• 1 Post By J Devil 666

post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 887
asking for turntable advice

Probably going to swap out my Stanton T.62, but have some options I want figure out before pulling any kind of trigger.

For new, I am seriously considering the Fluance RT85, I think I am dead set on that. However, I'm also taking a peek at some more vintage models on CAM - some that have peaked my interest are:

Marantz 6200 - this one is in mint condition
Sansui SR-2050C - looks to be in mint/near mint
Micro Seiki Solid 5 - mint/near mint, but it does not have the OG headshell
Elac Miracord 50H - looks near mint/mint
Dual 1229 - mint/near mint
Rega Planar 2 - not sure of the year, but it has a walnut plinth, and looks in near mint condition

Would any of those vintage TTs listed above outclass the Fluance? What would your don't-pay-more-than price be for any of those? I'm not sure on market value, and some items on CAM could be priced well above what they should be valued.

Thanks in advance.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch | TBA: KEF Q750 Front L/R

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2020, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Probably going to swap out my Stanton T.62, but have some options I want figure out before pulling any kind of trigger.

For new, I am seriously considering the Fluance RT85, I think I am dead set on that. However, I'm also taking a peek at some more vintage models on CAM - some that have peaked my interest are:

Marantz 6200 - this one is in mint condition
Sansui SR-2050C - looks to be in mint/near mint
Micro Seiki Solid 5 - mint/near mint, but it does not have the OG headshell
Elac Miracord 50H - looks near mint/mint
Dual 1229 - mint/near mint
Rega Planar 2 - not sure of the year, but it has a walnut plinth, and looks in near mint condition

Would any of those vintage TTs listed above outclass the Fluance? What would your don't-pay-more-than price be for any of those? I'm not sure on market value, and some items on CAM could be priced well above what they should be valued.

Thanks in advance.
That Micro Seiki Solid 5 just looks beautiful you may be able to find OG Headshell online somewhere. Outclass the RT85? That may be subjective. (Vintage/Modern). Hopefully you can any of those listed above for under $500

State of Confusion
post #3 of 11 Old 05-17-2020, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ryan,

Some nice options you're looking at-- aesthetically, would have a hard time passing on the Micro Seiki or Marantz (assuming it's the belt-drive version with composite wood plinth) on the list, but the Dual is right in there as well with Rega and Sansui next.

If you haven't already found the VinylEngine website it's a good resource for info, whether searching via the 'library' or 'database' or seeing what can be found in their forum.

Assuming you saw, and passed, on the Music Hall 5.1 ($450CAN) or Technics SL-23 ($250CAN) that I'm currently seeing on the CAM site (note: I'm looking at the 10 CAM options that pop up via USAudioMart)?

Did this debate with myself not too long ago (Fluance RT84/85 vs used market) and ended up with Technics SL-M2, then picked up a cheap Technics SL-BD22K while I had the other one serviced (it worked fine, I just wanted to 'know' it had been serviced). Also, the more I read the more I didn't like choices made in the Fluance build- there's a reason they can put a $200 cartridge on a new $500 table. Although I sure do like it's looks!

Anyway, this is longer than intended...good luck in your search.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-17-2020, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Devil 666 View Post
That Micro Seiki Solid 5 just looks beautiful you may be able to find OG Headshell online somewhere. Outclass the RT85? That may be subjective. (Vintage/Modern). Hopefully you can any of those listed above for under $500
the Micro Seiki Solid 5 is listed at $450. but I suspect largely because of the non-stock headshell.
The Elac is $200
The Sansui is $350
The Dual 1229 is $350
The vintage Rega is $695
The Marantz 6200 is $680

They all look in excellent condition, but outside might not reflect its state of functionality. I'm perfectly fine to forego the used market, I just saw these and I kind of like the thought of having a more vintage piece of gear in a TT.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch | TBA: KEF Q750 Front L/R

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 05-17-2020 at 12:56 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-17-2020, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regsharp View Post
Ryan,

Some nice options you're looking at-- aesthetically, would have a hard time passing on the Micro Seiki or Marantz (assuming it's the belt-drive version with composite wood plinth) on the list, but the Dual is right in there as well with Rega and Sansui next.

If you haven't already found the VinylEngine website it's a good resource for info, whether searching via the 'library' or 'database' or seeing what can be found in their forum.

Assuming you saw, and passed, on the Music Hall 5.1 ($450CAN) or Technics SL-23 ($250CAN) that I'm currently seeing on the CAM site (note: I'm looking at the 10 CAM options that pop up via USAudioMart)?

Anyway, this is longer than intended...good luck in your search.

