2-Channel Home Theater Bypass weekend project - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
2-Channel Home Theater Bypass weekend project

The post - Poll: Do you use "pure direct" on AVRs for 2-channel music? motivated me to build a 2-channel music system I had planned for many years but could never find an appropriate room to put it in and if I did, my wife nixed the idea.

This weekend I decided to re-purpose and rearrange some equipment I’ve had for some time in Theater B, our Bonus Room and exercise room. I've had the Bryston equipment for 19 years. When I upgraded the Projector in my main Basement Theater, I couldn’t sell my old one for enough to make it worthwhile. The value drops so fast I just kept it and hooked it up in the Bonus Room/Exercise Room. Nice distraction when on the treadmill or bike trainer.

I use my favorite Vision Signature Speakers, a DIY Kit by North Creek Music, in a 7.2 configuration and they had been powered by a Denon AVR-4520CI with a Bryston 4BST powering the sub-woofers. I built the sub-woofers as well.

To build a 2-channel system in the same room I added my Oppo HA-1 Headphone Amplifier that is also a pre-amplifier. It has a Home Theater Bypass mode I've been wanting to test. I replaced the Bryston 4BST with an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 to power the Home Theater Subs and re-purposed the Bryston 4BST to drive the F/R F/L main speakers.

I also added a Bryston 7BST to power an additional subwoofer, the ScanSpeak 23W with Passive Radiator. My mains aren’t really designed to perform below 70 HZ so I am also using a Bryston 10B Sub crossover in a 2.1 configuration. I lose any previous bass management the Denon provided in by-pass mode. I am going to try a High Pass at 80 Hz with a 6db slope and low pass at 80 with an 18db slope to start.

I can now use the Oppo HA-1 as a stand alone pre-amp while not turning the Denon on for 2-channel listening. For movies I use the Denon and can still use the F/R, F/L speakers. Obvious to those familiar with Home Theater Bypass but in this mode, the Oppo is also turned on and simply passes the signal through the HA-1 to the amps via the Denon F/R F/L pre-out's and the Denon controls the volume. Best of both worlds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonus_Room_Left_Front_1000p.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	2669458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonus_Room_Equipment_Rack_1000p.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	2669460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_Speak_23W_7262_72pi.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	2669462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_Speak_23W_7243_72pi.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	2669464  

Last edited by GeorgeHolland; 01-13-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 5250
Thumbs up

I use my Bryston 2.5 SST2 as my HT pass through. I connect the balanced outputs to my Krell showcase preamp for movies and RCA connections to my Luxman CL38U-SE preamp for music. Just flip the switch on the back of the Bryston amp. Very easy.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I use my Bryston 2.5 SST2 as my HT pass through. I connect the balanced outputs to my Krell showcase preamp for movies and RCA connections to my Luxman CL38U-SE pre-amp for music. Just flip the switch on the back of the Bryston amp. Very easy.
There was a time I ran a Bryston BP26 preamp with the 10B Sub crossover, the 4B ST for mains and the 7B ST for the sub-woofer. Nice little 2.1 setup. Then multi-channel became important and I sold the BP26 and bought an SP2 and a 6B SST. Then with HDMI and other developments I sold the SP2 and bought an Onkyo PR-SC5508 for my main theater.

I’m tempted to find a used BP26, maybe even an SP2 and use it strictly as a pre-amp but if sharing a room with home theater, will want something with home theater bypass. I can always use the Oppo, it's not bad. I don’t use the secondary room enough to spring for top end gear and the Oppo has been unused since I removed it from my office computer system. I am working on my wife to refinish my Vision Signatures in an ebony stain and move them to the family room where we spend most our time. If that happens, I may look for another pre-amp.

I’m sure the Krell/Luxman combo sounds amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page