Please HELP! 2.1 vs 3.1 , A/V vs Stereo , Klipsch vs SVS vs.... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 06-10-2020, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I'd look at the Denon DRA 800H 2 channel receiver. It has 5 HDMI inputs, 2 analog inputs, a MM Phono, and 2 sub outs. Price $499. Also 100 wpc.
Here are the details on the DENON DRA-800H Network Stereo Receiver ($499), it does have a lot of features too. I'm not sure it completely matches the Yamaha RN803 Network Receiver ($750), but the Power is the same (100w/ch) and it does have HDMI Inputs.

It is not long on Analog Inputs, but ...to be honest... most Analog Inputs on amp go unused -

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gQ2sF5...-DRA-800H.html

Photo of the Rear Panel -

https://images.crutchfieldonline.com...33DRA800-M.jpg

I don't think it has Bass Management, but with the right Front Speakers, typically bookshelf, that's not that big a problem.

Nice amp for a fairly modest $500.

I believe ONKYO also makes a Stereo Receiver with HDMI, though I don't have a lot of feedback on it.

Onkyo TX-8270 Network Stereo Receiver with HDMI - $499 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TX8...o-TX-8270.html

So we pretty much have a range of options in this area.

In a system with a Subwoofer, I still lean toward the -

Yamaha RN803 Network Stereo Receiver - $750 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN8...ha-R-N803.html

But then, I'm not actually the one paying the bills.

EDITED:

This is also a pretty nice Yamaha for a bit less money. A bit older than the Yamaha RN803, but a nice amp none the less.

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, Network Streaming DAC(2xOpt, 2xCoax), etc... .- $599 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN6....html?tp=47041

This Receiver does have a Sub-Out, but does not have Bass Management.

Steve/bluewizard
Class A and wassup like this.

Last edited by bluewizard; 06-10-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 06-10-2020, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 6673
Thumbs up

More consumers are going for smaller systems. As a result it looks like companies are starting to produce integrated w/more audio features. Your now able to hook up a 4K tv, and other HDMI based gear into an integrated. I'm sure more full featured integrated models at various price points will come out.
post #33 of 38 Old 06-11-2020, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Hey, maybe it’s not exactly helpful to repeatedly recommend gear that’s over budget and missing major features (HDMI)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 06-12-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS460 View Post

The way i thought about splitting my budget is ~$1300 for receiver + L(C)R and $700 for SVS PB2000 (they go for 650-700 in their outlet store).

Would you like to REVISE your Budget? Because in the above, you are way over budget.

The above is $2,000, your stated budget, but WITHOUT Front Left/Right/Center Speakers. Assuming bookshelf, that will add another nearly $1000 to the price tag.

So ... is the budget $2,000 or $3,000? Or Other?

Steve/bluewizard
post #35 of 38 Old 06-13-2020, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 103
If money hasn't been spent yet, you can try the following to help narrow the search to find a solution that you like that fits budget:
Take advantage of the current sale at Harman Audio on Infinity Reference speakers. While the prices are great, the free-return 30-day trial is even better.
SVS also has free-return trials, or you could buy their items at Best Buy, which also also has many AVRs in stock to use their return policy.
Why not try a number of options, let your own ears decide risk-free and keep what you like?

From Harman Audio (while the sale's still on):
https://www.harmanaudio.com/home-aud...refv1=Infinity
Get all of the following: A pair of Reference 263 floor speakers, a pair of Reference 152 bookshelf speakers, and a RC252 Center channel.
These speakers have cerametallic drivers like higher-end Klipsch models. These speakers are competitive in terms of sound quality to others that cost equal to or above the non-sale price.

From the SVS outlet:
The PC-2000 is on clearance at $700, and outperforms the PB-2000 at the same price if you're OK with the cylindrical shape.
There are also several PB-3000s with blemishes currently in the outlet starting at $900 in case other stuff goes back, giving room in the budget.

From Best Buy you can pick any number of stereo receivers and/or AVRs, but I'll suggest that you get both of the following:
Sony STR-DH190 - It be any of the Sony, Yamaha and Insignia (likely made by Sony) receivers, but the Sony was the wirecutter pick, so I went with that. The others cost less.
Yamaha RX-V485 - It's the lowest priced AVR with streaming capabilities.

