Turntable Recommendations For the Clueless - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Class A
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By DreamWarrior
  • 1 Post By Michaeldef
  • 1 Post By J Devil 666

post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2020, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Turntable Recommendations For the Clueless

Hey Forum!

A friend of mine is interested in a new turn table. I am 100% clueless in this realm. I do know what a record is, and that vinyl is another name for record....

I know zero about brands that are worthy of pursuit, and I've got limited info. Connecting to a new Yamaha Aventage A2080 (at least it seems to have a proper phone input?). Interested in both manual and automatic. (O.K., I kinda know what that is too..). Aiming in the $1000 and less range is what he's after, and likes the Yamaha brand if that's an option, but it's not a must. That's about all I have to go off of.

What other info should I get from him to better steer the responses/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2020, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 3268
What speakers?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
What speakers?

Polks, but I don't recall which ones. But I can find out.....

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-19-2020, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Thumbs up

Here is a list of TT's I've played with and heard. All come w/cart.
1. Thorens TD 402 Direct Drive TT.
2. Rega P-3
3. Music Hall 5.3
4. Project Classic
5. Nad 588.
All are excellent the Rega however is the easiest to set up. Also has the superior tonearm. On the other hand I like the accuracy of the Thorens Direct Drive. W/the Project Classic it's the cheapest and you could upgrade the cart and still be in the 1K category.
Jonas2 and shivaji like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-19-2020, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Here is a list of TT's I've played with and heard. All come w/cart.
1. Thorens TD 402 Direct Drive TT.
2. Rega P-3
3. Music Hall 5.3
4. Project Classic
5. Nad 588.
All are excellent the Rega however is the easiest to set up. Also has the superior tonearm. On the other hand I like the accuracy of the Thorens Direct Drive. W/the Project Classic it's the cheapest and you could upgrade the cart and still be in the 1K category.
Excellent, thanks very much for that, greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
What speakers?
Polk RTiA3. Says they are pretty good, but I've never heard them...

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #6 of 13 Old 05-19-2020, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Polk RTiA3. Says they are pretty good, but I've never heard them...
Having them myself, they are pretty good for music.
Jonas2 likes this.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch | TBA: KEF Q750 Front L/R

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #7 of 13 Old 05-19-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 937
What about saving some coin and going with the Pioneer PLX-500. I know it looks like a DJ table, and will probably be derided on here, but I will say, I bought the "big boy" Technics SL-1200G and find it very digital sounding (in a good way) on good quality records. However, when I was buying it, the salesman kept saying, "just save the money and buy the Pioneer, you're not going to hear the difference" and, if he was right, your buddy's budget will require him to step down. Mine didn't...though, I probably should've.

My problem is finding good quality records -- even some that I have bought new have more pops and clicks than I think they should! Alas, I bought it to listen to my dad's collection and, it turns out, as much as I thought he paid good attention to it (he was always cleaning his vinyl and what not), I think his process stunk because every one of his albums I've played have tons of surface noise and pop and click like crazy. They continue to do so even after putting them through a cleaning process of my own. Which, unfortunately, means I have only put on vinyls when friends come over and want to listen to them -- a touch of a waste on the TT.
Jonas2 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
What about saving some coin and going with the Pioneer PLX-500. I know it looks like a DJ table, and will probably be derided on here, but I will say, I bought the "big boy" Technics SL-1200G and find it very digital sounding (in a good way) on good quality records. However, when I was buying it, the salesman kept saying, "just save the money and buy the Pioneer, you're not going to hear the difference" and, if he was right, your buddy's budget will require him to step down. Mine didn't...though, I probably should've.

