Does anyone make just 2 channel or 2.1 stereo receivers anymore - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 32 Old 11-18-2019, 12:24 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Agreed. Not all amps are alike. Not all specs can be trusted. So, where do we go from here in trying to help the OP?

High quality power supplies are usually reserved for the better (far more expensive) amps on the market. The mid-fi options we are discussing are probably excluded from that discussion.

All I was trying to convey to the OP was that a minor difference in wattage should not be viewed as a significant factor in the decision. If I had said, "Forget specs and trust your ears", would that have resonated with the OP? Probably not.

I was trying to follow this tenet:

The other extreme are the inexpensive Class D amps advertising "50WPC" that have a power supply that will only allow, at most, 20WPC.

I guess we don't have to get too far into the weeds, but a couple hundred extra in an amp is usually money well spent (in mid-fi) if the budget allows.

My only concern is that people think that "xxWPC" is some sort of hard and fast measurement when in reality it only tells a certain part of the story (the way the manufacturer wants it to be told, no less).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 11-18-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2979 Post(s)
Liked: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
The other extreme are the inexpensive Class D amps advertising "50WPC" that have a power supply that will only allow, at most, 20WPC.

I guess we don't have to get too far into the weeds, but a couple hundred extra in an amp is usually money well spent (in mid-fi) if the budget allows.

My only concern is that people think that "xxWPC" is some sort of hard and fast measurement when in reality it only tells a certain part of the story (the way the manufacturer wants it to be told, no less).
We're on the same page here.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page