392Likes

post #1 of 401 Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 457 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9288 Post(s)
Liked: 16439
AudioQuest Buys GoldenEar

In a move that certain to cause waves in the audio world, The Quest Group, owner of AudioQuest cables, has purchased speaker maker GoldenEar Technology.

Now, a company that (partly) made its name exaggerating bass response specifications will synergistically join forces with a company that makes money claiming that HDMI cables can improve the quality of a video signal and that sells upgraded audiophile power cords that they claim—with a straight face—improves the sound of your system.

It's hard to predict what the future holds for GoldenEar. Its "value" as a brand rests on the fact many of its products—which do perform well overall—are not sold through online channels. It'll be interesting to see if that remains the case after this acquisition.

Anyhow, enough of my opinions. I woke up for a midnight snack and saw this in my inbox... here's the official press release.

---------

"For Immediate Release

January 2, 2020

GoldenEar Technology, manufacturer of some of the world’s highest value audiophile loudspeakers, and The Quest Group, best known as the owner of the AudioQuest brand of cables, Niagara power products, and DragonFly DACs, are very pleased to announce that GoldenEar has become part of The Quest Group, a California corporation wholly owned by AudioQuest founder and CEO Bill Low. Below is the letter that Sandy Gross sent out this morning to GoldenEar dealers and Export distributors:

I have some very exciting news to share with you: Our industry has seen a remarkable series of mergers and acquisitions over the past few years. Now I am pleased to announce that The Quest Group, the owner of AudioQuest, has acquired GoldenEar Technology. Owned by Bill Low, an ardent audiophile, The Quest Group, best known as the creator and supplier of the AudioQuest brand, has defined how a focus on audiophile performance can combine with market savvy and understanding, marketing excellence and operational excellence, to achieve exceptional business success. All of these positives mirror what GoldenEar is about, but with greater strength, resources, and capabilities.

Don Givogue, Bob Johnston, and I started GoldenEar ten years ago with the vision of creating an American classic: a strong, performance-oriented high-end audio company that would take a leading position on the world stage. We have created superb products that are unmatched in their combination of performance and value. Through our hard-hitting marketing, advertising, and fantastic reviews, we have become a well-established force in the loudspeaker marketplace. We have established a much-envied distribution network in North America through the best brick & mortar dealers. And in the international markets, with distributors in 35 countries, we have begun to establish an equally enviable worldwide presence.

When Don approached me several years ago to let me know that he wanted to retire, he tasked me with the challenge of finding the right business partner with which to join GoldenEar—one who understands who we are, what we do, and how we do it. The choice was clear: I have known Bill Low for almost 50 years, dating back to my first trip around the country to set up Polk distribution. Back then, Bill had a small high-end audio store in Portland, Oregon, and, as two fanatical audiophiles, we immediately hit it off and have been friends ever since. So, I enthusiastically approached Bill with the concept of bringing GoldenEar into The Quest Group, joining AudioQuest, and here we are today announcing that combination.

I very much want to continue with my lifelong work of creating great loudspeakers and bringing them to market. Don was the operational side of the business, and I believe that the operational strength within The Quest Group will be more than able to pick up the ball and charge ahead. I think that TQG’s capabilities will help us to create and structure an even more effective market presence, and, with their help and backing, I am confident that our sales team will grow and be able to offer even greater support to you, our dealers, distributors, and to your teams.

Internationally, from a logistical standpoint, The Quest Group is way ahead of anything that we have ever had. Their strong presence on the ground in Europe includes full warehousing and a growing sales-support structure. Their excellent Asia-Pacific team will help our current vendor interface team, as well as provide in-person sales support. Combined, these assets will be a tremendous help for GoldenEar and our distributors toward achieving growth and taking a much stronger international position. Our engineering team, strengthened by the addition of new head Benjamin Seaman, who has tremendous experience organizing and running effective engineering teams in the aerospace industry, remains in place and is busy working on new projects to help me achieve my product dreams. And our sales team of Dave Kakenmaster, Chris Volk, and Michael Grover are also in place and in gear. In addition, our in-house sales team of Anne Conaway and Mary Conaway are here and busy as always working with you and helping to make everything run smoothly and efficiently.

