Classe Amp/B & W 702 S2/Rotel Sounds Horrible - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #91 of 115 Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Off the topic, I actually designed and got a US patent on a noise cancelling design for guitar with single coils like Strat. My design doesn't change the sound of the guitar at all. This is a demo

I can hardly play now!!!

This is one of the amp I designed and built with channel switching and power scaling. I designed it so even on high gain channel, I can back off the volume on the guitar and clean up the sound nicely. You cannot do it on a lot of amps, eg. Mesa. You back off the volume on the high gain channel, it sounded muffled. I want to get a nice clean sound if I back off the volume on the guitar as shown in the video.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; 11-21-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 11-21-2019, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
Off the topic, I actually designed and got a US patent on a noise cancelling design for guitar with single coils like Strat. My design doesn't change the sound of the guitar at all. This is a demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuO7AqpIvak

I can hardly play now!!!

This is one of the amp I designed and built with channel switching and power scaling. I designed it so even on high gain channel, I can back off the volume on the guitar and clean up the sound nicely. You cannot do it on a lot of amps, eg. Mesa. You back off the volume on the high gain channel, it sounded muffled. I want to get a nice clean sound if I back off the volume on the guitar as shown in the video.
Good for you Alan, this is very impressive. Keep up the good work! Perhaps one day we can meet and play with my friends, I have some friends who are really good singers too. I have a big passion for music.

Jolida Fusion 801 70 watt tube Integrated amp, Nakamichi PA-7 Stasis 200 watt amp, Nakamichi CA-5 preamp, California Audio Labs Alpha DAC & Delta CD Transport, 20 TB PC computer for 24/96 files, Rega Planar 3 Turntable, Sennheiser HD650 headphones, Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp, Audioquest speaker cables & interconnects, Cardas interconnects and speakers cable and speakers Kimber 4VS cable.
post #93 of 115 Old 11-21-2019, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isai95 View Post
Good for you Alan, this is very impressive. Keep up the good work! Perhaps one day we can meet and play with my friends, I have some friends who are really good singers too. I have a big passion for music.

If you live in the bay area, you can try my guitar amps!! I am not doing anything with them. I did not even try hard to sell my patent. It's one thing to create something, it's a different story to market it, that's where it's hard. I am too old to deal with this, there's not enough money to waste my time. I plaque of the patent on the wall is satisfying enough for me already. Like the hifi power amps I designed, I have no interest in marketing it. I might research to see whether I can get a patent on some of the ideas, but it's going to be just another plaque on the wall.

You can also listen to my PA-7 to see whether there is anything wrong ( I don't think so). Also how it compares with my amps.
yodog likes this.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 115 Old 11-22-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Actually from that, I discovered my true passion of my life, electronics. I quit music in 79 and went on had a full career in electronic engineer until I retired. Then I went in full circle and designed/built 2 guitar amps. This time in the right way using MOSFET to do the power scaling. Both have channel switching. BUT, I really are not interested in playing anymore, it's a waste to design guitar amps. One also sit in the shed. So I switch to design hifi power amps. Hey, it's better than doing crossword puzzles!!! This keeps my mind active.

Alan, it's funny how one can spend their whole life trying to find something that lights up their soul. You put a smile on my face when I read this post because I believe life's true riches has very little to do with money. Also, you are very modest...I could kick back and listen to you play, anytime!

Thanks to all here for the amazing help and I will do the tests/trials and post my findings. This has turned into a major (for me) revamping of my room but I'm getting it on.

Last edited by Timestoo; 11-22-2019 at 07:26 AM.
post #95 of 115 Old 11-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
If you live in the bay area, you can try my guitar amps!! I am not doing anything with them.
Thanks for the invitation, God bless your heart! Sadly, I live far away from you, I'm in Orange County.

Quote:
I did not even try hard to sell my patent. It's one thing to create something, it's a different story to market it, that's where it's hard. I am too old to deal with this, there's not enough money to waste my time. I plaque of the patent on the wall is satisfying enough for me already. Like the hifi power amps I designed, I have no interest in marketing it. I might research to see whether I can get a patent on some of the ideas, but it's going to be just another plaque on the wall.
Well, yes, it is very hard to be successful in business, there are no many Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs, Thomas Edison, Warren Buffett, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles and many others who have been successful in different areas in society.

