1Likes
  • 1 Post By qirex

post #1 of 5 Old 10-27-2019, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Denon DRA-800H

Here are the specs from the Denon USA website for the Denon DRA-800H. It has a Zone 2 pre out. Could I use that to add mono block amps to it if I ever felt the need to push something at 4 ohms ?

Edit: to be clear the stats are for the left hand vertical column listed for 2 channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by activestatic; 10-27-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-28-2019, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 144
The 800H can’t operate those as normal pre-outs, at least according to the manual it’s only for zone 2. The Marantz NR1200 is the only one of these cheap 2 channel HDMI receivers with proper stereo pre outs as far as I know.
activestatic likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-29-2019, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
The 800H can’t operate those as normal pre-outs, at least according to the manual it’s only for zone 2. The Marantz NR1200 is the only one of these cheap 2 channel HDMI receivers with proper stereo pre outs as far as I know.

Thanks. I also got confirmation of your answer to my question from Crutchfield tech support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will this decode DSD from an SACD over HDMI?

Hello, will this unit properly handle DSD input, coming from an SACD, over HDMI? I will be using a Sony UBP-X800M2 player. I think that the Denon DRA-800H can play DSD files on a USB stick but I haven't found anything that explicitly says that it decodes DSD over HDMI. My question is about 2-channel.

I just got the Sony and, silly me, I had not realized that it does not have analog audio outputs. So for this and other reasons I am looking to upgrade my receiver. I want to be able to play SACD and get hi-res quality (if I use the digital out, then I think it's converted to around 48kHz PCM, and doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?). So will the Denon be a good choice for me? Any other recommendations? (I have limited space in my cabinet, especially depth-wise, and I think that the Denon will fit, so that is one reason I am inclining toward it.) I will be using it to drive a pair of Ascend Sierra-2EX speakers.

Thanks,

Mark
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2019, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeB View Post
Hello, will this unit properly handle DSD input, coming from an SACD, over HDMI? I will be using a Sony UBP-X800M2 player. I think that the Denon DRA-800H can play DSD files on a USB stick but I haven't found anything that explicitly says that it decodes DSD over HDMI. My question is about 2-channel.

I just got the Sony and, silly me, I had not realized that it does not have analog audio outputs. So for this and other reasons I am looking to upgrade my receiver. I want to be able to play SACD and get hi-res quality (if I use the digital out, then I think it's converted to around 48kHz PCM, and doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?). So will the Denon be a good choice for me? Any other recommendations? (I have limited space in my cabinet, especially depth-wise, and I think that the Denon will fit, so that is one reason I am inclining toward it.) I will be using it to drive a pair of Ascend Sierra-2EX speakers.

Thanks,

Mark
According to the spec, no it does not decode DSD from HDMI. In the spec page it has an X in the column under HDMI DSD audio capability. Other receivers that can decode are Their lowest receiver with a check in the column is the S950H (an AVR). The 800H is probably converting to 88 kHz/24bit first.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page