Of course, GoldenEar will continue to slowly and methodically pursue its own unique and independent distribution strategy. At present, about one hundred of GoldenEar’s approximately two hundred North American dealers are also AudioQuest dealers. Over time, more AudioQuest dealers might become GoldenEar dealers, though only when and where appropriate. Under no circumstances will GoldenEar become available to all AudioQuest dealers. Of course, AudioQuest is hoping that it might be appropriate for more of the GoldenEar dealer community to become AudioQuest dealers, but there is no mandate for either community to merge with the other.

I look forward to working together with you on this new chapter in the history, development, and success of GoldenEar.

Onward and Upward,
Sandy

Sandy Gross
President
GoldenEar Technology

Bill Low’s addendum:

I’m delighted to welcome GoldenEar into the heart of The Quest Group’s performance-oriented audio business.

Other than that, Sandy’s letter says it all—including the important fact that I am acquiring GoldenEar Technology because nothing is broken and nothing needs to be fixed. The businesses of GoldenEar and AudioQuest are simply complementary and compatible to a degree seldom seen when an investment business buys companies.

I have always been certain that I would only ever want to be involved with business activities that I initiated, from my stores in Portland, OR, and Santa Monica, on to AudioQuest cables, Niagara and PowerQuest power products, and the DragonFly series of portable DACs—but the opportunity to work with Sandy and share in the growth of GoldenEar is simply irresistible.

Everyone who knows Sandy has witnessed someone doing what he loves—I hope the same is obvious to those who know me. Sandy and I will now be practicing our favorite “pastime” under the same umbrella.

Sincerely,
Bill

William E. Low
CEO/Founder
The Quest Group
dba AudioQuest"

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-03-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 401 Old 01-02-2020, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Do we think AudioQuest will insert their cables and cable technology into the internals of the Goldenear speaker line?

As in the cable leads from binding posts to crossover and crossover to drivers?

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 401 Old 01-02-2020, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5748 Post(s)
Liked: 4096
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 401 Old 01-02-2020, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
Did you hear that?

All the Golden Ear fans doing a face-palm all at once!

Who's next? Nordost buys Polk Audio or Kimber purchases Tekton?

Not every day you see an oil company buy a speaker company--the GE fans must be loving this news! Now for the church of Scientilogy to buy out Bose--it could happen!

May we live in interesting times...
post #5 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Sounds like a win-win to me.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #6 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I smell the price of these great speakers going up, up, up. We will all now have to pay for William E. Low's new yacht.
Dark Matter and junior00027 like this.
post #7 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Sounds like GoldenEar prices are going to skyrocket soon. AudioQuest is like the epitome of snake oil in the audio world.
post #8 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Snake oil buys sound science? I was looking forward to the day of someday hopefully owning a GoldenEar speaker, but now? Super-, mega-, ultra-meh. That said, AudioQuest can be quite divisive so I won't open that can of worms.
head_unit likes this.
post #9 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 215
When I was building. My dream audio system, as I auditioned speakers, I asked my audio guru “well what about GE?” He looked at me with intense disdain. I ended up with KEF Blades powered by McIntosh monoblocks and haven’t looked back. As alway YMMV.
Carbo and head_unit like this.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #10 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
When I was building. My dream audio system, as I auditioned speakers, I asked my audio guru “well what about GE?” He looked at me with intense disdain. I ended up with KEF Blades powered by McIntosh monoblocks and haven’t looked back. As alway YMMV.
GoldenEar speakers sound good and I have Triton 7s in my system right now! So it pains me to be critical of the speaker brand I listen to every day.

