Garage music setup recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By citizen arcane
  • 1 Post By andrewmr
  • 1 Post By DanPackMan
  • 1 Post By Quickster2
  • 1 Post By philpoe

post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Garage music setup recommendations

I’m trying to upgrade my current garage sound system to something better. Currently I’m using an old 5.1 system that I have mounted on my wall all in one spot. The speakers are too small to separate. The garage is 34x24 with 12 foot ceilings. Insulated and heated. Budget is around $1000. More is ok, less is better. It’s just a garage.

I would like to have a speaker in each corner and avoid a subwoofer if possible. I do like bass heavy music, but don’t need this to be booming and bother my neighbors. If I do run a sub, I’d like a sealed unit. I live on a small farm and they’re critters that sometimes get into the garage. This will be for 95% music and 5% tv.

I was looking at four BIC DV62si speakers and a Onkyo 8260 receiver. The speakers get good reviews, but don’t sound like they have much bass. I spoke to Crutchfield and they recommended four Definitive Technology AW6500 speakers and a Cambridge Audio AXR100 which came out to $1,355.

I don’t really need a bunch of fancy features. Bluetooth or WiFi audio would be nice, but I can plug my phone in.

I have a Sonos system in my house and really enjoy that, but I need auxiliary inputs in the shop for the tv and xm. We have really bad internet, so fm radio and xm radio are nice to have in the shop. Plus the Sonos is pricey for what you get. It works well for my wife and guests.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 22924
I'd buy the RTR Eviction Series EV15 and whatever features you're looking for in a receiver or avr.
18Hurts likes this.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

Last edited by citizen arcane; 04-20-2020 at 12:26 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm running an old Onkyo Pro receiver into a pair of Vandersteen 1's. These have to date back 25 years or so, but still sound very good. My setup is in the barn/garage and I can hear it anywhere on the property (five acres), except the far back corner. As it is a barn, I keep a few mouse traps out to keep critters out of the cars, and bikes and have to think it helps with the electronics as well.

It sounds like you already have a receiver and you can find these speakers used on craigslist for a couple of hundred bucks. If you need to replace your receiver then you'll have a decision to make. New stuff will have you spending money on stuff you will not need in the garage so going used may be an option there as well.

Good luck.....
wassup likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
My garage setup is an old Onkyo M5000 stereo amp with a Chromecast Audio input and a pair old used large floorstanding speakers I stuck up in the corners.
wassup likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-24-2020, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have a Denon PMA-980R & Klipsch KG 5.2's that I got for $35 at a garage sale. I added a Technics CD & Tuner separates I already had. Just this year I added Klipsch Reference All Weather AW-650 speakers under the eves. I can rock almost all of my 10 acres with high quality sound . Looking for a pair of KG 5.5's now.
wassup likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-26-2020, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Those DefTech would work well...I have two outside and they’re clear, full, and crank loudly. Just be careful on placement, as the low end can get a little bloated if too close to the corners. If off the corner a bit, they’re still sound more full than some other outside speakers

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs

Last edited by Spectah; 04-26-2020 at 10:16 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-29-2020, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 422
classix II's all day long. They are my new favorites, and I cant be crazy if everyone likes them lol.

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 x jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2020, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 51
used will take you a long way ... but if I was gonna go new in your scenario, I would try those Monoprice 15 inch powered enclosures. You could get a new pair for about $300 last I checked and some guys are upgrading them. They are plastic so aliens don't eat them, they only go for the best - wood veneer and solid mdf. Well, the aliens I have encountered.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-13-2020, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Please help me understand how you're using the 5.1 system. Is that an AV receiver that you can replace the speakers on? Are you currently using 2 small speakers, or 4? Is there any reason why you couldn't re-use that existing receiver if you can get the features you want?
Are you limited to bookshelf speakers, or are floorstanding towers an option? Do the speakers need to be sealed like the sub, or can they be ported?
When you say that you have really bad internet, is that the entire house, or poor wifi to the garage?