My problem is finding good quality records -- even some that I have bought new have more pops and clicks than I think they should! Alas, I bought it to listen to my dad's collection and, it turns out, as much as I thought he paid good attention to it (he was always cleaning his vinyl and what not), I think his process stunk because every one of his albums I've played have tons of surface noise and pop and click like crazy. They continue to do so even after putting them through a cleaning process of my own. Which, unfortunately, means I have only put on vinyls when friends come over and want to listen to them -- a touch of a waste on the TT.
What cart are you using on your Technics?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Best bargain right now is the Fluance RT 84 or 85, it comes with the Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge,https://www.fluance.com/turntables
Jonas2 likes this.

Theater 1, Denon AVR X8500 H, 77 inch LG C9,Oled, RBH SV6500R Towers SV616 R & surrounds,.SVS PC 4000 sub Oppo 95, Denon DVD 3930, Epson UB 5040 Projection
post #10 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Having them myself, they are pretty good for music.
Good to know. One of my coworkers does have Polk towers in his workspace, and given that the space is 100% not acoustically friendly, and there is no ideally placing the speakers, they are actually damned impressive. Those are the only Polks I've heard. Fairly *old*, can't recollect a model#, I know totally useless info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldef View Post
Best bargain right now is the Fluance RT 84 or 85, it comes with the Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge,https://www.fluance.com/turntables
Great! Thanks for that, will add that to the list!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
What cart are you using on your Technics?
Ortofon 2M Black -- it came pre-mounted on a head-shell that simply plugged into the arm. It was both convenient and a package deal from the vendor.

Also, if you care, I am using a Parasound JC-3 Jr. phono-pre. I mostly selected this because I had bought a dealer demo Parasound Halo A21 amplifier many years prior. I was no longer using it, so I found a dealer that offered me an even trade, drop-shipping the JC-3 Jr. to my door with simply a CC on hand and a promise to deliver the A21 their way. I paid only the shipping costs to send them my A21. Given the original dealer that sold me the Halo demo amp gave me a "smoking" deal (it cost me $1200 with an amp stand), I figured the trade offer was fair enough and it saved me the headache of selling the Halo. I probably could've made some money if I took the time to buy the JC-3 used and sell the Halo myself, but I prefer to spend my time in better ways than playing let's make a deal, lol.

Finally, I am using a (blasphemy) Mytek Stereo 192 ADC between the JC-3 and my NAD pre-amp. Since the NAD would have digitized the input anyway and lacks a balanced input and because the run from my JC-3 to the NAD is about 50', I elected to eschew connecting the JC-3 directly to the single-ended input on the NAD. Instead, I ran balanced XLR from the JC-3 to the Mytek and then input S/P-DIF directly to the NAD. At least this way I am 100% in control of the ADC which must inevitably occur within the signal path. More, I can always connect the Mytek to a computer to digitally record albums.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The Fluance RT84/85(Belt Drive) also has auto stop.
So the TT will stop at records end. Note, the tonearm will not rise & return, but the auto stop is great if you're in another room. I believe the auto stop is switchable on/off.
Ortofon Blue cart, no preamp and around $500
If your friend plans on using any belt drive TT a lot.. good idea to purchase a replacement belt just to have as back up.

Technics SL 1500C Direct Drive ($1100) has an auto lift tonearm that rises at records end but platter does not stop. Switchable on/off pre amp. Autolift is also switchable on/off. Comes with Ortofon Red cart.
Jonas2 likes this.

State of Confusion

Last edited by J Devil 666; 05-21-2020 at 03:45 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Devil 666 View Post
The Fluance RT84/85(Belt Drive) also has auto stop.
So the TT will stop at records end. Note, the tonearm will not rise & return, but the auto stop is great if you're in another room. I believe the auto stop is switchable on/off.
Ortofon Blue cart, no preamp and around $500
If your friend plans on using any belt drive TT a lot.. good idea to purchase a replacement belt just to have as back up.

Technics SL 1500C Direct Drive ($1100) has an auto lift tonearm that rises at records end but platter does not stop. Switchable on/off pre amp. Autolift is also switchable on/off. Comes with Ortofon Red cart.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, he made mention of having had to replace belts before, but not necessarily as a game changer for this decision.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page