Help me get the best from my setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Help me get the best from my setup

I have mirage omd-28, I am currently powering them with a gen 1 emotiva xpa-5. These speakers have an F3 of 25hz measure flat to 20hz in my setup with room gain. Music is a high priority in my setup. I usually run the speakers full range and l listen to music in 2 channel only without my subs active. I have never been able to get a a smooth blend with my subs because the speakers aren't rolling off at all and the crossover slopes in typical home theater equipment don't match( typically 24db/octave low pass and 12 db/octave high pass). This mismatch causes too much overlap in the frequencies being played by the 28s and my subs.

I have been considering a few options to improve my combined setup. I could add a minidsp to set a 24db/octave high pass high pass filter slope and set my prepro to LFE plus main to use it's 24db/octave low pass. That would insert an ADA conversion and the minidsp does't measure all that great. I also was considering one of the crown class D amps. It would give the benefit of both more powerful amplification and built in high pass filter. The crown would also add an ADA and doesn't measure that well.

The other option would be to add a nice class D amp like Nord or KJFAudio or class A/B emotiva xpa-dr2. They measure better with significantly more power (500 watts per channel) and avoid the ADA. I would still be running the OMD-28 full range and that goes against conventional AVS wisdom. I have dual subwoofers in a 7.2.4 setup with a marantz 8805. I use subwoofers for the LFE track in movies and cross the other speakers in my setup (smaller mirage sealed speakers from the OMD line) over to them.

Do you guys think add a more powerful amp for the 28s and leaving things as currently configured would be a significant upgrade? Would I be better off to add something like the mindsp and crossover to my subs? Every review I have read say the mirages need gobs pf power and sound better with it. In the years I have had them they have always been used with the gen 1 xpa5. I want to get the best I can for both music and movies with this combined setup.

Last edited by tbaucom; 05-23-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any thoughts at all? Sound and Vision measurements below.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...m-measurements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tbaucom; 05-26-2020 at 08:59 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-28-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Have you considered a sealed sub? That might blend better with your speakers due to the different slope of the low bass output. Alternatively, use an outboard product to handle the crossover region with alterable slopes for both high-pass and low-pass filters. I don't think changing your amps will solve the stated problem. Using LFE + Main (i.e. Double Bass) is also problematic and may be exacerbating the problem.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Have you considered a sealed sub? That might blend better with your speakers due to the different slope of the low bass output. Alternatively, use an outboard product to handle the crossover region with alterable slopes for both high-pass and low-pass filters. I don't think changing your amps will solve the stated problem. Using LFE + Main (i.e. Double Bass) is also problematic and may be exacerbating the problem.

Thanks. I’m leaning toward a Marchand xm46sb. It is a passive filter that can be set to a 24db per octave high pass.

The reason for using LFE +main is to use the Marantz for the low pass part of the crossover.I don’t want to get double bass. The marantz low pass is 24db/oct. if I set the fronts to large and set bass to life+main with the same crossover point as the Marchand, in theory I should end up with a full Linkwitz-Riley crossover.

post #5 of 5 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
Thanks. I’m leaning toward a Marchand xm46sb. It is a passive filter that can be set to a 24db per octave high pass.

The reason for using LFE +main is to use the Marantz for the low pass part of the crossover.I don’t want to get double bass. The marantz low pass is 24db/oct. if I set the fronts to large and set bass to life+main with the same crossover point as the Marchand, in theory I should end up with a full Linkwitz-Riley crossover.

Ha, theory vs practice ... does not always result in the outcome we expect! Give us a shout out when you implement, as I'm sure there are folks interested in this experiment.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; Yesterday at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page