Mark
I love the aesthetics of the vintage ones I have my eye on, but when it comes to the used vintage market there's always going to be a degree of trepidation with regards to its functionality. Plus, I think these all don't really come with the greatest cartridges, so I'd be on the hook for the that on top of the cost of the TT. Not only that, but I feel as though I would have to have it serviced just in case, and that's a less appealing aspect of going used. The Fluance, at least, is brand new, and comes with a fairly decent one in the Ortofon Blue (it's around the $300 in Canada), and I really like the acrylic platter.

There is a second Solid 5 there for $550 with the OG headshell (it seems), but the bubble level is non-functional (which is a negligible defect, IMO).

I did see that Music Hall, but it's local pick-up only. I'd either have to find one that's local to where I live or one where the seller is willing to ship. I also wasn't so jazzed on the looks of it (I know function over form, but I like it to be at least somewhat pleasing to the eyes).

The internal debate continues, I suppose!

post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2020, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Out of curiosity, a quick search pulled up two shops that sell vintage turntables. One shop has refurbished units that come with a warranty. The other has limited info on its website, but might also refurb and provide a warranty on what they sell since they offer repairs (a phone call or email will clarify). A wider search may find more such shops. Links:

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/Stereo_Turntables.htm

https://theturntablestore.com/online...ries/turntable

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
I love the aesthetics of the vintage ones I have my eye on, but when it comes to the used vintage market there's always going to be a degree of trepidation with regards to its functionality. Plus, I think these all don't really come with the greatest cartridges, so I'd be on the hook for the that on top of the cost of the TT. Not only that, but I feel as though I would have to have it serviced just in case, and that's a less appealing aspect of going used. The Fluance, at least, is brand new, and comes with a fairly decent one in the Ortofon Blue (it's around the $300 in Canada), and I really like the acrylic platter.

There is a second Solid 5 there for $550 with the OG headshell (it seems), but the bubble level is non-functional (which is a negligible defect, IMO).

I did see that Music Hall, but it's local pick-up only. I'd either have to find one that's local to where I live or one where the seller is willing to ship. I also wasn't so jazzed on the looks of it (I know function over form, but I like it to be at least somewhat pleasing to the eyes).

The internal debate continues, I suppose!
A very good point concerning servicing. Old tables are great and in general turntables are fairly simple products. The main issue would be the suspension and this is not an inexpensive repair in relation to the costs you cite. Take that all into consideration. And the truth is a new $500 turntable these days is a fine product.
Ryan Statz likes this.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
A very good point concerning servicing. Old tables are great and in general turntables are fairly simple products. The main issue would be the suspension and this is not an inexpensive repair in relation to the costs you cite. Take that all into consideration. And the truth is a new $500 turntable these days is a fine product.
It's not just the servicing that is a concern, but the cartridge is also going to have to be replaced! I guess this is really just making the decision to go the new route a little easier

The Marantz that I had been keeping an eye on has since been sold, too.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 04:59 AM

@Ryan Statz

Have you tried your TT through the Phono input on your SR6014? If so how was the phono stage? Is good volume achievable too?
The Phono input through my Onkyo is lifeless, I added a separate phono preamp and utilize the CD inputs. Sound got better and louder volumes improved but are still not up to par.
Volume really only increases using direct mode but I do not care for that naked sound direct mode provides. I like to utilize Stereo or multichannel.

Just asking as I am considering the SR6014 or 7013.

cheers
Ryan Statz likes this.

State of Confusion
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Devil 666 View Post
@Ryan Statz

Have you tried your TT through the Phono input on your SR6014? If so how was the phono stage? Is good volume achievable too?
The Phono input through my Onkyo is lifeless, I added a separate phono preamp and utilize the CD inputs. Sound got better and louder volumes improved but are still not up to par.
Volume really only increases using direct mode but I do not care for that naked sound direct mode provides. I like to utilize Stereo or multichannel.

Just asking as I am considering the SR6014 or 7013.

cheers
I have not since my HT and music setup are separate. I did at one point have it hooked up to my previous Onkyo NR747 AVR, and it sounded fine to me at the time.

FWIW, Marantz is supposedly very good for music largely because of their HDAM tech. You probably can't go wrong with either.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I have not since my HT and music setup are separate. I did at one point have it hooked up to my previous Onkyo NR747 AVR, and it sounded fine to me at the time.

FWIW, Marantz is supposedly very good for music largely because of their HDAM tech. You probably can't go wrong with either.
My Onkyo NR636 just can't get good volume via phono input.

Putting TT into shop hopefully this weekend for routine service as well.

Marantz may be coming soon unless I try Outlaw...anyway....appreciate reply

cheers
Ryan Statz likes this.

State of Confusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page