Denon/QA setup. Have you tried it out in 2.1 channel stereo?

You could retire the Cambridge and the Mission, even if only temporarily. This would simplify your setup and achieve the childproofing you are looking for. The Denon is a decent receiver and the QAs have a very nice sound. I had QA 3050s in my previous two channel system.

I have teenagers now so I remember the childproofing stage. As with most kid related things, it's very temporary. I would suggest you ask yourself if you like the AV setup for music too (in 2.1 channel mode). If that's good for now, you have your answer with all the other benefits with that setup.
What, there may be a solution that doesn't involve buying more stuff?! ;-)

It's a good point, you are of course right, I should give the Denon a proper go with the turntable. It will take some rearrangement but no more than any other solution and yes it is temporary. My daughter isn't crawling yet but she's very keen, I just want to move anything that can be pulled over!

Reading more about the Sonos connect it does sound like an expensive and not exactly future proofed solution, it's long overdue a refresh. It seems Sonos Amp is the only modern solution they offer for turntable output and given it's not exactly ideal I'm not sure it's the solution I'm looking for yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page