• 1 Post By m. zillch
  • 1 Post By ABuilder

post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2020, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Turntable Help?

I am new to all of this and have been setting up my first real system. I got a pair of Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend MK II speakers for our living room. I am wanting to set up a record player as my wife and I have received our parents old record collections and are both into classic rock/singer song writer music. Her dad gave us an old Technics SL-L20 turntable that he said would need a tune up. I am not sure if we are better of spending money to have the old turntable refurbished or if I should just go for something like a Pro-Ject Debut Carbo, U-Turn, or other new turntable. We do have a phono stage on our receiver. What would you recommend, refurbish the Technics SL-L20, refurbish something else vintage, or go for a new turntable. If you suggest a different turntable or a new turntable, please give me suggestions as this is all new to us. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4108
I'd suggest you stop thinking of it as "refurb or buy". Instead connect the old Technics and see how it goes.

Does it spin? Does the arm work? Does the needle stylus seem intact and play properly?

"Refurbishing" can be done easily by the owner if all it means is a new stylus (or the whole cartridge) and a new belt.
ABuilder likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-03-2020 at 02:57 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-03-2020, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Not sure of your budget but i would check with music direct. Usually have out of box or referb TT’s. Got my project 1 expression from them cpl years ago. For half if what a new one cost. Great CS aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ABuilder likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Just got the SL-L20 working again. I found that the belt was off and there was a spring in the way of the platter. I removed the spring and got the belt back on. It sounds okay, but I think the belt may be slipping some or something else is gong on. Sounds are getting run together and it just does not sound good. I think I may see if I can order a new belt online and see if that helps. It is fairly loose. Any ideas?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Belts are so inexpensive its worth buying a new one no matter what.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2020, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered a new belt for the turntable which should be here Tuesday. Hopefully I can get it back to running like new. The new belt was only $6, so why not give it a shot right? Anything else I should go over when the new belt gets here to make sure the turntable is at 100%?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2020, 01:08 PM

People sometimes dismiss the grundgy performance of a cartridge/stylus/turntable because they don't realize their stylus has vinyl residue caked on it. The thing is so small it is hard to notice by unaided eye. This contamination can occur from even a single play of some records so a quick cleaning before each play is in order.

Have you a stylus cleaner (even a cheap, simple brush variety should do) and a magnifying lens (or microscope) to examine it? [Always brush from the rear to front: never side to side nor front to back].

http://nooway.altervista.org/how-to-...-a-microscope/
ABuilder likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-05-2020 at 10:07 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-05-2020, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
People sometimes dismiss the grundgy performance of a cartridge/stylus/turntable because they don't realize their stylus has vinyl residue caked on it. The thing is so small it is hard to notice by unaided eye. This contamination can occur from even a single play of some records so cleaning before each play is in order.

Have you a stylus cleaner (even a cheap simple brush variety should do) and a magnifying lens (or microscope) to examine it? [Always brush from the rear to front: never side to side nor front to back].

http://nooway.altervista.org/how-to-...-a-microscope/

Thanks Zillch, I do not have a stylus cleaner and to be honest I did not know it needed to be done. I am going to order one, I bet this is contributing to the poor sound.
m. zillch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
record player , turntable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page