How good are audio interfaces' headphone amp and DAC? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2020, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 43
How good are audio interfaces' headphone amp and DAC?

I'm looking to add mic-in and headphone-out capability to my computer desktop 2-channel system. After some research, audio interface seems to serve my needs.

Its mic-in part should have very good audio quality, but what about its headphone-amp and DAC part, how do they compare to similarly priced DAC/headphone amp?

I know for audio interface, I'm paying for a lot of things I dont need. For under $200, I can get a pretty decent one and the more expensive ones seems to only add more input/output. I have no way of knowing whethe the DAC and headphone amp are actually better.

From what I have researched, I should be able to skip the AI DAC and use my current DAC in my main computer listening system. But I hope it should be a solid upgrade to my laptop internal DAC when I'm in the office. Schiit Modi 3 level at the very least for a sub-$200 audio interface (Focusrite scarlett/Motu M2)?

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature, LG OLED C7P 65
Setup #2: Elac Debut B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ??

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php, www.dpreview.com/forums, www.bimmerfest.com/forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2020, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 739
what headphones are you using? You might ask this in the headphone section.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2020, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
what headphones are you using? You might ask this in the headphone section.
I'm not much of a headphone person and only have some IEMs. The interface's headphone out probably is good enough for now but just wanted to know how much headroom there is.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature, LG OLED C7P 65
Setup #2: Elac Debut B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ??

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php, www.dpreview.com/forums, www.bimmerfest.com/forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
I'm not much of a headphone person and only have some IEMs. The interface's headphone out probably is good enough for now but just wanted to know how much headroom there is.
For IEMs, it's good enough.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page