I was never successful in music, never had a good chance, the music business I guess is the hardest of all to be very successful. You have to have great talent, big money, a big promoter, be in the right place and time and more importantly, you have to know someone big in the music industry, otherwise nothing matters. So I decided to do music just for fun nothing else.

Quote:
You can also listen to my PA-7 to see whether there is anything wrong ( I don't think so). Also how it compares with my amps.
Thank you. I'd really like to listen to it, I can almost predict that something has to be wrong with it. What areas of the sound do you hear that have bad performance and how your amps are better in comparison with the PA-7?

My unit blows away anything that I have auditioned so far, perhaps just the Bryston 28B 1000 watt mono have been better but everything else has not sounded better than my PA-7. Perhaps has to do with my room conditions or my other associated units, I don't know. But the Bryston 28B3 is $24K a pair. I cannot even compare with the PA-7 $900 price that I paid on the used market.

Jolida Fusion 801 70 watt tube Integrated amp, Nakamichi PA-7 Stasis 200 watt amp, Nakamichi CA-5 preamp, California Audio Labs Alpha DAC & Delta CD Transport, 20 TB PC computer for 24/96 files, Rega Planar 3 Turntable, Sennheiser HD650 headphones, Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp, Audioquest speaker cables & interconnects, Cardas interconnects and speakers cable and speakers Kimber 4VS cable.
post #96 of 115 Old 11-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all here for the amazing help and I will do the tests/trials and post my findings. This has turned into a major (for me) revamping of my room but I'm getting it on.
Timestoo, good thing that you are treating your room. This is one of the main things that one needs to do if one wants to have a real feel as to how the units really sound their best.

I learned this long time ago by noticing that when I took the same gear to my home; the sound was really really bad, like they were totally different units as the ones I just auditioned on the store.

All you need to do is hang acoustic sound panels on specific places on your walls and ceiling and that will take care of the reflections problem.

There are lots of specific instructions in youtube to do this. You can even make your own panels, I did mine.

Also, another very important fact is to play great recordings, if you feed trash signal into the best amp of the world, this amp will amplify trash, there is no other way. Even CDs would sound very good if just they were very well recorded.

post #97 of 115 Old 11-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 321
If nothing that you try regarding speaker placement and treating the room does the trick for you, you could try replacing the preamp with something like a miniDSP SHD.

It's a modern digital preamp with Dirac Live room correction, high quality DAC's and very good measured performance.You could also use it as a digital crossover to subwoofer(s) if you decided that additional bass might help to balance the sound of your system. Dirac Live allows you to tailor a custom response curve for your system. It can be a bit of a rabbit hole as they are almost infinitely variable, but a lot of people are very happy with the Harman curves, and they would be a good place to start.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver

Last edited by Nick V; 11-22-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #98 of 115 Old 11-22-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 308
"The CA-200's easygoing and laid-back upper midrange and treble are ideal for the speakers."

Some individuals believe electrons are like people, they possess different personalities. I wonder if electrons have genes?
CruelInventions and Timestoo like this.

Save your money.
post #99 of 115 Old 11-23-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timestoo View Post
Actually from that, I discovered my true passion of my life, electronics. I quit music in 79 and went on had a full career in electronic engineer until I retired. Then I went in full circle and designed/built 2 guitar amps. This time in the right way using MOSFET to do the power scaling. Both have channel switching. BUT, I really are not interested in playing anymore, it's a waste to design guitar amps. One also sit in the shed. So I switch to design hifi power amps. Hey, it's better than doing crossword puzzles!!! This keeps my mind active.

Alan, it's funny how one can spend their whole life trying to find something that lights up their soul. You put a smile on my face when I read this post because I believe life's true riches has very little to do with money. Also, you are very modest...I could kick back and listen to you play, anytime!

Thanks for the complement. I believe in finding a career that I truly have a passion in it. 8 hours a day, 40hr. a week is too much if I don't enjoy what I am doing. I don't choose career for the money. But if one really like what he/she is doing, money will come. I did look very hard at the time. I had a Chemistry degree, but I hate it, I rather worked as pizza delivery for a while looking for my true passion. What I did not expect was I gave up music because it took too much time away from my longing to study electronics. I just woke up one day, packed my guitar up, never even open the case for a few years in 1979.

