Upgrading System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgrading System

I recently upgraded my turntable to a VPI Cliffwood and will be looking to upgrade the rest of my system over the next year. I currently have a Marantz 5005 integrated amp and Klipsch R6201 speakers which are also part of my surround system.

Q1. I was originally thinking about getting an integrated tube amp like a rogue magnum iii. Is that really the best use of $3000?

Q2. Would a solid state/hybrid pre and power amp yield better results?

Q3. Recommendations for pre and power? This is a whole new world for me.

Q4. I was thinking of maybe spending around $1000 on some new bookshelf speakers. Is that going to be an upgrade over cheaper tower speakers? These also have to be used in my surround setup

Q5. Speaker recommendations?

I typically listen to jazz, blues and classic rock.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I recommend buying a used pair of speakers for $1000, read post #4 in this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...-under-1k.html

Speakers are the most important part of the system, you want to stretch your money and a used pair is the best bet. I just received my used pair of speakers I bought, even for much higher end, I still buy used. It work out really well.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Focal Alto Utopia and Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-06-2020, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Canton Vento's offer a very nice titanium tweeter. Would definitely be worth it for the price.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2020, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Creasey View Post
I recently upgraded my turntable to a VPI Cliffwood and will be looking to upgrade the rest of my system over the next year. I currently have a Marantz 5005 integrated amp and Klipsch R6201 speakers which are also part of my surround system.

Q1. I was originally thinking about getting an integrated tube amp like a rogue magnum iii. Is that really the best use of $3000?

Q2. Would a solid state/hybrid pre and power amp yield better results?

Q3. Recommendations for pre and power? This is a whole new world for me.

Q4. I was thinking of maybe spending around $1000 on some new bookshelf speakers. Is that going to be an upgrade over cheaper tower speakers? These also have to be used in my surround setup

Q5. Speaker recommendations?

I typically listen to jazz, blues and classic rock.

Thanks in advance.
Best use of three thousand bucks would be to stretch the speaker budget to 2000 or even the whole 3000 and save up later for a better integrated. Upgrading speakers will give you the most sonic bang for the buck. I don't hear a sub mentioned so I'd go with a speaker with a low frequency response. The Canton's mentioned say they go to 27hz, which I find a bit circumspect. Ascendacoustics has the Sierra 2EX which has a -3db point of 38 hz. I'm a fan of their speakers. The 2ex uses a raal ribbon tweeter and a Seas woofer, along with a bamboo cabinet.

3000 bucks would get you in the range of a Salk speaker, Songtower about 2200 or song tower with raal ribbon for about 2900. I have the supercharged song tower and have never been happier with my speaker choice. Ascend also makes a nice tower, but Salk surpasses them, the down side is you have to wait for him to build them, everything with salk is a custom build, but occasionally he'll have one or two on hand to sell. Most of these are towers, so unless you have a place to set the bookshelf speakers you'll need stands, so maybe just go with a tower.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 04-07-2020 at 02:13 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Here is a nice write up on the Canton Vento. Owner has had Focal Twin Be and Philharmonic BMR's with RAAL. A great speaker for the price is the main attraction. You'd have to spend quite a bit more to equal or get just a bit better.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...600-pr.117317/
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2020, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Agree with spending more on speakers or buying used. You spent $1000.00 on a turntable, buy speakers that retail for at least $1500.00. Look at those recommended here or Elac. The latest edition of The Absolute Sound magazine tests a number of bookshelf speakers in your price range.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page