Poll: Do you use "pure direct" on AVRs for 2-channel music? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: For 2-channel music on an AVR, do you use “pure direct” mode or DSP mode?
For 2-channel music, I use “pure direct” mode all the time 21 27.27%
For 2-channel music, I use DSP mode all the time 39 50.65%
For 2-channel music, I use both, but use “pure direct” most of the time 6 7.79%
For 2-channel music, I use both, but use DSP most of the time 3 3.90%
For 2-channel music, I use DSP and “pure direct” about equally 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #61 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
So I can show you either that the subwoofer company's higher level units don't even have speaker level inputs as an option, like this one.

Or to quote the manufacturer's owners manual or FAQ pages showing they consider the speaker level inputs lesser than the direct, RCA inputs. . . . Which particular Sunfire do you have?
I'm done with this discussion because it's off topic and farcical at this point. Why don't you use the time you would spend looking up all that stuff to actually experience something -- anything -- instead of issuing dictates on something you have no experience with. Experiment more, theorize less. Try stuff out and tell what you find. Your results don't have to agree with mine or anyone else's -- but to preach on a subject you have no experience with is, well, a lot of things I'm too polite to mention.

The Sunfire sub is an HRS-10 from the High Resolution Series. I bought it from day 1 with the sole intent of using it for music only and, according to my research at the time, it was the most musical offering from Sunfire that fit my tight space requirements. The Sunfire True EQ Subwoofer, which cost more than the one you listed, and nearly triple the HRS-10 price, had speaker-level inputs. The Sunfire SDS-10, which costs half of what the HRS-10 does, does not have speaker-level inputs. You are grasping at straws with irrelevant data and trying to weave a picture of horror in voltage step-down circuits that doesn't exist. Try stuff and tell us what you find.
Ratman and josh6113 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4108
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
The Sunfire sub is an HRS-10 from the High Resolution Series.
From the HRS-10 owner's manual, p14, showing the last of several possible hookup options, each including a diagram:

"Using the speaker-level inputs

If you are using a receiver which does not have a subwoofer output or line-level outputs (pre-outs), you can connect its speaker outputs to the subwoofer’s speaker-level inputs. . . . There is no need to use the speaker-level inputs if you are using a separate preamplifier/processor and a power amplifier. Such systems are best connected using the line-level inputs as shown in the previous diagrams." [bold text emphasis mine]

Looks like they know their stuff: line level is superior to speaker level. There is also a mention that speaker level connections can reduce "noise or hum", in some circumstances, which suggests to me it likely uses the common transformer coupling method for the built-in LOC, which has a perk that it can help eliminate ground loops for systems with poorly designed ground topology--like using multiple room outlets on different breakers--at the expense of frequency response errors (hopefully inaudibly low or at least easily correctable via room EQ).

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 09:21 AM.
post #63 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Some in this thread have stated that some versions of 'pure direct' are all analog. Having seen inside many AVRs and pre-pros and having many more service manuals, I wouldn't believe it unless I saw the schematic to confirm. This is irrespective of what members or manufacturers claim; the former usually don't understand and the latter are known to play hard and fast with the truth.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Some in this thread have stated that some versions of 'pure direct' are all analog. Having seen inside many AVRs and pre-pros and having many more service manuals, I wouldn't believe it unless I saw the schematic to confirm. This is irrespective of what members or manufacturers claim; the former usually don't understand and the latter are known to play hard and fast with the truth.
I've measured Pure Direct myself and there's strong evidence it really is pure analog (for analog stereo ins), although as I warned in an earlier post different brands, heck even different models within a brand may differ in what happens when selecting PD, including what happens for incoming digital signals vs. analog signals. Here are some of the changes when selecting PD for analog ins:

- the generation of the sub out signal evaporates into thin air. No sub for you!
- the filtration of the deep bass from speakers set to "small" similarly evaporates
- front channel L vs. R distance correction (digital delay) evaporates

All of the above could be confirmed by any hobbyist applying careful listening tests but there are additional things I have measured using instrumentation:

- the high frequency response is no longer capped by the digital processor's Nyquist frequency (half of the processor's sampling frequency) because the signal no longer gets digitized in the first place
- the latency, measured in microsecond/milliseconds, for the signal going into and then out of the AVR also plummets when the A-to-D and D-to-A circuitry is bypassed

Plus, can't you hear it?
Just a joke. Nobody can hear it but unfortunately the people who steadfastly refuse to use cognitive bias controls and precise level matching . . . .

