Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2019 Pictures and Impressions - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 335Likes

post #271 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3994 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Not sure where he found that image but I think it is faked (or that guy in the pic is like 3' 6" tall.) The speakers are big but not quite that big.

I assume they are Sound Lab A1s which Stereophile says are 81.24" H tall [<7ft.]. Their Ultimate 745 is like 84" now [7'] their tallest speakers I believe. [I'm not dead sure about all of this. I don't follow them.]
Why don't you just ask me?

These are the Majestics, the 945s, not the A1s, M1s or U1s. They're for someone with really really tall ceilings. And true, the guy in the pic is a rather short F, but not that short. He's about 5'6" or 5'7". That's what made the pic so funny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soundlab 945 a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	2615766  

Last edited by Scotth3886; 09-15-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5331 Post(s)
Liked: 3841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I've had plenty of strange looking big speakers in my day such as:
So how tall were your Majestics?
post #273 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So how tall were your Majestics?
https://www.soundlab-speakers.com/majestic-px.html So 106"

I have U1s. I've also had A1s, A3s, Pristines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will say that the narrow guys I have now image better. They are narrow enough that they can 'get out of the way' of the image. The Sound Labs couldn't as I didn't have a big enough room. You must listen to these in a completely dark room or the illusion is overpowered by the visual.

What they do do as Dick Olsher talks about in this 27 yr old review is https://www.stereophile.com/content/...speaker-page-2, as you've seen me drone about for about 5,000 of my 8,000 posts. I can do part of it, but not to the extent that these do. I can do a string bass with pretty convincingly scale, but these will do an octobass to scale. True, ridiculous, but fun.

shivaji likes this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 09-15-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #275 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I've had plenty of strange looking big speakers in my day such as:

Oh my God!

Those Majestic speakers truly live up to their name.

My hats off to you Scott for even attempting to fit these massive electrostatic panels in your home.

I can only guess the expansive sound stage they project.

You are a lucky individual.
post #276 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapas View Post
Oh my God!

Those Majestic speakers truly live up to their name.

My hats off to you Scott for even attempting to fit these massive electrostatic panels in your home.

I can only guess the expansive sound stage they project.

You are a lucky individual.
These are taller than what I've had and have now in the house out there all crated up in the garage with a couple of my old Pontiacs. These weren't available when I got out of it to come back here to C-Bus to take care of two parents with Alzheimer's. Had they been, I'm quite sure I would have indulged. 25 years ago, that was my goal, to be as extreme as possible. I had the ceiling height to do it.

I just thought that pic was funny. If those would have tipped over on him, they wouldn't have found him for a few years.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 09-15-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #277 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can get more extreme if you'd like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	double922.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2615784  
post #278 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You can get more extreme if you'd like

Scott,

I am speechless.
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #279 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 04:57 PM

RMAF 2019: Klipsch and Nola

Klipsch was showing their next generation Heritage line of products in Room 7154. Mark Casavant was explaining their new state of the art Horn Technology that went behind their Klipsch Heresy (4th gen), Klipsch Cornwall (4th gen) and Klipschorn (6th gen) speakers.

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/25.jpg

I was already impressed with the new Heresy and Cornwall models.

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/26.jpg

Mark asked me to go into the next room where they were playing the Klipschorns.

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/27.jpg

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/28.jpg

Oh my God! Now this blows the Heresy and Cornwall out of the water. What impressive and effortless dynamics. This is what made the legendary Klipshorns so famous with a 70-year legacy.

Mark explained how the new Klipschorns need not be placed in the corner, as the corner baffles are now built in at the expense of a heavier product weight.

They weigh 220lbs each and will sell of $15,000 a pair.

While the sound was immediate, effortless with stunning dynamics of a live orchestra with thunderous bass slam, it did not quite match the delicate refinement of the treble I experienced with the Sanders Electrostatic 10e panels.

The Tekton MOABs had similar dynamics and deep bass rumble as the Klipschorns while still retaining the seamless coherence, delicacy, resolution and micro-dynamics as the Sanders System throughout the midrange and treble.

If I were to choose amongst these three, I would pick the Tekton.

I began to wonder how the MOABs were pulling off this feat at a much lower price point of $4,500.

The extreme dynamics and deep bass can be explained through physics. The Tekton system was using the brute force approach by having 4 12” woofers mounted in a pair of giant ported enclosures. The MOABs were using 12” Eminence Professional speakers.

What about the seamless midrange and treble that sounded like an expensive electrostatic panel?

