What artist/album/song made you an “audiophile”? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #61 of 63 Old 05-11-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 967
I don't think I can say exactly what "made me" an "audiophile".... I grew up with music, my parents (mostly my dad) had a reasonable collection. But, they were both very genre constrained. My dad "hated" most of what I wanted to listen to, it was "all crap". My mom liked Madonna and Tiffany...there was no introducing her to hair metal, lol.

Honestly, I don't think I really expanded on my musical tastes until joining this forum. I was always less genre specific than my parents, though. I listened to a lot of their music along with everything my friends introduced me to. I can remember when the movie Encino Man came out, there was a song (I think the Steve Vai track) and as (stupid) young kids I would put on headphones and see how loud I could crank it and then test how long each of my friends "could handle it"...yeah...we weren't too bright.

Then I went through my car audio phase. I competed in IASCA competitions both in Sound Quality and SPL, but focused on SQ. This opened me up to all sorts of demo discs and "well mixed" music. I still remember the demo track, Junior Wells "Use Me" and really enjoyed how that presented in my car. Unfortunately, between my cars and concerts, I probably damaged so many cilia during this "era" that I ruined my audiophile abilities for the rest of my life. Fortunately, I still hear pretty well, but there is some growing tinnitus and a low frequency hum that comes and goes -- both suck. I'm sure it isn't going to get better, so, now I'm trying to enjoy all I can at "responsible" levels.

Regardless, much of the musical selection rotated through my gear goes through a pretty simple test: "does it make me want to move?" If so, it stays on...if not, and I can't find anything else "redeeming", I change it. I love bouncing around and dancing, so if it gets my restless legs going I'm happy, lol. I also enjoy focusing on lots of texture and details...or just tons of bass!

Thanks for many of the suggestions in the thread! I've listened to quite a few things I've never heard and enjoyed them! A few I've found quite fun that were new to me:

@peniku8 - that The Algorithm track got my hair moving! Nice!
@goodkat - the Abel Korzeniowski track was pretty; Yaz was some nice '80s fun! And the London Grammar track was a nice modern track I should've probably heard by now.
@SuperFist & @lefthandluke - will need to check out more Bob James, lots of texture in those pieces.
lefthandluke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 05-11-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey B View Post
Can't say exactly what started it but recently I've really enjoyed Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints. Can't Run But is one of my go to test tracks. Super Session is good too. Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills. Has a good era sound.
"Alberts Shuffle" is a great track off Super Sessions...and I'm with you on Simon. I've been crankin So Beautiful or So What lately.
Smokey B likes this.

at the zenith of his nadir...
post #63 of 63 Old 05-12-2020, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick
Steve Winwood - Higher Love
Swing Out Sister - Breakout
rhale64L7 likes this.
Sponsored Links