P.S. I've never tested any brands other than Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha, by the way. So maybe Pioneer, Onkyo, etc. are completly different. I wouldn't know.
Out-Of-Phase likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-16-2020 at 08:51 AM.
post #65 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Much as I don't want to respond, it would be inappropriate to leave your falsities hanging ...

Quote:
There is also a mention that speaker level connections can reduce "noise or hum", in some circumstances, which tells me it is likely it uses the transformer coupling method for the built-in LOC, which has a perk that it can help eliminate ground loops for systems with poorly designed ground topology...
Preposterous. High-level (speaker-level) connections are inherently far more immune to picking up noise than low-level signals because they are high-level signals and it would take a lot of outside interference to affect them. Low-level signals are more prone to picking up noise because they are low-level signals and can easily be overwhelmed by outside noise. That is true no matter what is inside the circuit.

Quote:
... at the expense of frequency response errors (hopefully inaudibly low or at least easily correctable via room EQ).
Again stop making this ridiculous statement. Sunfire controls every aspect of the design internal to the subwoofer -- the amp, the step-down circuit, everything. It's ridiculous to say that there would be frequency errors in the filter and they wouldn't correct them in the design since every parameter is fixed and under their direct control. It's a ridiculous statement, and it's ten times more ridiculous considering that the maximum frequency that is relevant for a sub is about 200hz.

Quote:
From the HRS-10 owner's manual, p14, showing the last of several possible hookup options, each including a diagram:

"Using the speaker-level inputs

If you are using a receiver which does not have a subwoofer output or line-level outputs (pre-outs), you can connect its speaker outputs to the subwoofer’s speaker-level inputs. . . . There is no need to use the speaker-level inputs if you are using a separate preamplifier/processor and a power amplifier. Such systems are best connected using the line-level inputs as shown in the previous diagrams." [bold text emphasis mine] Looks like they know their stuff.
There is nothing in the manual suggesting there is any downside to speaker-level, and high-level is suggested when there is noise with low-level. You choose to educate yourself by reading stuff in owners manuals and then it becomes unchallengable gospel to you -- that's your right, but it is extremely ill-advised. I don't know of a single owners manual that I would use as anything more than a rough guideline at best. Also, you are highly selective in holding it as gospel, like your statement that manuals can't be trusted for their description of pure direct.

Just try stuff. If you try everything, you know what works and what doesn't. If you try nothing, you are forced to take the word of somebody else, which may not be accurate, or may be accurate in a test environment that has absolutely nothing to do with your own environment. Experience more, theorize less. Don't read the reviews and then preach to those who have actually seen the movie.
josh6113 likes this.

Last edited by pjp; 01-14-2020 at 08:23 PM.
post #66 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
- the high frequency response is no longer capped by the digital processor's Nyquist frequency (half of the processor's sampling frequency) because the signal no longer gets digitized in the first place
I discuss this in more detail, including links to a professional review, here. Confusingly Audyssey sampling is done at a lower rate (48kHz) than the main processor's rate itself, as per Denon/Marantz, not Audyssey, according to Chris Kyriakakis in an Audioholics interview.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-14-2020 at 10:51 PM.
post #67 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Preposterous. High-level (speaker-level) connections are inherently far more immune to picking up noise than low-level signals because they are high-level signals and it would take a lot of outside interference to affect them. .
And they themselves do zip for ground loop noise, a very common problem with subs.

Here's an example of one of these external LOC devices, BOSS B65N, which brags so much it eliminates ground loop noise, thanks to the transformers, it even puts "noise filter" into the product description (name) and the first Amazon reviewer confirms it really works:

This one similarly mentions it doubles as a "ground loop isolation device" or as some brands call them a "ground breaker/noise filter": https://www.amazon.com/DB-Link-HLC3-...8FBQJ491YTVD12
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss LOC and noise filter.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	2670162  

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-16-2020 at 08:54 AM.
post #68 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And they themselves do zip for ground loop noise, a very common problem with subs.

