Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #1 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Vinyl Snobs

Why is that if you don't listen to vinyl you're wasting your money upgrading your system if you're only listening to streaming media?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5334 Post(s)
Liked: 3461
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper820 View Post
Why is that if you don't listen to vinyl you're wasting your money upgrading your system if you're only listening to streaming media?
Vinyl doesn't sound good to me. I feel it has rolled off treble and lacks bass. Then there's the constant knowledge that every time you play your LP, it will sound slightly worse the next time. This alone would drive me crazy. There's a reason that this isn't the current tech.
Rgb, g4s, Cla55clown and 2 others like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 4928
Thumbs up

The fact is there are many ways to enjoy music. If you don't like records and TT's listen and enjoy another format. I have streaming, CD's, SACD's, Blu-Ray Surround Music and a TT w/a tube preamp. As they said in the old days "what ever floats your boat". Maybe we should change the title from Vinyl Snobs to Digital Snobs.
pjp, shivaji, 3db and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

I've never heard digital music listeners telling others you're wasting money upgrading your system when they are asking for system upgrade suggestions....that it what Vinyl Snobs do 😁
dfa973 likes this.
post #5 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Vinyl is retro.
Vinyl is a physical medium.
Vinyl is collectible.
These attributes make it special, and special generates snobbery.
post #6 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
I've never heard digital music listeners telling others you're wasting money upgrading your system when they are asking for system upgrade suggestions....that it what Vinyl Snobs do 😁
Look around there are MANY people on this forum giving LP guys a hard time for embracing the archaic format.

I like records in the same way I like old cars. They are hands on and fun to play with. Most of my listening is digital however.

live and let live, or something to that effect
drh3b likes this.
post #7 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 4928
Thumbs up

Quote:
Not true. I've read plenty of arguments that a $100 DAC is just as good as a 2K DAC. This is audio. Opinions are like noses everyone has one.
post #8 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Liked: 2240
Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand the point (other than to start bickering).
Listen to the format(s) of your choice.
Purchase and/or upgrade you equipment as you desire.
Not a problem for anyone as long as you're enjoying the music/hobby.
pjp, hogues, natchie and 2 others like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein

Last edited by Ratman; 10-01-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #9 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 10:07 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Novel concept, but you're allowed to listen to both Vinyl and digital. You don't have to pick a side. Both formats have their positives and negatives, too.
post #10 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I think where everything goes pear-shaped is when people make the leap from "I prefer the sound of [preferred format]" to "if you don't build your whole system and listening experience around [preferred format] you're not a real hi fi listener and [not preferred format] is garbage."
drh3b and brireeves629 like this.
post #11 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 12:18 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
I think where everything goes pear-shaped is when people make the leap from "I prefer the sound of [preferred format]" to "if you don't build your whole system and listening experience around [preferred format] you're not a real hi fi listener and [not preferred format] is garbage."

The key to having a system that does both digital and vinyl well is separates. Some of the "all in one" solutions on the market right now are pretty crappy and do introduce compromises (one way or the other, or both).

And truth be told, you're not going to get a vinyl experience that's representative of the medium on a $199 turntable with a $499 AVR that has a phono stage. It's like listening to Pandora and declaring that digital is bad.
post #12 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
And truth be told, you're not going to get a vinyl experience that's representative of the medium on a $199 turntable with a $499 AVR that has a phono stage. It's like listening to Pandora and declaring that digital is bad.
Sure you can. Most receivers have a "direct stereo" feature that turns off all the other video & audio processing allowing the phono stage to have sole use of the amplifying circuits with no electronic interference or crosstalk. You don't need a separate phono preamp and amplifier(s) to enjoy vinyl music, and the average person would be hard pressed to tell the difference. And any modern turntable is going to have a solid platter, decent tonearm, silent motor, and vibration/isolating, dampening feet/chassis.

