Colored and Picture LP's. Like Em'. Or just Give me Black. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 6315
Thumbs up Colored and Picture LP's. Like Em'. Or just Give me Black.

I'm sort of mixed on this subject. IMHO Picture discs belong on the wall. They are not processed the same way a normal LP is pressed. The difference is it's a sandwich process there the picture has to be pressed on the LP. This hurts the SQ. Also has more surface noise. My least favorite color is white. Very hard to pick up any imperfections on the disc. Always seem to have more trouble w/white than any other color. When I have a choice I'll go w/the black LP. Not that all colored records sound bad a few months ago I picked up the new Vince Gill album. It's blue in color and nice and quiet. But in the end just give me good old black. Curious to see how others feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2776 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
I don't care with the exception for rarity/collectible reasons.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
I quit buying new vinyl in 1980. I see no reason to restart now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1993 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
This hurts the SQ. Also has more surface noise.
I'd be interested in the actual evidence for these 2 claims.

Also back in the LP heyday, old unsold discs were often ground up, usually with labels still in place, and melted into the base for new discs to be pressed, so they often had higher noise. Coloured discs had to use virgin vinyl.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 941
I have only anecdotal information, but of the new records I've purchased, quite a few of them (colored or not) seem to suck for surface noise. There's also some inconsistency. For example, one side off this Guardians of the Galaxy vinyl I bought sounded great. The other side off the same record was horrible. I haven't tried the second record, yet.

I also bought, to test vinyl bass, this Billie Eilish record (it's glow in the dark). It's probably the worst so far. More, the digital version absolutely crushes it (as I figured it would) in bass output! Actually, the digital version is 100% better overall on this release, IMO. I didn't get past the first track on vinyl before lifting the needle, it was utter crap. I doubt it was simply due to the glow in the dark disc, but the surface noise may have been....
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 6315
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
I'd be interested in the actual evidence for these 2 claims.

Also back in the LP heyday, old unsold discs were often ground up, usually with labels still in place, and melted into the base for new discs to be pressed, so they often had higher noise. Coloured discs had to use virgin vinyl.
Picture disc's rather than pressed on pure vinyl are produced from sandwich of materials. Pure vinyl is still art the core, however the record is pressed w/the addition of a picture on both sides. This additional process requires a thin polyethylene layer on top of the vinyl. This has an effect on SQ and surface noise.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek
I quit buying new vinyl in 1980. I see no reason to restart now.

Really not a bad idea as it started getting harder to find GOOD ANALOGUE material from the 80s on........ Yes you can find it but its hard........ The 80s were the most destructive decade ever and its sad.....

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1993 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
Quote:
Picture disc's rather than pressed on pure vinyl are produced from sandwich of materials. Pure vinyl is still art the core, however the record is pressed w/the addition of a picture on both sides. This additional process requires a thin polyethylene layer on top of the vinyl.
I know how they're made, but...

Quote:
This has an effect on SQ and surface noise.
you've made the claim and still not backed it up with any evidence this is true.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page