Here's an example of one of these external LOC devices, BOSS B65N, which brags so much it eliminates ground loop noise, thanks to the transformers, it even puts "noise filter" into the product description (name) and the first Amazon reviewer confirms it really works:

Ok, you get the last word. End of discussion.
Ratman likes this.
post #69 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
There is nothing in the manual suggesting there is any downside to speaker-level,.
Incorrect: without going into the picky details (which I personally understand from other sources and my training) they correctly say speaker level connections are not "best". Re-read what I quoted Sunfire as saying in the speaker level connection section of their manual, again, in bold text:

" Such systems are best connected using the line-level inputs as shown in the previous diagrams."

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 08:44 AM.
post #70 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Again stop making this ridiculous statement. Sunfire controls every aspect of the design internal to the subwoofer -- the amp, the step-down circuit, everything. It's ridiculous to say that there would be frequency errors in the filter and they wouldn't correct them in the design since every parameter is fixed and under their direct control. It's a ridiculous statement, and it's ten times more ridiculous considering that the maximum frequency that is relevant for a sub is about 200hz.
You don't seem to have a good understanding of the problem at hand. The problem is in the deep bass, not over "200Hz" as you mention, but under it. These LOC devices aren't typically reviewed by professional magazines but luckily some hobbyists now have the means to measure the problems themselves and they post their measurements. I read them. As I stated in an earlier post, short of using pricey Jensen transformers there is going to be some degree of bass problems but hopefully they will be small and inaudible. From another review of the Scosche clear-bodied LOC where you can actually see the tansformers, I posted a picture of earlier in the thread:

Active LOCs, instead of passive, are the best but most costly and they explain why:

" JL Audio's LoC-22 line output converter can take high-level amplified signals and step them down to the line level needed for your aftermarket amplifier and processor inputs. The onboard active electronic circuitry makes sure that even the most powerful signal's fidelity will remain intact with no loss of bass or added distortions — which happens with some passive line output converts." Source. I went with an AudioControl LOC because I was once a dealer, like their gear, they have good support, and they publish detailed specs. They are often used in competition level setups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scosche-LOC-80---bass-loss-measurements-due-to-affordable-transformers-Amazon-review.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	2670176  

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 09:11 AM.
post #71 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I voted no. My Yamaha receiver sets my mains to full range when I do that. They're flat down to about 25hz in my room, but because of where I have to place them for the best imaging/mids/highs, the bass has many dips and peaks. The only way to get an flat bass response across multiple seats is to cross them over at 100hz and let the subs handle the bass. That way I can place my subs around the room to optimize the response below 100hz and place my mains to optimize above 100hz. I don't think it's possible to use my 100hz crossover in "pure direct" with my receiver.
m. zillch likes this.

Last edited by richard12511; 01-14-2020 at 09:40 PM.
post #72 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

I keep trying to give you the last word, but then you keep making things up.

Quote:
Incorrect: without going into the picky details (which I personally understand from other sources and my training) they correctly say speaker level connections are not "best". Re-read what I quoted Sunfire as saying in the speaker level connection section of their manual, again, in bold text:

" Such systems are best connected using the line-level inputs as shown in the previous diagrams"
You are twisting words to fit your narrative. The word "best" has no context at all, it is almost certainly referring to simplest and most convenient because there is no reference anywhere in the manual to suggest any audio benefit of using line level. If there was an audio benefit to line-level, it would be explicitly stated. If there was a downside to speaker-level, it would be explicitly stated -- it would be irresponsible not to state that. Speaker-level connections are discussed several times in the manual and not once does it even remotely suggest there is any negative impact on audio quality for using speaker-level. The only statement in the manual making any reference to the "audio benefits" of either approach is the very pointed comment that speaker-level inputs are more immune to noise. Of course, Sunfire's statement runs counter to your overall argument that speaker-level inputs adds a lot of noise, distortion, hum, and hiss -- so I take it that part of the owners manual is not gospel to you (but your twisting of "best" should remain gospel).

