• 1 Post By happycamper820

post #1 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 4203
Roon Price Increase

I went to start a trial for Roon and noticed the price increased from $499 to $699 for lifetime. I was on the fence at $499, but am walking away briskly at $699.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have not tried Roon yet but am interested. That price is quite steep for a software only product. I use Audirvana and am generally happy with the sound quality...
post #3 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 715
The CEO posted a pretty interesting (and transparant) post about it on their message boards:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lif...-499-699/84339

FWIW my opinion is that:
1) As a lifetime subscriber this is great news for me; it means Roon is thinking long-term-health (which likely is better served with the annual-subscription-model) over indulging in a pile of short-term "candy" (his words, not mine) in ways they could have brought along an influx of $500 lifetime subs.

2) I do think it's a little crappy on their part to *only* make the offer available to free-trialers and annual-subscribers-whose-subscription-is-less-than-30-days-old. I'd be *really* chapped off if my annual sub was ~10 months old and I had every intention of switching to the Lifetime before my next sub was up... and they didn't give me the option to do so at $500. That's unfortunate for them. I would have preferred to see them make that offer available to ANY annual subscribers, to switch "within the next week at $500 rather than $700".

But overall it's good news in that I think it means business is going well over at Roon. It's fantastic software. It does *almost* everything you I want it to do. It does so many things so well... things that I had no idea I wanted ("needed") before I tried Roon. It's very well-thought-out, and powerful/capable.

If you are only what I'll call a "desktop user" - one "seat", at a desk, with headphones - and - nearfield speakers, then I think you can get an equally-good-experience from other alternatives for a lot less money. BUT if you have multiple endpoints in multiple rooms, there is nothing that I know of that is more powerful, capable, and elegant, at feeding-and-controlling multiple zones, than Roon.
wassup and mfgillia like this.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Unfortunate, I was considering to buy it
post #5 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 10:39 AM
CFP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I too was considering the lifetime license at $500 but will probably explore other options (Emby, etc) at this point. I’m not sure I buy their CEO’s rationale as it stinks very much of self-sacrificial, moral grandstanding.

I’m also skeptical of the “weaning off junk food” excuse for not giving advance notice on the price hike. 1) They did it before and despite the supposed hindsight gnashing of teeth, they are doing pretty well today, and 2) the average person lacking self-discipline not to gorge on junk food is understandable if not excusable. A company’s management who lacks the financial self-discipline to budget and plan is neither understandable nor excusable.

Bottom line is I think they are primarily fishing for investors and a steady, reliable income stream makes them that much more attractive an investment than otherwise. Also I (cynic that I am) see mentioning (in an “offhand manner”) that the lifetime subscription option will eventually go away is an attempt to drive a gorge of “candy” at an inflated price in time for the holiday season.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Last edited by CFP; 11-22-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 42
CEO explanation makes great points... unless you throw Audirvana+ into the equation... then 500-700 a year seems...expensive.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
I too was considering the lifetime license at $500 but will probably explore other options (Emby, etc) at this point. I’m not sure I buy their CEO’s rationale as it stinks very much of self-sacrificial, moral grandstanding.

I’m also skeptical of the “weaning off junk food” excuse for not giving advance notice on the price hike. 1) They did it before and despite the supposed hindsight gnashing of teeth, they are doing pretty well today, and 2) the average person lacking self-discipline not to gorge on junk food is understandable if not excusable. A company’s management who lacks the financial self-discipline to budget and plan is neither understandable nor excusable.

Bottom line is I think they are primarily fishing for investors and a steady, reliable income stream makes them that much more attractive an investment than otherwise. Also I (cynic that I am) see mentioning (in an “offhand manner”) that the lifetime subscription option will eventually go away is an attempt to drive a gorge of “candy” at an inflated price in time for the holiday season.
Amazon is going to own the streaming market in short order. Tidal has officially been put on notice in my opinion. These boutique brands providing meta data and library consolidation for the few people left with personal media will be minuscule. I will not give Roon a second look at this pricing, and I have zero interest in paying a monthly service for library/streaming integration with metadata I will probably never utilize. Best of luck to them, they are going to need it.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 3173
Recently began trial-one year sub to provide time to build server, acquire suitable tablet for remote, etc., intending to purchase $499 lifetime if all went well. Now feel as if someone stuck a gun to my ribs.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Amazon is going to own the streaming market in short order. Tidal has officially been put on notice in my opinion.
Unless you know something I don't about a way to put Amazon into WASAPI Exclusive on desktop, or bypass the Android renderer using something equivalent to USB-APP on mobile, or cast to people's HiFi speaker systems using there current streamers/receivers/gear.... I completely disagree.