But... the days when AMT tweeters commanded a premium are long gone (Emotivas are "GoldenEar Killers" by that standard) and GoldenEar does (unfortunately) continue a tradition started at Definitive Technology where the bass extension specification is pure science-fiction. Which is too bad since IMO the brand is good enough that it does not need to exaggerate, the real-world performance is good enough.

The brand's value rests in an audiophile cachet built up over time with full-page ads in Stereophile, just like DefTech did before. Repetition works! That, and the fact the brand is not sold online, and that there's a huge markup ("points" in retail parlance) for dealers to ensure that the salespeople at those B&M stores remain motivated to point people to the brand.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-03-2020 at 09:20 AM.
post #11 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked: 2317
GE speaker prices may not rise, but it's probable that there will be a marketing/salesperson nudge to pair AQ speaker wires/interconnects to "bring out the best of your new speakers".

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #12 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Send a message via AIM to DaemosMagen
Quote:
When I was building my dream system, I ended up with GoldenEar Reference with PrimaLuna 400 monoblocks...to each his own.

Your comment reminds me of my own anchor bias in audio. I was in the audio business for about 10 years until I moved on to more profitable (but NOT more fun) endeavors. During that time I developed a disdain for people who purchased McIntosh from our store. They all seemed a type that could care less about what it sounded like and more that it had a McIntosh plate on the front.

As such, when I was looking last year for and end system, I didn't even look at McIntosh. Clearly not the proper thing to do, but biases affect both "audio guru" and ex gurus alike.

Beware the anchor bias! (And I am sure that both of our systems sound wonderful. Enjoy the day.)
post #13 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Lol. McIntosh are for old fogies like your truly. Still love their timeless look. And they are perfect for the Blades which are difficult to drive.
head_unit likes this.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #14 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
When I was building. My dream audio system, as I auditioned speakers, I asked my audio guru “well what about GE?”
Maybe s/he thought you meant General Electric. I hear they claim to "bring good things to life".
post #15 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Calling AQ cables or any other cable brand snake oil lends less credibility to the posters without explaining why from empirical experience. Spare me the scientific/engineering theory. Ours ears are what we use to listen and enjoy music and make comparison based on our own observation in our listening environment. I used to be a longtime naysayer until I had the available funds to experiment and decide for myself if the perceived improvement/difference I hear (all else stays the same except the change of cable) was enough to justify paying for them. In some cases, not, in others yes. Value is in the eye of the beholder. However, unless one has unlimited funds, I’m sure we all determine at a certain price range if it is worth to pay more for the incremental improvement or difference, or willing to venture beyond. In my 20 year journey, I’m at the point where changes in cables in my systems have made a marked improvement in sound quality. I will continue to pursue in this area. For the most part, I’m quite content with my components.
post #16 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
In a move that certain to cause waves in the audio world, The Quest Group, owner of AudioQuest cables, has purchased speaker maker GoldenEar Technology.

Now, a company that made its name exaggerating bass response specifications and synergistically join forces with a company that makes money claiming that HDMI cables can improve the quality of a video signal and that sells upgraded audiophile power cords that they claim—with a straight face—improves the sound of your system.

It's hard to predict what the future holds for GoldenEar. Its "value" as a brand rests on the fact many of its products are not sold through online channels. It'll be interesting to see if that remains the case after this acquisition.

Anyhow, enough of my opinions. I woke up for a midnight snack and saw this in my inbox... here's the official press release.