Quote:
You don't seem to have a good understanding of the problem at hand. The problem is in the deep bass, not over "200Hz" as you mention, but under it.
Again, the "misunderstanding" you claim is a total fabrication. My comment was "the maximum frequency that is relevant for a sub is about 200hz". How you can twist that statement, which could not be more clearly referring to below 200Hz, as "over 200Hz"?????

Quote:
You don't seem to have a good understanding of the problem at hand. The problem is in the deep bass, not over "200Hz" as you mention, but under it. These LOC devices aren't typically reviewed by professional magazines but luckily some hobbyists now have the means to measure the problems themselves and they post their measurements. I read them. As I stated in an earlier post, short of using pricey Jensen transformers there is going to be some degree of bass problems but hopefully they will be small and inaudible. From another review of the Scosche clear-bodied LOC where you can actually see the tansformers, I posted a picture of earlier in the thread:

The entire allegation that an $800 subwoofer has identical components to a $9 device is delusional. The idea that Sunfire, a high-end respected brand, would use a transformer that is rated for an operational range 200hz-15Khz in a circuit whose key operating range is far below 200hz is delusional. However, the rated specs of that inappropriate transformer does explain why the specific device you picked as your "reference example" to prove the incompetence of all step-down circuits is a POS and should not be used as a reference for anything. The idea that a step-down circuit in an amplifier can't be flat when the manufacturer controls every aspect of the design and components is delusional. If there were any drawbacks to speaker-level whatsoever, let alone the massive frequency distortion you claim (citing a flawed $9 device as the "reference"), there would be "skull and crossbones" symbols in the owners manual any time speaker-level was mentioned -- instead there isn't even the slightest hint of audio compromise when using speaker-level connections.

I want to end this discussion. I'm very sure everyone else in the thread wants that as well. I keep trying to give you the last word, but I can't leave lies and fabrications hanging.

Last edited by pjp; 01-15-2020 at 09:37 AM.
post #73 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Of course, Sunfire's statement runs counter to your overall argument that speaker-level inputs adds a lot of noise, distortion, hum, and hiss --
False. I never wrote "lots", in fact I pointed out that hopefully it is at an inaudible level.
pjp likes this.
post #74 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
False. I never wrote "lots", in fact I pointed out that hopefully it is at an inaudible level.

Very fair comment -- strike "lots" from my post as that was an inflated representation of your general commentary regarding speaker-level.
post #75 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Again, the "misunderstanding" you claim is a total fabrication. My comment was "the maximum frequency that is relevant for a sub is about 200hz". How you can twist that statement, which could not be more clearly referring to below 200Hz, as "over 200Hz"?????
Quote:
It's a ridiculous statement, and it's ten times more ridiculous considering that the maximum frequency that is relevant for a sub is about 200hz.
And indeed that under 200Hz region is what is often altered by using affordable, non-Jensen quality transformers in LOCs so the output of the subwoofer is where the frequency response deviation occurs.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 10:10 AM.
post #76 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
If there were any drawbacks to speaker-level whatsoever, let alone the massive frequency distortion you claim (citing a flawed $9 device as the "reference"),
I never used the word "massive", in fact I mentioned that (hopefully) it will be inaudible or at least easily corrected with room EQ.

As I mentioned, these circuits never get reviewed in magazines so I can only show you rare hobbyist measurements I can find, and not everyone owns an appropriate analyzer. Except for Jensen I have never seen one (passive) with a dead flat frequency response and Jensen cost $230. A company making an $800-ish sub like your Sunfire can't afford to include that (even though the raw parts cost less) especially considering that not everyone even uses the speaker level inputs. Most use the line level inputs if they are available because that is what Sunfire and nearly everyone else [exception: REL] recommends using when asked.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 10:51 AM.
post #77 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 10:24 AM

"8. Speaker Level Inputs

Under normal conditions, the preferred connection is through the line level inputs. If this is difficult or not possible in your system, then you can use the speaker level inputs. "

[bold text emphasis mine]

