1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike in NC

post #1 of 3 Old 12-25-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Teac NT-505 vs MiniDSP SHD

Hi All, I am looking to replace my very old Klyne 6LE preamp with something modern. I've been looking at the Teac and the SHD, both of which fill my needs (primarily streaming these days). Although the feature set is somewhat different, they both support Roon and Spotify Premium and Airplay (via toslink into either one).

But I do not see many reviews for either of these items, so I am casting about for opinions on them. I would be very interested to hear if you have experience to share.

Oh, the rest of the system is an Audio Research 150.2 into Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-2019, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 44
post #3 of 3 Old 12-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbstoller View Post
Hi All, I am looking to replace my very old Klyne 6LE preamp with something modern. I've been looking at the Teac and the SHD, both of which fill my needs (primarily streaming these days). Although the feature set is somewhat different, they both support Roon and Spotify Premium and Airplay (via toslink into either one).

But I do not see many reviews for either of these items, so I am casting about for opinions on them. I would be very interested to hear if you have experience to share.

Oh, the rest of the system is an Audio Research 150.2 into Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures. Thanks!!!
I have an SHD and like it a lot. I have not yet tried it in my main system, so I can't comment on absolute sound quality, compared to my present Anthem STR Preamp. I'm using the SHD in our living-room TV-based system, and it sounds very good to me.

If you need/want the feature set of the SHD, it's hard -- if not impossible -- to beat at the price. Dirac Live is a great way improve the room/speaker interface. It's often considered one of the very best DSP systems around. I don't know if any dealers offer home trials of the two units, but that would be a great way to decide.

Regarding discussions on Audiogon: I occasionally participate in those myself, but of all fora I visit, that one seems to have the most people with strong opinions talking past one another. (Maybe because it attracts frequent traders?) Since there is someone who will love and someone who will hate every piece of audio gear, I'd be cautious of reviews from people you don't know or whose tastes aren't quite clear to you. Including me!

P.S. There is more information on the SHD at Audio Science Review, a site that attracts some controversy for its objectivist take on audio.
wassup likes this.

Mike (Portland, Oregon -- Long gone from North Carolina)

Main 2.2 system: Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classé CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.

Last edited by Mike in NC; 12-29-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Add review info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page