"For Immediate Release

January 2, 2020

GoldenEar Technology, manufacturer of some of the world’s highest value audiophile loudspeakers, and The Quest Group, best known as the owner of the AudioQuest brand of cables, Niagara power products, and DragonFly DACs, are very pleased to announce that GoldenEar has become part of The Quest Group, a California corporation wholly owned by AudioQuest founder and CEO Bill Low. Below is the letter that Sandy Gross sent out this morning to GoldenEar dealers and Export distributors:

I have some very exciting news to share with you: Our industry has seen a remarkable series of mergers and acquisitions over the past few years. Now I am pleased to announce that The Quest Group, the owner of AudioQuest, has acquired GoldenEar Technology. Owned by Bill Low, an ardent audiophile, The Quest Group, best known as the creator and supplier of the AudioQuest brand, has defined how a focus on audiophile performance can combine with market savvy and understanding, marketing excellence and operational excellence, to achieve exceptional business success. All of these positives mirror what GoldenEar is about, but with greater strength, resources, and capabilities.

Don Givogue, Bob Johnston, and I started GoldenEar ten years ago with the vision of creating an American classic: a strong, performance-oriented high-end audio company that would take a leading position on the world stage. We have created superb products that are unmatched in their combination of performance and value. Through our hard-hitting marketing, advertising, and fantastic reviews, we have become a well-established force in the loudspeaker marketplace. We have established a much-envied distribution network in North America through the best brick & mortar dealers. And in the international markets, with distributors in 35 countries, we have begun to establish an equally enviable worldwide presence.

When Don approached me several years ago to let me know that he wanted to retire, he tasked me with the challenge of finding the right business partner with which to join GoldenEar—one who understands who we are, what we do, and how we do it. The choice was clear: I have known Bill Low for almost 50 years, dating back to my first trip around the country to set up Polk distribution. Back then, Bill had a small high-end audio store in Portland, Oregon, and, as two fanatical audiophiles, we immediately hit it off and have been friends ever since. So, I enthusiastically approached Bill with the concept of bringing GoldenEar into The Quest Group, joining AudioQuest, and here we are today announcing that combination.

I very much want to continue with my lifelong work of creating great loudspeakers and bringing them to market. Don was the operational side of the business, and I believe that the operational strength within The Quest Group will be more than able to pick up the ball and charge ahead. I think that TQG’s capabilities will help us to create and structure an even more effective market presence, and, with their help and backing, I am confident that our sales team will grow and be able to offer even greater support to you, our dealers, distributors, and to your teams.

Internationally, from a logistical standpoint, The Quest Group is way ahead of anything that we have ever had. Their strong presence on the ground in Europe includes full warehousing and a growing sales-support structure. Their excellent Asia-Pacific team will help our current vendor interface team, as well as provide in-person sales support. Combined, these assets will be a tremendous help for GoldenEar and our distributors toward achieving growth and taking a much stronger international position. Our engineering team, strengthened by the addition of new head Benjamin Seaman, who has tremendous experience organizing and running effective engineering teams in the aerospace industry, remains in place and is busy working on new projects to help me achieve my product dreams. And our sales team of Dave Kakenmaster, Chris Volk, and Michael Grover are also in place and in gear. In addition, our in-house sales team of Anne Conaway and Mary Conaway are here and busy as always working with you and helping to make everything run smoothly and efficiently.

Of course, GoldenEar will continue to slowly and methodically pursue its own unique and independent distribution strategy. At present, about one hundred of GoldenEar’s approximately two hundred North American dealers are also AudioQuest dealers. Over time, more AudioQuest dealers might become GoldenEar dealers, though only when and where appropriate. Under no circumstances will GoldenEar become available to all AudioQuest dealers. Of course, AudioQuest is hoping that it might be appropriate for more of the GoldenEar dealer community to become AudioQuest dealers, but there is no mandate for either community to merge with the other.

I look forward to working together with you on this new chapter in the history, development, and success of GoldenEar.

Onward and Upward,
Sandy

Sandy Gross
President
GoldenEar Technology

Bill Low’s addendum:

I’m delighted to welcome GoldenEar into the heart of The Quest Group’s performance-oriented audio business.

Other than that, Sandy’s letter says it all—including the important fact that I am acquiring GoldenEar Technology because nothing is broken and nothing needs to be fixed. The businesses of GoldenEar and AudioQuest are simply complementary and compatible to a degree seldom seen when an investment business buys companies.