- SUNFIRE True Subwoofer User Manual p.7

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 10:37 AM.
post #78 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And indeed that under 200Hz region is what is often altered by using affordable, non-Jensen quality transformers in LOCs so the output of the subwoofer is where the frequency response deviation occurs.
How does this response address at all address that fact that you fabricated a claimed misunderstanding on my part by twisting my comment to the opposite of what I said??? You ignore your fabrication, then claim significant altering of the signal absent Jensen (which you later claim you aren't claiming)

Quote:
IAs I mentioned, these circuits never get reviewed in magazines so I can only show you rare hobbyist measurements I can find, and not everyone owns an appropriate analyzer.
Total BS. There is no benefit in testing the step-down circuit in isolation. That would be the stupidest thing possible because you would have to disassemble the subwoofer to test it, and it means nothing to test that circuit in isolation, ignoring the rest of the circuitry and amp that works in conjunction with it. The only meaningful test would be to evaluate how the entire subwoofer performs with speaker-level, which requires no special equipment at all -- none -- you would simply repeat tests with speaker level and compare the results to the line level tests you already have. If inaccuracies on speaker-level inputs were the universal issue you claim it is, then every professional test would absolutely evaluate speaker-level performance alongside line-level to assess the inaccuracy of the step-down circuit for each subwoofer. Wow and flutter is a "thing" with tape decks and they measure it in every test precisely because it's a thing. The reason nobody tests speaker-level accuracy is because the inaccuracies you claim as universal are not a thing.

Quote:
IExcept for Jensen I have never seen one (passive) with a dead flat frequency response and Jensen cost $230. A company making an $800-ish sub like your Sunfire can't afford to include that (even though the raw parts cost less) especially considering that not everyone even uses the speaker level inputs.
How do you even know the circuit is passive? Car stereo converters are passive because that makes them affordable and trivially easy to insert into the speaker wires without needing run a wiring to tap into a 12v power supply. All powered subwoofers have a high quality power supply that can be tapped into if it needs it. Oh, I forget, all "active" stuff generates noise (from your prior comment). I don't know what they use internally, nor do I care, if there were universal accuracy issues with speaker-level inputs, it would be a standard test in every review to measure the error.

Quote:
I never used the word "massive", in fact I mentioned that (hopefully) it will be inaudible or at least easily corrected with room EQ.
Yes, you did, repeatedly. You said that the noise reduction benefit by Sunfire told you they are using the same circuit as the $9 LOC (which is a ridiculous inference), you said the $9 is horrendously inaccurate. You constantly draw parallels between the two, and you claim that nothing short of Jensen can be accurate and sub manufacturers can't afford Jensen. You quote massive inaccuracies in what you claim is the same circuit from an Amazon review. Everything you've said stated, repeatedly, says the inaccuracies of these types of circuits is horrible -- then you CYA by adding "hopefully it will be inaudible or at least easily corrected with room EQ" (of course, the latter part of that also suggests significant inaccuracies). That is a tabloid representation of "technology" (<- quotes intended). Your argument (paraphrased) is "They're all horribly flawed, nothing less then Jensen will not suck, but hopefully it will be inaudible". Sorry, your CYA "inaudible" mention doesn't cancel out your entire argument that they are significantly inaccurate.

With that, I'm done with the discussion. Feel free to make stuff up when I give you the last word.
josh6113 likes this.
post #79 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
How does this response address at all address that fact that you fabricated a claimed misunderstanding on my part by twisting my comment to the opposite of what I said??? You ignore your fabrication, then claim significant altering of the signal absent Jensen (which you later claim you aren't claiming).
I have not fabricated anything and I resent the accusation.

Find me any passive LOC using transformers, other than Jensen, with a measured, dead flat response and I will be glad to look at it.
post #80 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 2320
Quote:
We are way too far off topic (should have listened to Ratman!). I'll indulge you with one response.
Quote:
I'm done with this discussion because it's off topic and farcical at this point.
Quote:
Much as I don't want to respond, it would be inappropriate to leave your falsities hanging ....
Quote:
Ok, you get the last word. End of discussion.
Quote:
I keep trying to give you the last word, but then you keep making things up.

