rewiring tonearm - Linn Axis / Linn Basik + - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-18-2019, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
rewiring tonearm - Linn Axis / Linn Basik +

Hello folks,

long story, short... I have purchased Linn Axis turntable (Linn Basik+ tonearm) and the previous owner reported only that the cartridge is broken. After picking up item, without verifying anything excepts that it powers on and platter is spinning. When I got home I installed new cartridge but dead silent. I looked at DIN cable and after unplugging it I noticed that entire arm is moving freely up and down and when I very slowly and very, very carefully pull it up I noticed no resistance at all. When it went out I noticed that there is no wires coming from the arm. At this point I realized that someone messed up very badly.

In short I need to rewire the arm and fix few other thing along the way... as I said before only that's working is power and motor spinning, not even at the right speed.

I have few questions were I am at this point clueless.

- Usually the tonearms have somewhere point where to connect the ground (black) wire. I could not find anywhere anything on this arm. Where is the ground wire connected? I see that DIN connector had a ground soldered in but all the wires were removed from there.

- The other thing that I am struggling is, what wires to use to rewire the arm. I heard that some people use Cardas wires (Clear or Original), some VdH and highly prized Audio Note.
I checked the prices for those and the cheapest one was around 60$ for foot (short!)
The cheapest one I found was Zavifino at 60$ for a meter... Other then that I read somewhere on the net that people use mouse wire but do not know anyone that has used this type of wire. Any experience with that one?

As I am not professional who repair TT but in my opinion this is not complicated I think that I can tackle this project and I just need a slight push in the right direction.

Hope that someone can chime in with some useful info!

All the best.

Rotel RC-1070; Rotel RB-1050; Rotel RB-1562; Yamaha WXA-50;
NAD Wireless USB DAC 2; Chromecast Audio (4x); Antique Sound Lab MG OTL 32 DT Headphone/Pre amplifier; Sony MDR7506 Pro; Grado SR80e; Beyerdynamics DT931;
Wharfedale Diamond D220; Wharfedale Diamond D10 Sub; PSB G Design GB-1; Totem Mite; Tannoy Sub; Canton Sub; Canton Plus S; Canton Movie 70; Kenwood KD-2055; Pro-ject Debut III USB

Last edited by RAART; 11-18-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page