The Tektons were using an array of 7 small tweeters clustered together to act as a midrange. Effectively you are getting a large midrange with very low mass. This was the key to revealing the overtones and harmonics.

What about the Lobbing effect from multiple tweeter drivers?

The 7 tweeters were mounted as close as physically possible to eliminate the Lobbing distortion.

The result was a giant panel in classic D’Appolito configuration – MTM flanked by two woofers at the top and bottom.

The function of the midrange was being handled by 7 tweeters in close proximity.

This is how the Tektons were getting the smoothness, detail and resolution of an electrostatic.

When you listen to an electrostatic panel, what immediately mesmerizes you is that there is no separation between the midrange and treble. There are no separate drivers. The sound from the entire panel is seamless. You get a uniform solid wall of sound.

The Tektons were mimicking this through their clever midrange array.

Male vocals typically go down to G2 (98Hz) while female vocals go up to G5 (784Hz). This is the critical vocal range from G2 to G5 that can make or break a speaker.

If one can get this region just right, it can fool your brain into thinking you are listening to a live person speaking/singing in front of you. The Tektons have nailed this.

Eric mentioned that his display model was using tweeters in the $10 to $50 range. Nothing fancy here. This reminded me of the late John Dunlavy. I use to visit his demo rooms at CES and marvel at his massive monoliths. The Dunlavy SC-IV was a classic. They offered tremendous value at $4,500. Later he designed the SC-IVA, SC-V and SC-VI models.

Once I had the pleasure of hearing a pair of Dunlavy SC-Vs driven by Krell monoblocks at CES in the Krell room demoed by Dan D’Agostino himself. It was an unforgettable experience. Mr. Dunlavy never cared to use expensive drivers, however, his creations measured ruler flat +/- 1dB on axis and sounded far better than anything at that price point. They were the ultimate headphones.

I think Eric by trial and error has hit the mark with his MOAB design. It is the perfect speaker from my standpoint and I would not change a thing.

From this point onwards I visited each demo room trying to find which speaker can beat the performance of the MOABs. I kept going back to Room 11116 several times a day to refresh my audio memory.

Nola was introducing their Concert Grand Reference Gold 2 speakers at RMAF in room 4125. This event was widely publicized well in advance.

It was a sight to behold.

Talk about expensive drivers. You name it, it had it. The fit and finish was at par with Wilson Audio. They were not cutting any corners.

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/29.jpg

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/30.jpg

These ultra-high-end speakers are priced at $250K. If you ever want to experience a live concert via a pair of transducers this will do it. Expectations were running high.

However, I was disappointed at their room selection. It was way too small as you can see from the pictures. This event should have been hosted in one of the exhibitor ballrooms on Convention Center Level 3.

When you are making the effort to drag in these 275lb speakers and show them to the world for the very first time, one should book and prep a room of adequate size with utmost attention to detail.

Do you see any room treatment? None.

Yes, they were playing music through these beautiful speakers all day long, but the tiny space did not allow them to breathe. This was unfortunate. The balance was off. The trumpets sounded shrill.

They should have just used them as static displays like Daryl did with his Master Chronosonic. You need an appropriate, properly treated showroom to display your $250,000 product.

I hope they come back next year and get things right.

It was 5pm. I went up to the Tekton/Parasound room and spent the rest of the day listening to excerpts from a wide variety of music till closing time 6pm on Friday.

Eric and Richard and rest of the staff from DonWalkerAudio.com were gracious hosts. They could feel how excited I was about their system, and gladly answered all my questions.

I went back to my hotel room and began learning all about this brand till the wee hours of the night.

More to follow with Day 2 highlights...

Best regards,

David

Last edited by Tapas; 09-22-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #280 of 432 Old 09-15-2019, 10:53 PM

RMAF 2019: Paradigm/Anthem

Day-2: Saturday

This was the busiest day. Everything I saw was priced into the stratosphere.

Let’s begin with the Paradigm/Anthem system in room 10131.

The moment you walked in you knew you were in for a treat. I was stunned by the sheer beauty of these silver speakers and matching silver amps. Even the subwoofers looked like a piece of artwork.

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/31.jpg

So what were they?

The main towers were a pair of Paradigm Persona 7F speakers priced at $12,500 each.

These were 4-driver 3-way designs sporting a Beryllium tweeter and a Beryllium midrange at the top followed by two 8.5in woofers in the bottom.

These impossibly beautiful works of industrial design had an equally glorious sound to match.

The amplification was by Anthem. They had a matching silver color with a clean industrial look.

On the top shelve was the Anthem STR 400 Watts/Channel stereo Power Amp ($6,000) with the giant power meters.