Now, cartridges are a different story, of course. There, money = quality and the sonic differences are noticeable.
Muphasta likes this.
post #13 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7178 Post(s)
Liked: 16307

bb80301, CDLehner, mdavej and 15 others like this.

post #14 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 12:50 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Sure you can. Most receivers have a "direct stereo" feature that turns off all the other video & audio processing allowing the phono stage to have sole use of the amplifying circuits with no electronic interference or crosstalk. You don't need a separate phono preamp and amplifier(s) to enjoy vinyl music, and the average person would be hard pressed to tell the difference. And any modern turntable is going to have a solid platter, decent tonearm, silent motor, and vibration/isolating, dampening feet/chassis.

Now, cartridges are a different story, of course. There, money = quality and the sonic differences are noticeable.

The difference in phono stages are much different than you are trying to lead us to believe. I don't want to get into specifics, but such features as "direct stereo" don't make up for inferior engineering and/or cheap components on an integrated amp/receiver.

Vinyl will sound "ok" on a $200 TT and $499 AVR, such as digital will sound "ok" via lossy streaming. One could enjoy both but they are far from representative of their respective medium.
post #15 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Before this thread spirals into the crapper, perhaps the OP can provide links to threads on AVS where that was stated?
I'm curious. I've not seen any that specifically made that claim.
khcoach, MSchott and BluesDaddy56 like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #16 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 01:59 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Vinyl is retro.
Vinyl is a physical medium.
Vinyl is collectible.
These attributes make it special, and special generates snobbery.

I disagree. It makes collecting vinyl for those of us who like vinyl fun. I also stream, play CDs, cassettes so I know I'm not a snob
hogues, Class A, Muphasta and 1 others like this.

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
post #17 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The most vitriolic opinions I've seen on the topic were from either audiophile press or hifi dealers, both of whom have an inherent interest in the mystique and expense of hifi vinyl.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #18 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 02:09 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
The difference in phono stages are much different than you are trying to lead us to believe. I don't want to get into specifics, but such features as "direct stereo" don't make up for inferior engineering and/or cheap components on an integrated amp/receiver.

Vinyl will sound "ok" on a $200 TT and $499 AVR, such as digital will sound "ok" via lossy streaming. One could enjoy both but they are far from representative of their respective medium.

To start with, new AVRs retailing for $500 will not have a phono stage. Secondly tolerances of components used to build said phono stages in AVRs have much tighter tolerances and quality in their manufacturing then components produced/used in the 70 and 80s. The one thing phono stages lack in AVRs are adjustable impedances for some of the more out of bell curve cartridges. I see myths still run rampant here.
CruelInventions likes this.

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5

Last edited by 3db; 10-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #19 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I have not listened to vinyl in over 35 years. I now have a heck of a nice 7.1 system and I listen to mainly surround discs. A friend of mine gave me a stack of surround discs made by someone who really knows how to create surround discs from stereo. Included was basically the entire Beatles catalog. All the disc sound great especially Abbey Road. However the Revolver disc was cut from a record and the beginning of Love You To the noise of the vinyl surface nearly drives me to kill myself. I don't miss vinyl for one second.
g4s, Lonewolf7002 and dfa973 like this.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #20 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
I have not listened to vinyl in over 35 years.
Your choice. It doesn't make you a bad person.

Quote:
I now have a heck of a nice 7.1 system and I listen to mainly surround discs.
Personal preference.

Quote:
A friend of mine gave me a stack of surround discs made by someone who really knows how to create surround discs from stereo.
Who was that?

Quote:
Included was basically the entire Beatles catalog. All the disc sound great especially Abbey Road. However the Revolver disc was cut from a record and the beginning of Love You To the noise of the vinyl surface nearly drives me to kill myself. I don't miss vinyl for one second.
Do you have catalog numbers of those "surround discs"? Or... are they bootlegs?

post #21 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Before this thread spirals into the crapper, perhaps the OP can provide links to threads on AVS where that was stated?
Funny you should ask because there is a thread in this very 2.0 topic of which you were the first to reply and tell someone upgrading their system used to listen to digital is useless. And in fact 2 of the first 3 response told this person don't upgrade. I'm not trying to pick on you but you asked the question and it just so happens that is a recent thread that I read where I noticed it. As a newbie around here the "Vinyl Snob" mentality is something I picked up on immediately when I started browsing around. For guys that have been around a long time you're probably numb to it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...r-upgrade.html