I have subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz currently, and as long as everything above remains true I have no intention to pick up Amazon's in addition to or in place of either of them...
mfgillia likes this.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.

Last edited by psuKinger; 11-23-2019 at 04:52 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-23-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Unless you know something I don't about a way to put Amazon into WASAPI Exclusive on desktop, or bypass the Android renderer using something equivalent to USB-APP on mobile, or cast to people's HiFi speaker systems using there current streamers/receivers/gear.... I completely disagree.

I have subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz currently, and as long as everything above remains true I have no intention to pick up Amazon's in addition to or in place of either of them...
Amazon HD just launched. You may not have a choice as most industry experts believe Tidal will be displaced by Amazon and will not survive. If Amazon becomes the primary streaming service, hardware vendors will adopt it. Too early to tell, but I tend to agree with the articles I have read on the future of the industry. Only time will tell. In all transparency, I don't use any service. I stream my local collection within my home via BluOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Recently began trial-one year sub to provide time to build server, acquire suitable tablet for remote, etc., intending to purchase $499 lifetime if all went well. Now feel as if someone stuck a gun to my ribs.
If I read the CEO article correct, you are covered under the old price.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-23-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 3173
Quote:
If I read the CEO article correct, you are covered under the old price.
Unless they're willing to visit a new house and pick up a paintbrush, the 30 days offered isn't enough time against many competing priorities.

After a few weeks on a clunky pc, it's by far the most intuitive diy streamer I've used and has excellent network capabilities; can't wait to try the remote. The extensive metadata has limited value to me, and am concerned re: creeping adware. Biggest wish from this old guy is a file folder hierarchy view, apparently a nonstarter.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-23-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Amazon HD just launched. You may not have a choice as most industry experts believe Tidal will be displaced by Amazon and will not survive. If Amazon becomes the primary streaming service, hardware vendors will adopt it. Too early to tell, but I tend to agree with the articles I have read on the future of the industry. Only time will tell. In all transparency, I don't use any service. I stream my local collection within my home via BluOS.
I'm perfectly fine with us landing on a "agree to disagree" place here, but I question the "many industry experts" that believe that.

Without things like a desktop application that supports WASAPI Exclusive mode (something that SHOULD HAVE been part of the roll-out), current audiophiles with Tidal/Qobuz subscriptions aren't gong to switch en-masse.

It's possibel that "it's early" and "Amazon will eventually integrate with and support a wide range of non-amazon hardware and software".... but.... based on their past performance and behaviours elsewhere, I personally wouldn't bank on that.

So they're left with trying to convince new/interested audiophiles to:
A) care about audio quality and pay them more for it (which hasn't been the general trend for the last 20ish years)
B) Go all-in on their service/ecosystem/hardware-for-the-software

I would never go so far as to say Amazon can't/won't make it work.... but I think it's far from a slam dunk. Everything I've read and seen online and "IRL" suggests that it has gotten off to a pretty rocky/slow start.
wassup likes this.

post #13 of 15 Old 11-23-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I'm perfectly fine with us landing on a "agree to disagree" place here, but I question the "many industry experts" that believe that.

Without things like a desktop application that supports WASAPI Exclusive mode (something that SHOULD HAVE been part of the roll-out), current audiophiles with Tidal/Qobuz subscriptions aren't gong to switch en-masse.

It's possibel that "it's early" and "Amazon will eventually integrate with and support a wide range of non-amazon hardware and software".... but.... based on their past performance and behaviours elsewhere, I personally wouldn't bank on that.

So they're left with trying to convince new/interested audiophiles to:
A) care about audio quality and pay them more for it (which hasn't been the general trend for the last 20ish years)
B) Go all-in on their service/ecosystem/hardware-for-the-software

I would never go so far as to say Amazon can't/won't make it work.... but I think it's far from a slam dunk. Everything I've read and seen online and "IRL" suggests that it has gotten off to a pretty rocky/slow start.
I agree with you on all points but "audiophiles" are so few in number they won't keep anyone's lights on. Tidal is rumored to barely be keeping the lights on as it is. Tidal claims 3 million subscribers but many analysts question that number and estimate it be closer to a million. If Amazon erodes any of their market share, which they undoubtedly will, they might not survive. Amazon wouldn't have entered the HD market if they didn't have their eyes on Tidal's market share. Too early to tell.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just killed my Tidal subscription for Amazon HD.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-23-2019, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tidal seemed to have more HD tracks of the music I listened to but as an Amazon Prime member the 50 percent subscription price increase wasn't worth it. By itself it doesn't seem like a lot but you gotta try and manage all those monthly bills that we all have. Daughter wanted Disney+ so I cut my music subscription cost.
Molon_Labe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page