Beginner 2.x setup; am I on a reasonable track? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RiGoR
  • 1 Post By jagob

post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Beginner 2.x setup; am I on a reasonable track?

Hi all

Recently I scored a pair of ELAC UniFi UF5 floor standers from craigslist for $250 so I'm bulding a stereo setup for it by my living room.

I have no CD player, and no intention to acquire one, and all my music are either local FLAC files or streamed from Amazon HD or Tidal masters so for that I was looking for a setup with good network/streaming connectivity.

My listening room is a Living room/Kitchen open space at 18x24.

I'm leaning towards this setup:
Marantz NA6006 Music Player
Emotiva A-300 Power Amp

Is this a reasonable setup to drive the ELAC's? I'm open to other options and my budget is $1000 for amp+receiver.

Edit:
This setup is exclusive to music, I have a separated, dedicated room for HT.
As of now, I have no intention of adding a woofer, but who knows what the future holds.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by HazeT; 01-09-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Marantz and Emotiva you selected will definitely drive your new UF5's well. I have a similar listening space and am currently driving my UB5's with less power, and they are still very good. If you wanted a more frugal option that would still deliver good power and has all the streaming capabilities built in, look at the Denon x3500h. Audyssey XT32 version will also provide you some nice room correction as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X35.../dp/B07FMRD1RV

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGoR View Post
The Marantz and Emotiva you selected will definitely drive your new UF5's well. I have a similar listening space and am currently driving my UB5's with less power, and they are still very good. If you wanted a more frugal option that would still deliver good power and has all the streaming capabilities built in, look at the Denon x3500h. Audyssey XT32 version will also provide you some nice room correction as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X35.../dp/B07FMRD1RV

Thanks. I thought the general guidelines were to stay away from AVR's just because we may be getting a bunch of things that we don't need, so price wise, less went to what really matters.
I forgot to mention, this is an exclusively for music setup and more then likely will be run as 2.0 and not 2.1.

I do have that exact same receiver on my HT room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sure, for true stereo only setups you'll want to gravitate towards something that is not an AVR. But for more budget friendly situations, they'll generally still do pretty well.

HazeT likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 12:30 PM

Liked: 24
You're going to love the Uni-Fis and congrats on the new system. I believe your proposed setup will work just fine.

I have the Uni-Fi bookshelves with a NAD C 326BEE and they sound great.

You might be told the Uni-Fis need lots of power but that depends in part on room size, how loud you listen, the type of music you listen to, and how far away you sit. My man cave is 14 X 14 (yeah, I know square is not ideal but its what I have) and my main listening positioning is 8 feet from the speakers. I listen to mainly classical rock and some classical and I have never driven the Uni-Fis to the point where they have strained.

For the room you describe, your amp should be more than adequate.

FWIW, I have also had the Uni-Fis hooked up to a NAD C 275BEE amp (150 watts X 2) and I couldn't hear any difference from them being driven by the C 326BEE. Not a scientific test by any means and I'm not a "golden ear" by any stretch but those were my observations.
HazeT likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2884
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
I had looked at it earlier since it seems to be a very well regarded amp, but I don't think it can meet what I want for HD streaming from amazon/Tidal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page