Last edited by happycamper820; 10-01-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #22 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Funny you should ask because there is a thread in this very 2.0 topic of which you were the first to reply and tell someone upgrading their system used to listen to digital is useless. And in fact 2 of the first 3 response told this person don't upgrade. I'm not trying to pick on you but you asked the question and it just so happens that is a recent thread that I read where I noticed it. As a newbie around here the "Vinyl Snob" mentality is something I picked up on immediately when I started browsing around. For guys that have been around a long time you're probably numb to it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...r-upgrade.html
And look at my last post. It has nothing related to Vinyl vs. digital (streaming).
I'm not "numb" to anything.

As a newbie... stop misinterpreting previous threads/posts and focus in your own questions/needs/desires without criticism of other. (And perhaps out of context)

post #23 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And look at my last post. It has nothing related to Vinyl vs. digital (streaming).
I'm not "numb" to anything.

As a newbie... stop misinterpreting previous threads/posts and focus in your own questions/needs/desires without criticism of other. (And perhaps out of context)
Not looking to conversing with anyone only interested in increasing their post count. Bye
post #24 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Vinyl doesn't sound good to me. I feel it has rolled off treble and lacks bass. Then there's the constant knowledge that every time you play your LP, it will sound slightly worse the next time. This alone would drive me crazy. There's a reason that this isn't the current tech.
I enjoy LPs and digital. Your experience with vinyl differs dramatically from mine. From clean, detailed, and tight bass that shakes my music room and hits me in the chest, to gorgeous treble with extended highs that provide all the shimmer and air available from the best CDs.

As for wear, having always used excellent turntables and phono cartridges, my LPs still sound as good as new, going back to original Beatles LPs, many other bands, and classical recordings purchased since the early 1960s. Every one of those old records have been played countless times, particularly the Fab Four and The Who. In fact, I bought duplicates of several favorites as insurance against wear, but have yet to open any of them.

Plus, using record-cleaning accessories since those early days (such as Cecil E Watts products) and a VPI record-cleaning machine since the early 1980s, my records, with rare exceptions, are noise-free.

Yes, LPs require more "work" than does digital, but they can and do sound beautiful.
Rgb, archiguy, liltalkm and 5 others like this.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #25 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Not looking to conversing with anyone only interested in increasing their post count. Bye
Bye...

BTW, after ~17 years.... post count is not my primary goal.

Last edited by Ratman; 10-01-2019 at 03:34 PM.
post #26 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

The answer is in your title... Each to their own. I can’t imagine anything in vinyl having the quality of Tidal Masters, but I believe for lovers of vinyl, it isn’t about SQ, but rather nostalgia and collecting. At least that’s what I see from friends who own vinyl.
g4s, Lonewolf7002 and dfa973 like this.
post #27 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked: 2699
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper820
If you're a self-proclaimed "audiophile" you're likely wasting your money no matter what you're listening to. But it's entirely your right to do so.
post #28 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:

This thread was destined for the crapper Bro!

Digital Streaming Snob here...
post #29 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Funny! Those who spend the money for a true Hi-Fi vinyl system are entitled to a little snobbery IMO...
dfa973 likes this.
post #30 of 276 Old 10-01-2019, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

My dad was a big stereophiliac in his younger days. He probably had over 500 LPs from mostly the 60s and 70s. In fact when I looked in his cabinet most of the LPs are still there. I think he sold off some when CDs began replacing LPs but he was never able to migrate to digital as his health and age prevented it. He said I could throw out his old equipment so I recently tossed a turntable, some cassette decks, some AV receivers, and over a dozen speakers all over 20 years old. I just found a brand new Yamaha preamp in his storage closet. It was unopened but probably over 20 years old too...local stereo shop says they don't want it so I'll probably end up throwing it away as well, was hoping I could get a few bucks for some of the better stuff. Some of the LPs might be worth something but I'm not really interested in sorting through it and looking for a buyer.
jviz4u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page