1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jawaburger

post #1 of 5 Old 05-19-2020, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Distortion in my new setup

So I've posted on the Canton owner's forum, but I wanted to get some more traffic b/c I don't think this is a speaker problem. Here's the short story.

I just got my first setup, two Canton GLE 496.2 speakers connected to a Denon S650H.

I was playing pop music over bluetooth getting it warmed up, which sounded great. The next day I switched to classical, and piano sounds and some other more percussive instruments (celesta, etc.) make the speakers sound blown. Mid and high ranges on the piano are distorted, blown sounding. I just assumed I wired it poorly or something, but it's exactly the same from both speakers.

I switched to HEOS/Spotify Connect at the direction of A4L techs, and the distortion improved, but is still quite bad. As I was playing with the receiver, I turned off ECO mode to see what would happen, and again the distortion decreased. I can play a piano piece, and toggle ECO on and off and hear the distortion change.

Bad news is though that it is still present and quite noticeable with ECO off. I know all this has to signify the problem, I just don't know enough about speakers and receivers to figure it out.

I would love some guidance on the next step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-19-2020, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Liked: 2766
Try a direct connection/wired as opposed to BT. ?

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 5 Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Try a direct connection/wired as opposed to BT. ?
I can run Spotify from the receiver itself, as well as the TV through the arc connection, both of which are producing distortion (though less than BT).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2020, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Liked: 2766
The receiver is hardwired from your internet provider/router/modem/switch or wireless?
Have another source to test sound quality (IE: CD/DVD player, PC, etc.) as opposed to Spotify or another streaming provider to compare?

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2020, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlamb77 View Post
I can run Spotify from the receiver itself, as well as the TV through the arc connection, both of which are producing distortion (though less than BT).
Spotify is still a streaming service, and I assume you are doing this wirelessly, so it is harder to determine if the distortion is being caused by that. Do you own a CD or DVD or Blu-ray player you can through a CD in to play a music track you are sure there is no distortion in?
philpoe likes this.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | HT PC | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | PSA MTM 210T (FL/FR) | PSA MTM 210C (Center) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (SL/SR/SB) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page