Originally Posted by justin42
My current setup is JRiver on a Win10 machine running Dirac -> Benchmark HGC DAC2 -> Benchmark AHB2 amp -> Aerial 6Ts. I love the way everything sounds, but the Win10 machine is getting long in the tooth, requiring frequent reboots. I also just starting using Tidal and while I love the sound quality, having to control it with a mouse is a pain. So I'm thinking of ditching the PC and moving to a streaming box, but Dirac is a must. My initial thought was to buy a Bluesound Vault 2 and miniDSP ddrc-22d (https://www.minidsp.com/dirac-series/ddrc-22d
) and go Bluesound -> miniDSP -> Benchmark HGC DAC2. Any reasons to go with an all-in-one solution like the NAD C658 unit over the two box one? I have ~600 CDs ripped in FLAC that I want to be able to easily access, and while I listen to a lot of new stuff on Tidal these days, still buy CDs and want to be able to rip them easily. Thank you!
I have a Bluesound Node feeding a DDRC-22D (using Dirac Live), works great. Here a few things to consider between the miniDSP and NAD route:
- also a digital preamp (3 inputs, 3 outputs (all always active) plus digital volume control)
- no bass management
- more components means more clutter but also more flexibility
- you'll likely want to spend the extra $100 to get full version Dirac Live
- NAD doesn't advertise this well, but unit does full bass management (high pass filter on main pre-outs mirroring low pass filter on sub-outs). Doesn't look like you have subs, but if you go that way in the future, you're covered. With the DDRC-22D you'd need to implement bass management externally (like I do)
- phono input (if you care), plus the ability to room correct analog sources (there's a miniDSP for that too tho)
Both options will get the job done. Obviously, price will also be an important factor.
Since you're looking a NAD, which is a full preamp with Dirac Live, you should also consider the miniDSP SHD pre-amp (does everything the NAD does without phono input, Volumino streaming instead of BluOS, but has balanced preouts for subs and mains).