At the very bottom was the Anthem STR preamp ($4,000). This unit also housed the ARC Genesis room correction system and bass management for the two subs. Everything was digitally equalized.

In the middle was the Wolf Alpha 35X music server also in matching silver. Did these companies decide to collaborate on design aesthetics?

Flanking this amplification column were two Persona SUBs. I have never imagined a subwoofer could look so beautiful. I have their old Paradigm Servo 15 sub which comes covered with a plain black grille and meant to be tucked in a corner out of sight.

These were meant to be seen. Each one had six 8” woofers double stacked
inside a silver and black hexagonal box. They are powered by 1700 W Class-D amps and can play deep down to 12Hz. Price is $6,500 each.

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/32.jpg

This brings the price of the speaker system alone to $38,000.

The amplification is another $10,000 bringing the system price up to $48,000.

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/33.jpg

http://www.davidapps.net/avsforum/rmaf/34.jpg

Well, if you want the performance and the stunning looks to go with it, then this is your baby for $48K.

I admit it was a sight to behold. When you assemble a system like this, there is nothing left to complain. You just sat there gobsmacked.

Only problem – I cannot afford it.

More to follow from Day-2

David
openbaffled likes this.
post #281 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Football player, basketball player, collectively known as 'ballers. Fairly common term.

I never said there wasn't reasonably successful people on forums, only that they're a small portion of those who frequent them. If someone has 100 large to drop on AV equipment he/she is very likely going to an integrator and letting them handle the dirty work, not spending their own time searching through forum posts. Not even sure how the car analogy fits in though as we're talking AV here. Those are two completely different worlds.
Again, you are making assumptions. High end audio and high end cars are a hobby for a lot of people. Those people do research on forums, interact with other users to get feedback and make informed decisions.
Scotth3886 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #282 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked: 3351
The current Soundlab Majestics 945PX are 106" tall (8' 10") to (barely) fit a 9' ceiling (if you are gutsy). And about 40" wide.

Gotta' love their description of the Majestic line: "The decor of some rooms is such that it is desired that the presence of the speakers be subdued. This series was designed to fulfill this need. The aesthetic of this series provides a simple appearance, using elegant wood trim only on the sides of the panels so as not to be obtrusive to the decor of the room." Simple, maybe, but I would not call them unobtrusive.

IIRC stacked Acoustats were 94" tall, also getting up there, and Magnepan 20's about 80" tall (four inches under 7').

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #283 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
"The decor of some rooms is such that it is desired that the presence of the speakers be subdued. This series was designed to fulfill this need. The aesthetic of this series provides a simple appearance, using elegant wood trim only on the sides of the panels so as not to be obtrusive to the decor of the room."
I can hear it now: "But Honey, the wood trim nicely matches our room decor so I don't see what your objection is?"

I once knew a guy who claimed he had heard Klipsch K-horns stacked, one inverted on top of the other so they were tweeter to tweeter, X4 (one double stack in each corner of the room, eight speakers in total. ) Ouch.
post #284 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
The current Soundlab Majestics 945PX are 106" tall (8' 10") to (barely) fit a 9' ceiling (if you are gutsy). And about 40" wide.

Gotta' love their description of the Majestic line: "The decor of some rooms is such that it is desired that the presence of the speakers be subdued. This series was designed to fulfill this need. The aesthetic of this series provides a simple appearance, using elegant wood trim only on the sides of the panels so as not to be obtrusive to the decor of the room." Simple, maybe, but I would not call them unobtrusive.

IIRC stacked Acoustats were 94" tall, also getting up there, and Magnepan 20's about 80" tall (four inches under 7').
Had they been available in the 90s I could have in this room and probably would have.

post #285 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I get $15,075 if you upgrade to bi-amp/bi-wire option ($75), ($1000) gloss finish and ($9500) beryllium.

Do we know if any of these were at the show or was it the baseline $4500 speaker only setup?
$9500.00 to upgrade to beryllium? What drivers are updated? The many tweeters? I figured out if Paradigm would sell me the Be tweeters to fit my Studio 100’s the cost would be about $2k.

Something feels shady to me about this company. I have not heard their products so it’s unfair but my spidey sense is going off big time.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #286 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
These did sound very good. Sounded much bigger than they are.

I thought these were “active” speakers and must be at a much higher price point.

They punch way beyond $500.