I never believe in getting a job because it pays good. I teach my grand kids to look for their passion, don't worry about going into a career for the money. If you have passion, you'll be good at it, and you'll be reward for it.

One important thing, this is just talking out loud. I have schematic of Classe 150, 300, 301, 400 and 401. BUT I could not find yours. I read their service manual, it's not well written, but I think they adjust the bias too low. My question to you is after your amp is on for like 1/2hr., how warm the heatsink? If it is barely warm, you are under bias even it might be adjusted to spec.

To adjust the bias, you adjust VR102 if you know some electronics. My experience is you measure ( in case of the others R1 to R6) and average should be about 30mV. This is where I find the sweetest sound. Believe me, the bias really really make a difference.

I don't want to encourage you to stick your hands into the amp, I don't want to be responsible if anything happens. Just want to have you at least check how hot is the heatsink. Nelson Pass gave a very good advice to people, you adjust and feel the heatsink after 30minutes of warmup. If you can hold onto the heatsink with your hands for at lest 15 seconds, it's not too hot. We can talk more after you respond.
yodog likes this.

post #100 of 115 Old 11-23-2019, 03:15 PM

Timestoo, if you want the bias in your power amplifier checked, take it to a professional.
Ratman likes this.

Save your money.
post #101 of 115 Old 11-23-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Problem is I read the service manual of that class of amps, I think they adjusted too low. Let him do the hand test, maybe if it is too cold, bring it to the shop and ask them to up a little. Higher bias will make the amp sounds warmer and smoother. This, I have tons of experience and experiments.

post #102 of 115 Old 11-23-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Problem is I read the service manual of that class of amps, I think they adjusted too low. Let him do the hand test, maybe if it is too cold, bring it to the shop and ask them to up a little. Higher bias will make the amp sounds warmer and smoother. This, I have tons of experience and experiments.
I will give it a hand check when I get it hooked up. I'm not up on electronics but would love to have a better understanding. I'm recently retired from working one job and semi retired from a machine shop I started some 26 years ago. Finally having some me time and want nothing more than to enjoy my music at a modest level I can afford. I hope to give better feedback soon..thanks

Oh, any electronics 101 info recommendations?

Last edited by Timestoo; 11-23-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #103 of 115 Old 11-23-2019, 04:38 PM

Recommendations? Yes, when adjustments need to be made, take your power amp to a hifi shop. Don't attempt anything internally on your own.
Ratman likes this.

Save your money.
post #104 of 115 Old 11-23-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will give it a hand check when I get it hooked up. I'm not up on electronics but would love to have a better understanding. I'm recently retired from working one job and semi retired from a machine shop I started some 26 years ago. Finally having some me time and want nothing more than to enjoy my music at a modest level I can afford. I hope to give better feedback soon..thanks

Now, don't do anything until you finish the speaker cables and experiment with the speakers placement. You might be very happy after that already. After that, then you can think about amp adjustment. I don't believe in throwing money first and see. I did not even suggest you to buy the room treatment until you exhausted all the free improvements.

Yes, hand check. If it is cool to the touch, I suggest to talk to the shop, tell them straight up you want to increase the bias and see whether they are willing to do that. You already sent it out for adjustment, this means they already adjusted to factory spec, no use to check that anymore. The idea is to adjust it hotter. They should not charge you more than $10 or $20 for that. I would be more than happy to adjust for you for free if you are close by. It's a 5min job, mostly is to find the pot.

In more than two amps, I got better sound adjusting it hotter than spec. My Acurus improved quite a bit adjusting hotter from factory spec. Even the factory recommendation of the PA-7 designed by Nelson Pass was adjusted to cold. This question was asked to Nelson Pass on increasing the bias. This is what he suggested............Adjust, let it warm up, grab the heatsink, if you can grap on to it for 15 sec, that's the right adjustment. I am telling you to grab onto it longer. If you can grab onto the heatsink for say 30 sec. It should be safe.

I studies the circuit of your type of amp, it's actually very simple design ( simple is not bad). I would adjust the average voltage across R1 to R4 ( I am guessing as I don't have the schematic. The others are all from R1 to the last resistor at the output transistors) to 30mV if it's not too hot. For my amp, I put a small computer fan under the amp to keep it cooler after adjustment.