I have always been certain that I would only ever want to be involved with business activities that I initiated, from my stores in Portland, OR, and Santa Monica, on to AudioQuest cables, Niagara and PowerQuest power products, and the DragonFly series of portable DACs—but the opportunity to work with Sandy and share in the growth of GoldenEar is simply irresistible.

Everyone who knows Sandy has witnessed someone doing what he loves—I hope the same is obvious to those who know me. Sandy and I will now be practicing our favorite “pastime” under the same umbrella.

Sincerely,
Bill

William E. Low
CEO/Founder
The Quest Group
dba AudioQuest"
Classy. Not a good look for you man...

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #17 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Maybe s/he thought you meant General Electric. I hear they claim to "bring good things to life".
Depends on how old the "audio guru" is...

General Electric used to make audio stuff, boom boxes and the like but sold/traded with Thompson (French company) back in the late 80's. GE obtained CGR (radiology equipment) for their heathcare diviision and Thompson owned the GE name for consumer electronics.

Golden Ear was started by the marketing guy from Polk Audio (he made white lab coats cool!) Since audioquest is a marketing company and Golden Ear was started by a guy in marketing--I can see them both getting along quite well.

Looking forward to Golden Ear speakers with a door in the back to change batteries--for the biasing or whatever in the wire--or something. I wonder if there are any GE acoustics guys pondering to leave the company now that AQ owns them. You can bet that Samsung/Harmon HR people are not impressed with wire engineers so the GE guys might want to jump ship to avoid the oily stigma--should be fun to watch though! A marriage made in heaven like AOL/Time Warner? We shall see!
head_unit likes this.
post #18 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
Calling AQ cables or any other cable brand snake oil lends less credibility to the posters without explaining why from empirical experience. Spare me the scientific/engineering theory. Ours ears are what we use to listen and enjoy music and make comparison based on our own observation in our listening environment. I used to be a longtime naysayer until I had the available funds to experiment and decide for myself if the perceived improvement/difference I hear (all else stays the same except the change of cable) was enough to justify paying for them. In some cases, not, in others yes. Value is in the eye of the beholder. However, unless one has unlimited funds, I’m sure we all determine at a certain price range if it is worth to pay more for the incremental improvement or difference, or willing to venture beyond. In my 20 year journey, I’m at the point where changes in cables in my systems have made a marked improvement in sound quality. I will continue to pursue in this area. For the most part, I’m quite content with my components.
Uh... no. We're not skipping the science today.

I know exactly what a mess the discussion of cables has become on the internet. The debate on what's needed to properly make an audio comparison has gone down countless times and consumed countless hours. Personal preference wins most of the time, so enjoy your preference.

But reality is your testing methodology is subject to well understood biases.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-03-2020 at 04:08 PM.
post #19 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Holy crap!

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #20 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Classy. Not a good look for you man...
It's accurate, which is classy enough for me.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #21 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 12:13 PM

I'm surprised Disney didn't buy them. They own practically everything else.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #22 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Uh... no. We're not skipping the science today.

