New To Vinyl - A Little Help Needed! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Class A
  • 1 Post By Class A
  • 1 Post By MTVhike
  • 1 Post By MSchott
  • 1 Post By isai95
  • 1 Post By Class A
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-31-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jay 79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
New To Vinyl - A Little Help Needed!

Hi all,


Over the last few months I've been doing some reasearch regarding a turntable and the top of my list is the Rega Planar One Plus with the built in phono preamp for easy plug and play connection. I've read many reviews for it and it's the one I'm leaning towards although I have'nt yet had a demo.


I'm still currently researching what amp and speakers to partner with it. My first question is, would I be right in saying that the amp would need a line out connection as the Rega already has a built in phono preamp? I'm still slightly confused about how to connect it as it's my first one.


If this is correct what amp would be recommended and also speakers to partner with the amp?


The room the system will be gong in is 11ft x 11ft so it's not huge.


My budget is a maximum of £1000.


Mant thanks in advance!
jay 79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-31-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,672
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 5250
Thumbs up

Just hook the phono to the audio input of your Integrated amp. I'm assuming your in Great Britain so I would look at Fyne Audio and the 300 series speakers. They've been getting excellent reviews in Europe and have excellent entry level prices .
jay 79 likes this.
Class A is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-31-2019, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jay 79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Just hook the phono to the audio input of your Integrated amp. I'm assuming your in Great Britain so I would look at Fyne Audio and the 300 series speakers. They've been getting excellent reviews in Europe and have excellent entry level prices .

Thank you for your thoughts and recommendation and yes I forgot to mention I'm in the UK.
jay 79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 12-31-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,672
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 5250
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay 79 View Post
Thank you for your thoughts and recommendation and yes I forgot to mention I'm in the UK.
I'm not sure if your near Richer Sounds but they have the Fyne 302's on sale for 349 pounds. The entire design team is from Tannoy. They left the company when Tannoy was sold to a China firm. They are also easy to power. Should make your choice for an Integrated amp easy.
jay 79 likes this.
Class A is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-01-2020, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
MTVhike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Do you have any amp now? If it doesn't have a phono input, then you would use a TT which includes a preamp would be a good start. Running a low-level line from the turntable to a preamp in your amp could have some difficulties re: noise, so getting a TT with built-in preamp might be good. Any amp will have a line in connection, perhaps labeled Aux. If there is a phono input, that would probably be for the TT without a preamp.
jay 79 likes this.
MTVhike is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-01-2020, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Monitor Audio is also a fine British speaker brand. They may have bookshelf speakers in your range. Elac is always a good value in speakers.
jay 79 likes this.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
MSchott is online now  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-01-2020, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jay 79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Do you have any amp now? If it doesn't have a phono input, then you would use a TT which includes a preamp would be a good start. Running a low-level line from the turntable to a preamp in your amp could have some difficulties re: noise, so getting a TT with built-in preamp might be good. Any amp will have a line in connection, perhaps labeled Aux. If there is a phono input, that would probably be for the TT without a preamp.

No I don't currently have an amp yet, still researching it along with the speakers. I think I'm very much settled on the Rega Planar One Plus though and reviews have stated that the built in phono preamp is a good one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Monitor Audio is also a fine British speaker brand. They may have bookshelf speakers in your range. Elac is always a good value in speakers.

Monitor Audio is on the top of my list along with Dali so I'm planning on having some demos soon as these are what I've been researching recently.
jay 79 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Member
 
isai95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay 79 View Post
Hi all,


Over the last few months I've been doing some reasearch regarding a turntable and the top of my list is the Rega Planar One Plus with the built in phono preamp for easy plug and play connection. I've read many reviews for it and it's the one I'm leaning towards although I have'nt yet had a demo.


I'm still currently researching what amp and speakers to partner with it. My first question is, would I be right in saying that the amp would need a line out connection as the Rega already has a built in phono preamp? I'm still slightly confused about how to connect it as it's my first one.


If this is correct what amp would be recommended and also speakers to partner with the amp?


The room the system will be gong in is 11ft x 11ft so it's not huge.


My budget is a maximum of £1000.


Mant thanks in advance!
My recommendation is to start with a good preamp that has a good phono stage input. There are really good preamps in the used market like the Nakamichi CA 5AII, Jolida JD 9 II Phono Preamp, the Audible Illusions M3A, Audio Research preamps and many more.
The preamp is the brains of a good audio system.
jay 79 likes this.

Jolida Fusion 801 70 watt tube Integrated amp, Nakamichi PA-7 Stasis 200 watt amp, Nakamichi CA-5 preamp, California Audio Labs Alpha DAC & Delta CD Transport, 20 TB PC computer for 24/96 files, Rega Planar 3 Turntable, Sennheiser HD650 headphones, Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp, Audioquest speaker cables & interconnects, Cardas interconnects and speakers cable and speakers Kimber 4VS cable.
isai95 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
MTVhike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by isai95 View Post
My recommendation is to start with a good preamp that has a good phono stage input. There are really good preamps in the used market like the Nakamichi CA 5AII, Jolida JD 9 II Phono Preamp, the Audible Illusions M3A, Audio Research preamps and many more.
The preamp is the brains of a good audio system.
By preamp, do you mean control amp? I always thought a preamp was a device to amplify mV-level signals (magnetic cartridges, microphones, etc.) to line level. It would have no controls. A control amp can be thought of as the front end of a receiver or integrated amp.
MTVhike is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-01-2020, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,518
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked: 4114
Control amp and preamp are synonymous. Both take line level inputs and boost them (or sometimes reduce them) before the signal travels to the main amp or "power amp". Phono preamps are sometimes built in to control amps and boost the very low signal of cartridges up to normal line level.
m. zillch is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-02-2020, 12:02 AM
Member
 
isai95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Control amp and preamp are synonymous. Both take line level inputs and boost them (or sometimes reduce them) before the signal travels to the main amp or "power amp". Phono preamps are sometimes built in to control amps and boost the very low signal of cartridges up to normal line level.
Also, a dedicated Phono stage is more complex made to accommodate cartridges as opposed to a cheaply made phono input of some receivers, integrated amps or other audio gear. Some preamps even have separate volume controls, one for the left channel and one for the right channel to even the signal coming from the recording. I had the Audible Illuisions M3A tube preamp for many years, excellent preamp, the best in the world for it's phono stage.

Jolida Fusion 801 70 watt tube Integrated amp, Nakamichi PA-7 Stasis 200 watt amp, Nakamichi CA-5 preamp, California Audio Labs Alpha DAC & Delta CD Transport, 20 TB PC computer for 24/96 files, Rega Planar 3 Turntable, Sennheiser HD650 headphones, Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp, Audioquest speaker cables & interconnects, Cardas interconnects and speakers cable and speakers Kimber 4VS cable.

Last edited by isai95; 01-02-2020 at 12:21 AM.
isai95 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-02-2020, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,672
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 5250
Thumbs up

I was browsing through two large UK audio chains and there are a lot of bundle choices. For example the Cambridge Audio CXA 60 Amp, CXC Transport and Monitor AudioBronze 2 speakers all for 899 pounds. At Richer Sounds. Sevenoaks has the Audio Lab 6000A and the KEFQ 350 speakers for around the same price or for a little less you can choose the Monitor Audio Bronze speakers. There are lot's of choices at both stores in your price range.
jay 79 likes this.
Class A is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
amp , Rega , speakers , turntable

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off