Help with 2.1 PC Audio Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with 2.1 PC Audio Setup

This my first time here and I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right place/thread. So, please correct or direct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not much of an audiophile and I don't plan on being one. However, I am looking forward to having some nice sound for my PC setup as I want to move away from my small and old PC speakers. My room is currently on average 10-12 feet per dimension (length, width, and height). I was hoping for it to be used as an all a rounder; great for listening to shows like on YouTube and Netflix, movies, and even music (mostly hip hop, rap, trap like Drake). I don't tend to listen to music with speakers often as it would disturb my household members, so I will more or less use it watch shows like anime and movies. But I still want to be able to listen to music like as a form of entertainment whether individually like studying or to chill and have fun (if amazed can be) with a group of friends that come and hang over. After only being able to conduct some online research and nothing physical (lack of being able to actually listen and compare sounds), I decided on a couple of things (not certain or fully confirmed with yet):

For bookshelf speakers, I might choose the KEF q150 speakers white at $300 (either when they go on sale again or when they're in stock "refurbished" from A4L). Many people suggest it is good for near field listening. While I will be spending with them most of time myself/listening individually, and again not all the time or frequently, but I want to also know if this will be sufficient for listening to music for a "small party" (again since I'm planning for this to be for my PC in my bedroom). Please suggest any other speakers you guys know or can think of in the same price bracket.

For the subwoofer, I'm definitely leaning towards SVS. However, I cant decide whether to go sealed vs ported. I've heard that sealed is great for music ("tigher" and "thump" bass) while ported is great for movies (more "boomy"). But at the same time, I've heard (rather read) that from such a high quality company like SVS, it wouldn't matter for music or movies which one to get, besides the fact that ported would be better than sealed for both since its bigger and provides much lower and deeper ends. So, this makes it sound sort of conflicting to me and my decision on which to get. In addition, there is currently a sale going on today (05.19) on SVS site for Outlet items for Memorial Day. I was hoping to get the SB12-NSD for $399 or PB12-NSD for $499 (or any of the 1000 series that are also on sale). Paying $400 would be great, but if you guys can help me deem it justifiable, I could push it to $500. So, it would be helpful if anyone could give advise before the end of today (or before the sale ends or stock permits). If not, hopefully they will go on sale again on Black Friday.

For the amplifier, I'm having trouble deciding as I can't think of any that suits my needs well. At first I thought an amp like the SMSL AD18 would be sufficient as it had functions like Bluetooth and subwoofer, I realized that the power wasn't as strong as I intended. It's rated to run 80 watts for 4 ohms. However, the nominal impedance of the KEF q150 is 8 ohms. So, also rated, the AD18 runs 40 watts for 8 ohms. Hence, much weaker. That is why I was hoping to find any amps or speakers around the same price that performs and runs well but with more power like the advertised 80 watts (which is within the range I want it to be) but for 8 ohm speakers. Researching into it has only led me to more expensive amps like NAD (quaility but expensive) and in the territory of receivers. I haven't been able to research more deeply on receivers, but I asked once if the Yamaha TSR-7850R 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver would be suffice on this subreddit before. While it costed more than my budget and refurbished (which I am comfortable with as I never had problems with refurbished before), I considered buying it because it is actually a good deal ($260) for a 7.2 receiver with eARC and rated to run 95 watts per channel at 8 ohms). But like I mentioned, and told by others as well, this would be overkill for a 2.1 setup as I wouldn't use its extensive features especially all of its other channels. So I've decided this might not be the decision to go with. (But would like to hear your thoughts and opinions if this would be worth also.) Besides that, it would be helpful if you could suggest any other amps or receivers around the price (around same price as AD18 if amp and around $200 if receiver (if its well a bit over $200, might as well wait and get that receiver when back on sale I earlier mentioned, right?)) that suits me and what I'm looking for (which is primarily its power). Or, you can convince me if the AD18 would be sufficient even around 40 wpc at 8 ohms.

I also wanted to note, not that I'm against used, but especially during these times, I'm uncomfortable from buying from places like Craigslist and FB Marketplace. In addition, I am willing to hear and wait for any deals you guys have in mind and worth waiting for (like the KEF that usually go for $300). Also, since I'm new to this, it would be great if anyone could tell me how I would set all of these up (like wire everything together, what ports to put it in/where goes what, how to connect it to PC, etc). Hopefully I didn't drag this too much and sound rude for demanding a lot. Much appreciated for the suggestions, recommendations, and any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Infinity is having a great sale right now plus free return shipping if you decide not to keep them.

The R162 at $160 a pair or the R152's at $135 might be just the ticket especially at those prices.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14060573-in...?src=frontpage

Another great deal are the Wharfedale Diamond 225 bookshelf speakers. A bit warmer sounding.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kwR0lj...Blackwood.html
post #3 of 7 Old 05-24-2020, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply. Which do you think sounds better (KEF q150 vs Infinity r162)? Is worth the extra for the KEF q150 at $300 vs $160?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-24-2020, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Another option is the Vanatoo Transparent Zeros. They're active so you don't need the expensive and clutter of an amp/dac. They're also a smaller size and fit well on a desk. And they have bass management for a sub.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2020, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Another option is the Vanatoo Transparent Zeros. They're active so you don't need the expensive and clutter of an amp/dac. They're also a smaller size and fit well on a desk. And they have bass management for a sub.

Will check them out. Are these then considered like studio monitors?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=BrilliantRyloth;59703294]Will check them out. Are these then considered like studio monitors?[/QUO

Sorry, because they are active speakers*, I won't have the flexibility to upgrade along time. And because they are small and compact in size, will they have any disadvantage in sound compared to other speakers?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrilliantRyloth View Post
Sorry for the late reply. Which do you think sounds better (KEF q150 vs Infinity r162)? Is worth the extra for the KEF q150 at $300 vs $160?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you can I'd get both to try out in your home if possible. They are different speakers so best to test them. The are both very nice speakers for the price and you might be happy with either one. The infinity has free return shipping and maybe you can find a place that has that for the Q150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page