Chris
Those look intriguing. Definitely look like a direct mimick of recent Monitor Audio and Dali designs, though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #287 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Again, you are making assumptions. High end audio and high end cars are a hobby for a lot of people. Those people do research on forums, interact with other users to get feedback and make informed decisions.
Again, no assumptions being made. I'm active in the HT and automotive worlds so I know both very well. On HT forums you'll see posts constantly about having X budget and looking for a receiver, speakers and a subwoofer. By contrast, how many people post on automotive forums saying they have X budget and want a car with independent suspension, a V8 and at least 40 years old? The honest answer would be almost zero. Vehicles are a completely different animal, no correlation can be drawn between the two hobbies other than those with large amounts of disposable income to invest will almost always have a professional help them make their decision. Rarely will someone with a wheelbarrow full of cash go it alone. There are always a few with the knowledge and experience but they are definitely the exception to the rule when it comes to 6 figure (or more) purchases.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #288 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3589 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
I did 2 custom car installs over 10 grand, reason for dealer was install cost. my home setup was dealer also, they came to my house and plugged stuff in and then turned down my request for room treatments. even asked about atmos/ceiling/drop down projector....guy I dealt with said I should hold off. he stayed and listened for 2 hrs....must of been disgruntled. or saw I was disabled vet/handicapped and said good enough...IDK.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by torii; 09-16-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #289 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
$9500.00 to upgrade to beryllium? What drivers are updated? The many tweeters? I figured out if Paradigm would sell me the Be tweeters to fit my Studio 100’s the cost would be about $2k.

Something feels shady to me about this company. I have not heard their products so it’s unfair but my spidey sense is going off big time.

There are 30 tweeters in the set. This means the price of each tweeter could not exceed $9,500 / 30 = $316.
I do not know the exact make and model of Be Tweeters Eric is planning to use.

If I were to make an educated guess, I would think Eric would be looking at these Satori TW29B-B Beryllium Dome Tweeters that Madison Sound sells for $291 each.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...errite-magnet/

The Paradigm room was using Beryllium tweeters and midranges. The sound was exceptionally liquid and smooth. Of course they were using room correction which can make a fine speaker sound extraordinary.

The Paradigm/Anthem room was a text book example of how to use digital equalization to bring out the best in a hotel room demo. You didn't need to look at the charts and graphs. It was obvious the moment you stepped in. They sounded picture perfect.

Let me email Eric and ask him to chime in. He is the designer and would be the able to answer all these technical questions.

Mr. Alexander is the real deal.

Best regards,

David

Last edited by Tapas; 09-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #290 of 432 Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
AV showrooms best of show video.

Rgb likes this.

Last edited by shivaji; 09-17-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #291 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
AV show reports best of show video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1almdXlkk3g&t=1029s
A lady audiophile!?

...time to break the bad news to my wife (if she's available)

(though usually a bad idea to get with someone TOO much like yourself)
shivaji and Scotth3886 like this.
post #292 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapas View Post
Scott,

I am speechless.
Ditto!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #293 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb View Post
a lady audiophile!?

(though usually a bad idea to get with someone too much like yourself) :d
lmao!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #294 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
A lady audiophile!?

(though usually a bad idea to get with someone TOO much like yourself)
She's actually quite into it and knows her chit. However, she's the only example that I know of.
shivaji likes this.
post #295 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
However, she's the only example that I know of.
They hear just as well as us, if not better, but they are better liars:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...e=image%2Fjpeg
post #296 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
She's actually quite into it and knows her chit. However, she's the only example that I know of.
Like I said, first dibs my HT homies.

post #297 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They hear just as well as us, if not better, but they are better liars:
Been to the divorce trough twice mostly due to my hobbies.
post #298 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Like I said, first dibs my HT homies.

What, exactly, is a homie?
post #299 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What, exactly, is a homie?
Dictionary.com

Quote:
hom·ie
/ˈhōmē/

noun
INFORMAL
US
an acquaintance from one's town or neighborhood, or a member of one's peer group or gang.
ie buds, pals with similar interests.

Popular urban slang in the 80's-90's. Dating myself

Last edited by Rgb; 09-18-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #300 of 432 Old 09-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Been to the divorce trough twice mostly due to my hobbies.
My wife actually likes the dedicated basement theater- JVC RS420, Denon 4400, PSB T2's, Canton surrounds/Atmos, pair of Rythmik 12SE's, 3 rows stadium seating.

But in recent years getting PO'd at my physical media hoarding- CD's, DVD/BD's. Just need to store/hide them better.

Also tolerated my recent purcahse of Sennheiser HD800's mated with a Violectric headphone amp...just need to keep things organized/tidy.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-18-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
rmaf 2019 , rocky mountain audio fest 2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page