Turntable Newbie - High Distortion Issue - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 11-18-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAART View Post
As I said highly unlikely that TT is faulty. Do you have another amp or preamp, even headphone amp?

I am still thinking that Denon is amplifying the signal as I said before...

Try connecting TT to input 4 GAME directly without any pre-amp in between. The signal should be low but you still be able to hear it. If this is how I described then connect TT to Denon transmitter, directly, nothing in between and connect the Denon receiver to the same input. If Denon works properly then you should hear the sound on the same level as when TT was connected directly. If you hear any difference in volume then it is DENON. If you hear the same then this should eliminate the Denon TX/RX combo as faulty.

When you check and follow those steps exactly as described we will know more and take it from there.

All the best.
I hooked up the TT directly (without a phono stage) to the Denon transmitter and into the CD input, sound was still distorted and clipping. I then tried hooking it up to the phono input instead, signal sounds much better and "clean", other than a hum, I'm thinking I just need to add a ground loop isolator to fix that, although I have the ground cable of the TT connected to the ground of the Mies phono, as the transmitter doesn't have a ground terminal... However what is happening now is the sound is cutting out intermittently, which means it is clipping still. I also tried playing with the gain settings on the Marantz and it didn't help.

So at least half the problem is solved, now just to fix the sound cutting up issue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhd View Post
I hooked up the TT directly (without a phono stage) to the Denon transmitter and into the CD input, sound was still distorted and clipping. I then tried hooking it up to the phono input instead, signal sounds much better and "clean", other than a hum, I'm thinking I just need to add a ground loop isolator to fix that, although I have the ground cable of the TT connected to the ground of the Mies phono, as the transmitter doesn't have a ground terminal... However what is happening now is the sound is cutting out intermittently, which means it is clipping still. I also tried playing with the gain settings on the Marantz and it didn't help.

So at least half the problem is solved, now just to fix the sound cutting up issue...
Adjust the gain settings on Denon. Ground loop has to be connected to Denon not Mies.

Rotel RC-1070; Rotel RB-1050; Rotel RB-1562; Yamaha WXA-50;
NAD Wireless USB DAC 2; Chromecast Audio (4x); Antique Sound Lab MG OTL 32 DT Headphone/Pre amplifier; Sony MDR7506 Pro; Grado SR80e; Beyerdynamics DT931;
Wharfedale Diamond D220; Wharfedale Diamond D10 Sub; PSB G Design GB-1; Totem Mite; Tannoy Sub; Canton Sub; Canton Plus S; Canton Movie 70; Kenwood KD-2055; Pro-ject Debut III USB
post #33 of 38 Old 11-18-2019, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I know I need to connect ground to the transmitter, but it doesn’t have a ground terminal post... I did play with the gain of the transmitter and still the sound cuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 11-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know I need to connect ground to the transmitter, but it doesn’t have a ground terminal post... I did play with the gain of the transmitter and still the sound cuts
Ground can be connected to same outlet where transmitter is connected...

NAD Wireless USB DAC 2; Chromecast Audio (4x); Antique Sound Lab MG OTL 32 DT Headphone/Pre amplifier; Sony MDR7506 Pro; Grado SR80e; Beyerdynamics DT931;
Wharfedale Diamond D220; Wharfedale Diamond D10 Sub; PSB G Design GB-1; Totem Mite; Tannoy Sub; Canton Sub; Canton Plus S; Canton Movie 70; Kenwood KD-2055; Pro-ject Debut III USB
post #35 of 38 Old 11-18-2019, 09:33 PM

I looked up again the spec for the Denon TX/RX and not sure about some stuff listed there. See bold...

Denon TX:
Audio Specification
Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 KHz, +3 dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 80 dB
THD: < 0.1%
Input Level: +5 dBu
Dynamic Range: > 90 dB at 1 KHz
Crosstalk: > 90 dB at 1 KHz
Latency:20 ms

Wireless Specifications
Channel: 25
Modulation: GFSK
Bandwidth: > 1.8 MHz
Transmission Frequency: 2.404 – 2.476 GHz
Transmission Range: Up to 100 ft. (30.5 m)
Transmission Power: 10 dBm

Denon RX:
Audio Specification
Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 KHz, +3 dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 80 dB
THD: < 0.1%
Output Level: +18 dBu
Dynamic Range: > 90 dB at 1 KHz
Crosstalk: > 90 dB at 1 KHz
Latency: 20 ms

Wireless Specifications
Channel: 25
Modulation: GFSK
Bandwidth: > 1.8 MHz
Receiver Frequency: 2.404 – 2.476 GHz
Receiver Range: Up to 100 ft. (30.5 m)
Receiver Sensitivity: 10 dBm

post #36 of 38 Old 11-19-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

I think TX/RX are boosting the signal to make sure it doesn't degrade during the transmission... I'm setting the gain on the Denon receiver to the lowest setting... Maybe I should lower the gains to the minimum as well on the preamp
post #37 of 38 Old 11-19-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I think TX/RX are boosting the signal to make sure it doesn't degrade during the transmission... I'm setting the gain on the Denon receiver to the lowest setting... Maybe I should lower the gains to the minimum as well on the preamp
Maybe... you can let us know how this goes.

post #38 of 38 Old 11-20-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Still same thing... I've given up on using the Denon TX/RX and resorted to use a Bluetooth transmitter instead
Less headaches but the sound cutting up is much much less.

Anyways I will be setting up a proper 2 channel setup and will add a CD player, once I go back home for Christmas and find my old CD collection. So I will be looking to get a preamp and a CD player for Christmas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page