• 1 Post By JA Fant

post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 5250
Unhappy Ken Ishiwata RIP

Sad news coming out Ken Ishiwata the Brand Ambassador and designer for Marantz for over 40 years has passed away, November 25.
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Sad news coming out Ken Ishiwata the Brand Ambassador and designer for Marantz for over 40 years has passed away, November 25.
Bummer, RIP.
JA Fant likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2382 Post(s)
Liked: 3003
Sad news indeed R.I.P
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-05-2019, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4179 Post(s)
Liked: 2625
RIP indeed. Strange that I've never hear of this guy, but did some reading and like this guy already.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/features...-marantz-sound

"Measurement or listening... which takes priority?

All measurements we do are static. Yes, they are essential to find out how amplifiers are working, but they don’t tell you about the sound quality. You have been in my listening room in Eindhoven. We’ve spent so many hours in that room listening and fine tuning all Marantz products. Sometimes that listening forces us to change our basic design, despite the fact that the measurements are okay."
post #5 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1124
Really sad news. I loved watching product videos and interviews with him, seemed like the heart and soul of Marantz. I think his DNA could be plainly seen in all of their 2-channel stuff. Would love a KI Ruby set.

RIP.
JA Fant likes this.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|B&W 706 S2|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #6 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post

https://www.whathifi.com/us/features...-marantz-sound

"Measurement or listening... which takes priority?

All measurements we do are static. Yes, they are essential to find out how amplifiers are working, but they don’t tell you about the sound quality. You have been in my listening room in Eindhoven. We’ve spent so many hours in that room listening and fine tuning all Marantz products. Sometimes that listening forces us to change our basic design, despite the fact that the measurements are okay."
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Really sad news. I loved watching product videos and interviews with him, seemed like the heart and soul of Marantz. I think his DNA could be plainly seen in all of their 2-channel stuff. Would love a KI Ruby set.
Yes, a fascinating fellow to listen to in his seminars and when being interviewed.

Like all designers who develop audio components he knew the limitations of measurements and the need for evaluations by ear. He was probably best known for his voicing of Marantz's products. Along with his engineering team, their components achieved the desired sonics, as described by Marantz, through "painstaking tuning and extensive listening sessions."

As K.I. stated in an interview earlier this year (cited above), "Unfortunately, specifications don’t tell you about sound quality. That’s not just for DACs, it’s for everything."

In a Stereophile interview (linked below) he was the only component designer, which I can recall, that explained to a publication his company's specific sonic signature:

"I fell in love with the way Marantz products communicated with music. It had such a passion, a character, a very specific soundstage; very warm mids, beautiful voices. I wanted to keep that Marantz identity. I paid a lot of attention to the details on every single product--which wasn't easy, to be honest--especially because we have different price categories. Maintaining on every class of price the same philosophy."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ssador-marantz

(Edit: Typo fix)
wassup, Class A, JA Fant and 1 others like this.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.

Last edited by Alex F.; 12-06-2019 at 06:09 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-14-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
The Master has passed to the great gig in the sky. R.I.P.
Panson likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-15-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
The Master has passed to the great gig in the sky. R.I.P.
I read between the lines of his Marantz departure that Sound United was pulling the Marantz strings too tight. It's too bad he couldn't remain at Marantz to the end, as he thought he would, but it's more important to stay true to self. R.I.P. Ken Ishiwata (1947 - 2019)

Related:

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/mar...after-41-years

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/ken...e-dies-aged-72

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #9 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 02:22 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

RIP.
I had a Ki-Ruby amp in my home for about 3 weeks. While it did a lot of things *really* good, there were some that I was surprised that it did not do.

I wonder just how much he was really allowed to do toward the end. I really liked his philosophy toward sound...guys like that seem to be few and far between anymore.
JA Fant likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-01-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I read between the lines of his Marantz departure that Sound United was pulling the Marantz strings too tight. It's too bad he couldn't remain at Marantz to the end, as he thought he would, but it's more important to stay true to self. R.I.P. Ken Ishiwata (1947 - 2019)

Related:

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/mar...after-41-years

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/ken...e-dies-aged-72

Beautiful pic!
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page