So 4 speakers (sealed?), an amplifier to drive them, a sealed sub if necessary. Bluetooth, wifi and/or USB connectivity for your phone.
I'm making the assumptions that the current 5.1 receiver is fine except for wireless connectivity, and that bad internet means poor wifi connectivity to the garage, but the rest of the house is fine.

Keep the AV receiver. If for some reason it needs to go, get the cheapest stereo receiver that can run 2 pairs of speakers. If new, you could get a Yamaha, Sony or Insignia (looks Sony made) stereo receiver at BB.
You can probably find used stuff that's equivalent. You just need to make sure that the receiver has enough inputs for everything you run already plus 1 more stereo input available.

To get better wifi and ethernet to the garage, get a powerline/homeplug kit to extend the house network to the garage. There are several models on Amazon from $60 and up.
TP-Link AV600 (TL-WPA4220 KIT) is an example.

Add a streaming device to to the receiver. A used Sonos Connect can be found on ebay, craigslist, fb marketplace, etc, integrating the garage with the house system. They seem to go for $140 and up.
If you don't like that price point, add an inexpensive (<$50) wifi streamer to the receiver. One of these may do the job:
Phorus PR5 - WiFi only, but can add a USB-based ethernet port. It basically adds much of, if not all the Play-Fi functionality that the Onkyo receiver has built-in to any receiver via analog input (which is why you needed 1 more free).
Dayton Audio WBA31 - WiFi or etherenet. It uses a different ecosystem, but it works the same way as the others. Available at Parts Express.

Both of these devices are also AirPlay compatible. The Sonos system in the house may have gotten firmware upgrades to make them AirPlay/AirPlay2 compatible.

For speakers, try 2 pairs of Yamaha NS-6490. They are large, sealed (so no critters), 8ohm impedance (so easy to drive with an amp), and have a relatively high sensitivity, consistent with their reputation to play loud.
They are inexpensive (their build reflects the price), but no real complaints about audio quality, and they play fairly low.
Check out some youtube reviews of them (just search 'Yamaha NS-6490')

Since they are pretty big with an 8" driver that makes it relatively easy to reach inside, there have been several modifications that have made the rounds to improve them if interested.
They're available via Prime if you want to try them with a relatively hassle-free return if needed.

If you make the 5.1 receiver work, get better internet to the garage, add a Phorus, get 2 pairs of Yamahas, that's about $350, leaving a lot of room for a sub if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaneumann View Post
I’m trying to upgrade my current garage sound system to something better. Currently I’m using an old 5.1 system that I have mounted on my wall all in one spot. The speakers are too small to separate. The garage is 34x24 with 12 foot ceilings. Insulated and heated. Budget is around $1000. More is ok, less is better. It’s just a garage.

I would like to have a speaker in each corner and avoid a subwoofer if possible. I do like bass heavy music, but don’t need this to be booming and bother my neighbors. If I do run a sub, I’d like a sealed unit. I live on a small farm and they’re critters that sometimes get into the garage. This will be for 95% music and 5% tv.

I was looking at four BIC DV62si speakers and a Onkyo 8260 receiver. The speakers get good reviews, but don’t sound like they have much bass. I spoke to Crutchfield and they recommended four Definitive Technology AW6500 speakers and a Cambridge Audio AXR100 which came out to $1,355.

I don’t really need a bunch of fancy features. Bluetooth or WiFi audio would be nice, but I can plug my phone in.

I have a Sonos system in my house and really enjoy that, but I need auxiliary inputs in the shop for the tv and xm. We have really bad internet, so fm radio and xm radio are nice to have in the shop. Plus the Sonos is pricey for what you get. It works well for my wife and guests.

Thanks for any suggestions!
wassup likes this.

Last edited by philpoe; 05-13-2020 at 07:00 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-16-2020, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 520
This setup would get you excellent sound and good low end out of the towers.

https://pricedrightsales.com/product...nter-channel-1
post #11 of 11 Old 05-19-2020, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Looks like the DCM speakers are pretty much sold out.

Infinity is having a awesome sale you could check out. Would be great for a garage.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14060573-in...?src=frontpage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page