AVS Forum banner

Best stereo amp and pre amp combo <$1000?

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JimMeader 
#1 ·
I’ve been asking a lot of questions lately on this forum and I appreciate the feedback I have been getting. I’m shifting back into my audio hobby from another hobby. I may even sell off some of the investments in the other hobby to fund my audio needs. Lol.

What I’m looking for is for music listening and zero home theater use. Small bedroom with 10 foot ceiling. I’d like something with minimal 125wpc and preferably 150wpc. I was recommended the Outlaw Audio RR2160 in a previous post but I was wondering if there was something better in that same $850 to $1000 price range offered as separates. I definitely need a sub out. And I will eventually add a turntable table as well.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 · (Edited)
Really slim pickings for separates in that price range. I've never heard this combo but it may meet your needs. The Emotiva PT-100 preamp w/the Emotiva A-300 amp. Produces 150wpc. Combined cost around $750. You can check out the review that was written and is in the 2-Channel section. Just to throw out another item the Yamaha AS-801 Integrated is excellent. Also in your price range.:)

#3 ·
Not too sure if you were aware, but the difference between 150 watts and 125 watts is a measly 0.8dB. (100->125 is 1dB)

So I wouldn’t pick separates based on wattage.

Just find one that has the features you need and the price point your required.

Does the Outlaw not fit your requirements?

#7 ·
I have cd’s, personal music ripped from cd, I’d like to eventually add a turntable. I have been streaming some from Amazon music. I’m trying to decide if another streaming service is worth it. I’m not a fan of Sirius XM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
IMO, at a $1k budget you'd get a lot more bang for your buck from a integrated.
YMMV

#16 ·
For your ripped music here is what I use

Rpi 3 or 4 with Allo Digi Signature One about $350 BNC out to Dac

a smsl SU8 Dac about $250 xlr out to amp can use RCA outputs to drive a seperate sub if you have one

Crown XLS 1002 about $350 out to your speakers

hits your budget and the results are stunning

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.