From Amazon, via Prime (for easier returns):
miniDSP 2x4 for bass management on the stereo receiver for the tests.

Everything listed above cost $1975, but odds are, a good chunk of it's going back and you'll end up under budget anyway.
With the prices of the Infinity speakers, if you like them, the money you can potentially save may give you some flexibility for your setup.
Since everything has risk-free returns, this should give you a chance to let you hear for yourself and pick your final option afterwards.

Once all the boxes arrive:
Compare the bookshelves vs the towers on the AVR, using its capabilities for subwoofer integration and room correction.
Try setting the crossover frequencies for the towers and bookshelves at different points to see which sounds best as you shift the burden of the low frequencies away from the speakers to the sub.
With the center channel active in 3.1 surround mode, ensure that voice clarity is superior to the 2.0 stereo setting.
If after the comparisons, the AVR performs well for HT and music, return the stereo receiver, the miniDSP, and the speakers that lost the comparison.
If you think there's more sound quality to be had from an AVR, the returns should allow for an upgrade to several other AVR options.

Compare the bookshelves vs the towers on the stereo receiver to see if the bookshelves are sufficient, or you need the towers even when the sub's picking up the low frequencies.
Keep in mind that without adding an inline solution like the miniDSP or hardwired bandpass filters, the receiver can't do crossover with a sub on its own, and can't do room correction.
You'll have to test the miniDSP from a single source before it gets to the receiver, and send the high-pass outputs to the receiver, and the low-pass outputs to the sub.
Also, to get audio from the TV, you may need an optical-to-analog converter and set audio output of the TV to "stereo". There are several options on Amazon that should still keep you under the $2K budget.
If after the comparisons, the stereo receiver plays music well and is good enough for HT, return the AVR and the speakers that lost the comparison.
If you go this route, you'll probably want to go with hardwired bandpass filters so that all sources benefit, but I don't see room correction in this price range.
Of course the returns would leave plenty of room in the budget to try other stereo receivers like many mentioned before in the thread.

If you prefer the sound of the stereo setup, but want the streaming audio capabilities of the AVRs, before spending a lot of money on a higher-end stereo solution to get that functionality, consider adding a Phorus PR5 instead.
It will add pretty much all of the streaming capabilities to the stereo receiver, including Bluetooth with AptX, and make it Play-Fi compatible for $29.

If somehow music is notably better on the stereo receiver, and HT is notably better on the AVR, and you don't mind the space requirements, you could just keep everything since it's within budget.
The 2.0 stereo and 3.0 HT setup would be physically separate other than sharing the subwoofer via the multiple inputs.
You could also share the front speakers if you can find a speaker-level summing circuit that would safely allow dual inputs, then return the other speakers.

Quote:
As of right now, i think i will go with YAmaha receiver, either A780 or V685. They seem to be identical and they have everything i need. I think im pretty settled on PB2000 as well.
As for speakers...im thinking ELAC unifi UB5 or SVS prime. Klipsch 600m are not on sale anymoree.
wassup likes this.

Last edited by philpoe; 06-14-2020 at 10:00 AM.
post #36 of 38 Old 06-15-2020, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Would you like to REVISE your Budget? Because in the above, you are way over budget.

The above is $2,000, your stated budget, but WITHOUT Front Left/Right/Center Speakers. Assuming bookshelf, that will add another nearly $1000 to the price tag.

So ... is the budget $2,000 or $3,000? Or Other?

Steve/bluewizard

Speakers (LR or LCR) + receiver = ~$1300
Sub = $650-700

I dont know where did $3000 come from?
post #37 of 38 Old 06-15-2020, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I’d strongly recommend staying on your original budget, AVS forum is a known cause of “upgradeitis” and the audio industry is really good at layering product tiers so there’s always a better model for just a little bit more money.
post #38 of 38 Old 06-16-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Speakers (LR or LCR) + receiver = ~$1300
Sub = $650-700

I dont know where did $3000 come from?
OK ... Cool.