I know exactly what a mess the discussion of cables has become on the internet. The debate on what's needed to properly make an audio comparison has gone down countless times and consumed countless hours. Personal preference wins most of the time, so enjoy.
Exactly. As I am fond of saying, truth is in the eye of the beholder. I can tell you all day long that a better HDMI cable sends the same 1s and 0s to the video display as a budget version, but if you can see an improvement, then that's what counts to you. A so-called placebo effect is just as measurable as any other effect. And most of the time, we are talking about personal perception, which is inherently subjective. Science and engineering can provide "objective" measures, but numbers in an analysis don't equal perception for everyone.
post #23 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
The brand's value rests in an audiophile cachet built up over time with full-page ads in Stereophile...
"Stereophile, meet GoldenEar." Or maybe that should read "Golden Ears, meet GoldenEar." Truly a marriage made in heaven. With an advertising dowry, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Golden Ear was started by the marketing guy from Polk Audio (he made white lab coats cool!)
Polk likely was inspired by Meyer, who debuted on the tradeshow scene way back when JBL was part of Beatrice Foods with a booth full of laboratory test gear and a staff wearing white lab coats. I think when JBL saw that booth, they resolved to shed their Swiss Miss overlords in favor of something more scientific-y.
ahblaza and 18Hurts like this.
post #24 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I know exactly what a mess the discussion of cables has become on the internet. The debate on what's needed to properly make an audio comparison has gone down countless times and consumed countless hours.
Actually the debate predates the mainstream internet by almost two decades.
Muphasta likes this.
post #25 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 01:49 PM

And... will continue for a dozen decades more. Or more. And more......
Muphasta and mik2h like this.

post #26 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 02:27 PM

The debate will likely never end continue for some time but luckily any individual who claims they themselves can experience a difference can be shut down quickly with a properly conducted test.

I've done it myself but my wager was for only $10, not a million. I won.
Muphasta and Lp85253 like this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-03-2020 at 02:35 PM.
post #27 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 02:35 PM

As Jackie Gleason said:
"And away we go!"

post #28 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I own a whole bunch of GoldenEar speakers. I must say that I am quite happy with the performance, but nonetheless I always felt the claims on the bass in the tech specs were a bit questionable at best. It doesn't really bother all that much since most of my speakers are crossed over at 80hz. But yeah, it is a bit amusing. As far as AudioQuest goes, I'll never buy one so long as AmazonBasics and Monoprice HDMI cables are on the market. AudioQuest always felt a bit Bose-ish or Monster Cable-ish to me.
Dark Matter and Muphasta like this.
post #29 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
I own a whole bunch of GoldenEar speakers. I must say that I am quite happy with the performance, but nonetheless I always felt the claims on the bass in the tech specs were a bit questionable at best. It doesn't really bother all that much since most of my speakers are crossed over at 80hz. But yeah, it is a bit amusing. As far as AudioQuest goes, I'll never buy one so long as AmazonBasics and Monoprice HDMI cables are on the market. AudioQuest always felt a bit Bose-ish or Monster Cable-ish to me.
That’s exactly right. I have GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers in my system and even after reviewing dozens of other speakers, I’m perfectly happy with them. I always thought that it was unnecessary for GoldenEar to exaggerate the bass spec. However when I mentioned the discrepancy between measurements and specifications to Sandy Gross (in person) he just shrugged.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-03-2020 at 04:10 PM.
post #30 of 401 Old 01-03-2020, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Now, a company that made its name exaggerating bass response specifications and synergistically join forces with a company that makes money claiming that HDMI cables can improve the quality of a video signal and that sells upgraded audiophile power cords that they claim—with a straight face—improves the sound of your system.

It's hard to predict what the future holds for GoldenEar. Its "value" as a brand rests on the fact many of its products are not sold through online channels. It'll be interesting to see if that remains the case after this acquisition.

"For Immediate Release

January 2, 2020

Onward and Upward,
Sandy

Sandy Gross
President
GoldenEar Technology

Bill Low’s addendum:

Sincerely,
Bill

William E. Low
CEO/Founder
The Quest Group
dba AudioQuest"
Knowledge is power, so those who know stuff know to keep their distance.

Those who don't know stuff, the usual ignorant (of technical things) and gullible, will of course be sucked in by the advertising, hype and over-zealous claims of technical wizardry (alchemists are still trying to turn lead into gold, but they are getting their dues because they haven't read the warning labels about not handling lead) and so the company will probably survive, at least for a while.

And of course there are those who know stuff but indulge anyway, 'cause they like the look or the sound or drank too much before embarking on their shopping spree.
anthonymoody likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
audioquest , Goldenear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page