I want to end this discussion. I'm very sure everyone else in the thread wants that as well. I keep trying to give you the last word, but I can't leave lies and fabrications hanging..
Quote:
With that, I'm done with the discussion. Feel free to make stuff up when I give you the last word.

Are you sure?
pjp, m. zillch and Out-Of-Phase like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #81 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Total BS. There is no benefit in testing the step-down circuit in isolation.
I disagree.

Just like we might measure the individual parts of an AVR:

-preamp
-DAC
-ADC
-processor
-EQ
-decoders
-video circuits
-amps

We also might theoretically have interest in testing the individual parts of a self-amplified sub, not that I'm claiming that's always easily undertaken nor is commonly done.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 12:30 PM.
post #82 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
How do you even know the circuit is passive? Car stereo converters are passive because that makes them affordable and trivially easy to insert into the speaker wires without needing run a wiring to tap into a 12v power supply. All powered subwoofers have a high quality power supply that can be tapped into if it needs it. Oh, I forget, all "active" stuff generates noise (from your prior comment). I don't know what they use internally, nor do I care, if there were universal accuracy issues with speaker-level inputs, it would be a standard test in every review to measure the error.
So your proof the free LOC we get built in to powered subs is essentially, for lack of a better word I'll use "flawless" [no noise/distortuion is introduced and no frequency response deviations occur] is because we never see professional reviews assessing them? I disagree. [Also the deviation that they cause is likely swamped by the frequency response deviations of the woofer cone itself and if they use an active system [possible] the added distortion and hiss is probably in the ballpark of the main amp itself [usually very, very low].

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 12:31 PM.
post #83 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM

You understand all professional review measurements of subs use line level ins, never speaker level, right? [possible exception: REL, although they don't always say]
post #84 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think I need to ask a very dumb question since I'm not able to follow the super technical dispute above:

When playing records using Yamaha AVR(780) as preamp for my separate amp, the display shows "Analog" (not in Pure Direct when everything goes dark).
Does this mean the signal remains analog and is passed out to the amp as such, or is it simply recognizing the analog source signal, which is then digitized and sent to the amp?

just curious
post #85 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have not fabricated anything and I resent the accusation.
I'm done, but can't leave you resentful. The quote below is the fabrication.

Quote:
You don't seem to have a good understanding of the problem at hand. The problem is in the deep bass, not over "200Hz" as you mention, but under it.
You comments specifically -- "You don't seem to have a good understanding". "The problem is in the deep bass, not over 200hz, as you mention, but under it". That is the fabrication.

The quote below is what I actually said:

Quote:
It's a ridiculous statement, and it's ten times more ridiculous considering that the maximum frequency that is relevant for a sub is about 200hz.

I am clearly not talking about "over 200hz" as you claim, I am unambiguously talking about under 200hz. I state that 200hz is the maximum. There is no other way to interpret what I said, yet you claim the opposite of what I said to fabricate a misunderstanding on my part. If your twisting of my words to the opposite meaning was just an error, then you would have corrected that error since I've pointed it out twice, so I'm forced to say think it was intentional. Never too late to apologize though.
post #86 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Are you sure?

Why the hell would you think I"m not done? Jeez.
post #87 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Everything you've said stated, repeatedly, says the inaccuracies of these types of circuits is horrible . . . Your argument (paraphrased) is "They're all horribly flawed, nothing less then Jensen will not suck, but hopefully it will be inaudible".
"Horribly flawed"? Yet more material I never said.
---

The (possible) degradation introduced by the free LOC built in to powered subs is very low on my list of reasons why I never use speaker level ins when possible.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-16-2020 at 09:00 AM.
post #88 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 2320
Quote:
Why the hell would you think I"m not done? Jeez.
I was hopeful.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #89 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
I was hopeful.

Not nearly as hopeful as I was
post #90 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post
I think I need to ask a very dumb question since I'm not able to follow the super technical dispute above:

When playing records using Yamaha AVR(780) as preamp for my separate amp, the display shows "Analog" (not in Pure Direct when everything goes dark).
Does this mean the signal remains analog
It means the incoming signal is analog. If you apply digital stuff is entirely up to you. [You probaly have an "Info" button to change that display to other info if you choose, BTW.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page