2.1 audio with music server...looking for forum discussions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By qirex

post #1 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2.1 audio with music server...looking for forum discussions

I cannot seem to find and area where ppl are discussing home distribution of digital 2.1 music. Looking for ideas on music servers, gear, recording quality, or general discussion

I have just started to listen to 2.1 audio lossless over a home network. Most of which are my CDs that I have converted to digital. Others include purchased high res 24 bit music.

Gear: as of now 🙂
KEF q150
SVS NSD SB12
Yamaha 7850 receiver
Western digital my cloud PR2100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty D. View Post
I cannot seem to find and area where ppl are discussing home distribution of digital 2.1 music. Looking for ideas on music servers, gear, recording quality, or general discussion

I have just started to listen to 2.1 audio lossless over a home network. Most of which are my CDs that I have converted to digital. Others include purchased high res 24 bit music.

KEF q150
SVS NSD SB12
Yamaha 7850 receiver
Well, Marty, I've got a 2.1 desktop system & a 2.2 big system, and all of the music is on a networked server. It's worked out well for me overall, mainly (1) I can now find things, (2) I can use the same music library on 3 home systems & even my phone when I'm on the exercise bike, and (3) sound quality equals or exceeds a good CD player, plus I can download and listen to higher-resolution files.

Most of my library is classical, with some jazz, folk, and acoustic guitar. What kind of music do you like?

P.S. You might find more discussion of music-only matters on an audio-focused venue such as AudioCircle.

Mike (Portland, Oregon -- Long gone from North Carolina)

Main 2.2 system: Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classé CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

KEF q150
SVS NSD SB12
Yamaha 7850 receiver
Look into Allo Signature One Transport

https://allo.com/sparky/index-transport.html

This is a raspberry Pi based system

The Signature One can read music files on NAS drive, upscale to be sent to a DAC of your choice

Another source is HIFI Berry

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/board...berry-dac-pro/

for DAc I use the SMSL SU8 then out to a Crown amp

Its a different way but works extremely well

Jim Meader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Most of the music streaming discussions on AVS can be found in two sections- here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/153-c...ic-transports/ and here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ent-streaming/

As for me, I am still rocking the Logitech Squeezebox system. While the official hardware has long since been discontinued there is still a large community keeping the system alive and relevant. It is super simple to build your own low cost system based on the Raspberry Pi that will give you access to all of your local music as well as many of the major streaming services. Have a look here https://forums.slimdevices.com/ and here https://www.picoreplayer.org/ for more info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 12-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMeader View Post
Look into Allo Signature One Transport

https://allo.com/sparky/index-transport.html
I second that! I built an Allo DigiOne transport and am amazed at how close it comes to some far more expensive gear. The Signature recommended by Jim is supposed to be a step above. P.S. I use the iFi iPower power supply for it -- very cost effective.

Mike (Portland, Oregon -- Long gone from North Carolina)

Main 2.2 system: Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classé CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-10-2019, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:

KEF q150
SVS NSD SB12
Yamaha 7850 receiver
There is a networking sub forum on AVS, you might try there.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #7 of 7 Old 12-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I've been running Sonos, and earlier Squeezebox with various vintages of a mac mini used as a server for years. Most of my content is lossless CD rips which I stream using a combination of Airplay and Sonos. At this point it's pretty bulletproof, at least for CD quality I don't have transport issues anymore. I do use the Sonos mesh for the wireless portion of my system instead of my normal network.

I think the big differentiator between a lot of the systems is actually the interface for the software you use which is why I like Sonos so much, I can control it from anywhere (phone, tablet, computer) and it works with almost every service. If you're not doing high resolution I think it's a solid option.
ltusler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page