Qobuz Studio Premiere Subscription - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By happycamper820

post #1 of 7 Old 12-19-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Qobuz Studio Premiere Subscription

Anyone subscribe? Yay or Nay? I keep giving Amazon HD the benefit of the doubt but for whatever reason it's just not being supported by the method I listen to music. Tidal and Qobuz are supported but I don't like Tidal's focus on rap since I don't listen to that genre at all. Amazon HD is the cheapest but the Qobuz SP subscription is just $2 more per month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 6005
I just started the Qobuz trial. I actually think Tidal has a decent selection but for some unknown reason I still have technical issues (intermittent drop-outs). It's not hardware, internet/speed/router related. I've read that for whatever reason certain regions have this issue.

2-channel: PSB Imagine T, Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW610, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red, Zen Blue
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, SVS SB-1000, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Nuforce DDA-120, Lenovo Ultrabook
BR: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), NAD 326BEE, B&W ASW608
post #3 of 7 Old 12-21-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper820 View Post
Anyone subscribe? Yay or Nay? I keep giving Amazon HD the benefit of the doubt but for whatever reason it's just not being supported by the method I listen to music. Tidal and Qobuz are supported but I don't like Tidal's focus on rap since I don't listen to that genre at all. Amazon HD is the cheapest but the Qobuz SP subscription is just $2 more per month.

Great question, I'm the same here with Amazon HD, with which I just completed my three month free trial. I listen via my laptop pc, connected via USB cable to my DAC. The most aggravating thing with Amazon HD continues to be the drops in streaming quality to SD in the middle of tracks. I don't care anything about rap either, and I don't know what to make of MQA either, as some say it's the knees bees while others say it is a gimmick and altering the sound. I'm thinking about giving Quobuz a try.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II towers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T towers(Surrounds), Polk LSiM706 center, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Sony 75" 900E.
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Onkyo TX-NR809, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2019, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I canceled the Qobuz subscription after one day. I don't like their Windows app or the Android app plus they didn't have some of the songs I found on Amazon HD. Sound quality as good as Amazon HD and Tidal but Amazon and Tidal have better apps.

So I tried the Deezer hi-fi 3 months free offer this morning and I like it. This is my new steaming music service. It's only CD quality and some may want the higher res offered by others but I'm perfectly fine with CD quality. There apps are okay I can live with it. Their Windows app feels very aged because it's white background when the rest of the web world is moving to dark background themes.

The one thing I like about the Windows app that I could never do with Amazon HD, Tidal, or Qobuz is you can add multiple songs from an artist by checkbox and then just press add. Maybe I just never figured it out on the others but I had to add each song individually when I wasn't adding an entire album.

Three months free then $14.99 a month after that sounds good to me plus it works natively with the wireless function on my amp whereas Amazon HD had me tethered to a laptop.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 6005
I agree, the app is not nearly as good as Tidal, Spotify, etc. However, the SQ is great and no technical issues.

2-channel: PSB Imagine T, Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW610, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red, Zen Blue
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, SVS SB-1000, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Nuforce DDA-120, Lenovo Ultrabook
BR: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), NAD 326BEE, B&W ASW608
post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Update on Deezer

Really like it so far but just one problem and it's a pretty biggie...they have server issues way too often making it difficult to connect from my phone to my home stereo wirelessly which is the main reason I discontinued Amazon HD and started searching for another music service. If I have to stay tethered to the amp by USB with a laptop I may as well use Amazon HD and save a few bucks plus get higher quality tracks. I'll wait out the 3-month free trial to end and hope they get these problems solved. I put away my USB cable last yesterday thinking I won't have to use it again but I need to bring the laptop back again because wireless is too unreliable right now. And if Amazon HD starts working wirelessly then I'll just go back to Amazon HD.

Update

I found the menu option for dark mode on the PC app so I really like this now. Still having issues connecting wirelessly couldn't connect at all last night but it was intermittent over the weekend. Tethering with a USB cable is not that bad but if they don't solve the wireless issue I'll be tempted to switch back to Amazon HD once the trial is over.
mtrot likes this.

Last edited by happycamper820; 12-24-2019 at 01:23 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Tried them all, sticking to Spotify family plan after I auditioned the very limited MQA selection on my home office stereo setup using the NT-505 DAC.

Corporate greed has no limits these days, the average CEO in 1970 made 100x more than average employee, now at 2000-3000x.

Furman IT-Reference 20i(amps/sub) & Elite-20PFi(low current) > Harmony-659 > Marantz-UD9004(bal.2+RCA7.1)/Sony UBP-X800/AppleTV-64GB/Dell Latitude 5490 w. W15 dock > Marantz-AV8805 & Classé-CP700(bypass)/King-Cobra-all > Epson-LS10500/Carada-1.4/Samsung QN32Q50RAFXZA secondary monitor/music-ARC> Classé CA-2200 & CA-5100, two Zamp v.3 for 7.4.1> Belden 10AWG/silver/gold > Paradigm-S8v.2-7.1.4(Servo15v2/P-80A)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page