PMA-800NE, A-S801, or SR-2A?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
PMA-800NE, A-S801, or SR-2A?!

So, the crappy DAC I was using with my old Nakamichi SR-2A decided to die. I was this close to ordering the Modi 3, when I decided to look for an amp with DAC and the trouble started.... how about buying a new toy?!

After reading/watching some reviews buying one of the Denon PMA-800NE or Yamaha A-S801 is tempting. Question is if the Yamaha is really superior to the Denon considering the slightly higher price. Anyone has listened to them side by side?

I am interested in the output quality rather than the features. as for the foreseeable future the single source will be my computer in my home office...

p.s. I posted this in another forum before, but seems this is the better place to ask.
Pagondeh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Check out the Outlaw 2160 and see if it meets what you need.
leecreek is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
Check out the Outlaw 2160 and see if it meets what you need.
The specs/bells and whistles are beyond my need. And it seems you consider it above the Yamaha & Denon. Now the question is if the quality of sound is really superior to the Shiit DAC + Nakamichi receiver. Any way to know that other trhan listening to them side by side? I hate to buy and return if there is a way to know it...
Pagondeh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Member
 
jrampoldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
what speakers are you using?
how big is your room?
how loud do you listen?

Last edited by jrampoldi; 05-22-2020 at 11:20 AM.
jrampoldi is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrampoldi View Post
what speakers are you using?
how big is your room?
how loud do you listen?
Current speakers in this room (office) are Elac DRB62's but I have 2 sets of Floor standings in other rooms which I may rotate.
A typical office room, maybe 14x16.
Not very loud. The Nakamichi volume almost never goes above middle point.
Pagondeh is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 12:09 PM
Member
 
jrampoldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagondeh View Post
Current speakers in this room (office) are Elac DRB62's but I have 2 sets of Floor standings in other rooms which I may rotate.
A typical office room, maybe 14x16.
Not very loud. The Nakamichi volume almost never goes above middle point.
IMHO i would keep the Nakamichi (Nelson Pass was involved in the design!)

here are 2 other dacs you might consider. they both performed better that the schiit according to audiosciencereview
SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2 $110 (i have one on order)
Topping E30 $130
jrampoldi is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrampoldi View Post
IMHO i would keep the Nakamichi (Nelson Pass was involved in the design!)

here are 2 other dacs you might consider. they both performed better that the schiit according to audiosciencereview
SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2 $110 (i have one on order)
Topping E30 $130
Thanks. Maybe I should wait and see how you like it. If it's good I will look for a way to hide it (is the person responsible for picking the color already fired?!)
Pagondeh is online now  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Member
 
jrampoldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagondeh View Post
Thanks. Maybe I should wait and see how you like it. If it's good I will look for a way to hide it (is the person responsible for picking the color already fired?!)
it's available in black (that's what i ordered) unfortunately, i ordered it a month ago direct from china so who knows when i'll get it.
jrampoldi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off