I have to look around for a beginner's book. It's fun.

Last edited by alan0354; 11-23-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #105 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
Quote:

http://engineering.nyu.edu/gk12/amps...lectronics.pdf
http://www.ece.mtu.edu/faculty/ljboh...t/elint200.pdf

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #106 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much!

I did buy some acoustic panels from AU Acoustics in Ukraine. They arrived in perfect condition and in only 3 weeks. Thought I would improve the room acoustics while in this mess....it's been fun so far!
post #107 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much!

I did buy some acoustic panels from AU Acoustics in Ukraine. They arrived in perfect condition and in only 3 weeks. Thought I would improve the room acoustics while in this mess....it's been fun so far!
The first article is very good, you don't have to read the LED unless you want to. It's not necessary for understanding amps.

The second article is too advance, you don't need to learn those equivalent circuits unless you are designing circuits.

Here is some really basic stuffs and voltage current calculation of resistor and how to read resistor values.https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/resistors/all

Start with these and see where you are at first, then I'll find more for you. It's important to know how to calculate voltages and currents. Most of the trouble shooting is by first calculating the voltages in the circuit and measuring the voltages to verify it's according to calculation. You'd be surprised how many trouble shooting are just done by simple voltage measurement instead of using the oscilloscope and other fancy stuffs.

post #108 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 01:38 PM

Calculating voltage and current without knowing basic electronics is useless.
There is more to Electronics 101 than resistors.
Basic electronics first... then measure and calculate when you have an understanding.

Learn to walk before you run.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #109 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Calculating voltage and current without knowing basic electronics is useless.
There is more to Electronics 101 than resistors.
Basic electronics first... then measure and calculate when you have an understanding.

Learn to walk before you run.
Do you know electronics? Or you just pull things out of thin air. You understand any of article you pulled?

Wrong, you show the first article on transistors, that's flying already, not walking or running. The first lesson is learning resistor voltage divider and ohm's law. Learn how to read resistor color code. Then learning capacitors. These are covered in high school physics on electricity. Then your article of very basic transistor.

The second article you linked is WAY WAY too advance, those are equivalent circuit representing transistors are a current source, more helpful for designing circuits than to get started. Those are more NETWORK THEOREM. You need to know transistor, voltage divider calculation and all to use that. You don't even necessary know those if you are only a service technician for amps.

Last edited by alan0354; 11-24-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #110 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Sorry.
Carry on.

Is this good?
https://www.instructables.com/id/Basic-Electronics/

Last edited by Ratman; 11-24-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #111 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Then after learning those basic resistor voltage dividers and ohm's law, you can buy this book USED. Really cheap. I learn really basic electronics in college, this is the book I got into electronics. It is a very easy to understand book. I studied on my own to start my career in 1979. Later, I used the knowledge from this book and got a job designing analog Integrated Circuits with Exar Corp for a few years. It is that useful. This book is THAT GOOD. I had the older version. But until you get through the basic ohm's law, you should not start with this one. This book will introduce you into the equivalent circuits on the second article.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Pr...s%2C845&sr=8-2

post #112 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The first article you gave was actually VERY GOOD, showing how to look at transistors like water faucet, that's even better than Malvino book I linked. That should come right after ohm's law.

post #113 of 115 Old 11-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Thanks...

I think the poster just wanted some references to get a "BASIC" understanding about electronics. I don't think he wants to design and build amps. Just some basic knowledge.
Although, I could be wrong.

post #114 of 115 Old 11-25-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks...

I think the poster just wanted some references to get a "BASIC" understanding about electronics. I don't think he wants to design and build amps. Just some basic knowledge.
Although, I could be wrong.
I appreciate any and all reference material you good folks can provide! None of this is life or death so, smile onwards!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Ratman and postrokfan like this.

Last edited by Timestoo; 11-25-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #115 of 115 Old 12-02-2019, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just got to say, much respect to Alan and his willingness to share his wealth of genuine knowledge.

FWIW I second the notion of saving $20 and check for the potentiometer yourself and adjust clockwise.

Do it all or don't do it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page