Suggested Music tracks for Demo? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 526
David Bowie - Heroes
David Bowie/Queen - Under Pressure
Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes
Annie Lennox - No More I Love You's
Sarah McLachlan - Possession
Getz/Gilberto - The Girl from Ipanema
The Commitments (Soundtrack) - Chain of Fools (and) Try a Little Tenderness

...just some of my personal vocal favorites

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)

Last edited by smdelaney; 06-18-2020 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I really appreciate the suggestions as I am discovering music I have not previously listened to.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
post #33 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
I sold a lot of subwoofers and tower speakers with big woofers thanks to this cut:
This was also the very first digitally recorded rock album of music I actually listened to. [It was released the very first year of CD, 1982.]
s2000 likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-18-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
On a warmer and less bright speaker the track sounds fine.

A really detailed speaker where the treble is showcased can make this song sound almost unlistenable. I love the song however and this was an observation.

I dislike the terms "warm" and "bright" -- I think of both them as a speaker with crap tonal balance. IMO, a speaker should be neither warm nor bright; that's what a house curve is for. A speaker should have a uniform power response. If that sounds bad in one's room, fix the room (via acoustic treatment or EQ).

For example, I have a huge house curve in my system for a reason. Some may say this makes it "warm", but I find it to be tonally neutral to my hearing and it is inline with fletcher munson curves, though admittedly a "touch" exaggerated. Since my bass is so "present", I rarely find a recording "bright". I would be surprised to go home, listen to this Imagine Dragons track, and say, "man, this is unlistenable". However, I would bet I'll hear a lot of detail in the track!

The bass lays the foundation upon which everything is built. Get it wrong and many tracks start to sound bright because the low-end that exists in the track to neutralize the brightness is "neutered". Of course, one can also get it wrong by messing up the sub-mains blend or not correcting room issues. In these cases, often the bass can sound very one-note or exceptionally peaky. This, of course, also throws off the overall tonal balance of the system; it can then make bass-heavy songs "unlistenable".

Better, with a nice even frequency response, the detail in the highs is free to stand out. It's amazing what happens when the highs are no longer masked by room / speaker issues causing poor response in other frequency ranges.

Of course, I could just have tin-ears .

Quote:
DreamWarrior...
..would you mind sharing the speakers, amp and preamp you are using? A dac if you are using one?

I'm curious as I'm in the process of testing out bookshelves and maybe a tower. Always get a lot of ideas from these forums which is cool.
I use JBL M2 mains with four 18" Seaton F18+ subs (two master, two slave units) up front and two Seaton Submerssive HP+ (one master, one slave unit, i.e., two cabinets, four 15" drivers) near-field.

I have a NAD M17v2 preamp running into two Crown iTech 5000HD amps that drive the M2s.

I use BluOS on the NAD pretty much exclusively for music unless I feel like tossing on a vinyl.

My room is in the basement of my house which is in a pretty quiet rural-ish area. My phone measures a very respectable < 30dB(A) noise floor in the room, for whatever that's worth. However, I will say, having little ambient room noise is like having a really nice black-level on a TV -- it sets the stage for everything to ride upon.

Mind you, I had this exact same system in my last house and, despite doing everything I could to tweak it within WAF, it sounded NOTHING like it does in this room! I mean, the basics were there, but having a good room with proper set up (mostly freedom to tweak setup, lol) certainly is a key factor! In fact, I had it rotated in this room and it also sounded so bad I was ready to sell every bit of it. So...gear is a big factor, room and set up a very big one, too!
post #35 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
I really appreciate the suggestions as I am discovering music I have not previously listened to.
If you like that then you might want to give the "What are you listening to now" thread a look.
s2000 likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #36 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On a warmer and less bright speaker the track sounds fine.

A really detailed speaker where the treble is showcased can make this song sound almost unlistenable. I love the song however and this was an observation.

Well, I stand corrected...at least on this particular track. WTF? I decided to listen to the album from the start because, well, why not...I remember enjoying it well enough. Enter that track, "Demons" -- started out okay...and then, got worse. Odd because, IMO, the two flanking songs on the album sounded pretty good! I don't know...maybe it was an artistic decision, lol?
s2000 likes this.
post #37 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Well, I stand corrected...at least on this particular track. WTF? I decided to listen to the album from the start because, well, why not...I remember enjoying it well enough. Enter that track, "Demons" -- started out okay...and then, got worse. Odd because, IMO, the two flanking songs on the album sounded pretty good! I don't know...maybe it was an artistic decision, lol?
Lol....

I'm telling you man..something was off on this track and whether they decided to intentionally do that or not would be a great question to the group or the party responsible for the recording the track.

By the way I dont claim to know anything about audio because I'm pretty novice at best but have learned a lot from people here.

My wife in fact may have better ears than me. She mentioned the different octaves in Phil Collins voice on a certain song and said hun this speaker sounds better than the ones you have at home...lol...

We were actually listening to the Sierra 2Ex and that speaker had a lot of detail and some really refined quick bass. Also controlled if thay makes sense. Didnt sound muddy or bloated to me.

Everything pretty much sounded great with those speakers with the exception of Demons. She immediately said change this song because its not helping this speaker.

Oh, Bob Marley and the black eyes peas were excellent in the sound demo.

DreamWarrior likes this.

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
post #38 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
imagine dragons for instance and Demons can be a tough listen on a detailed speaker.
Not a genre I listen to but I just took a quick listen at youtube. It had a tremendous amount of distortion, I assume intentionally embedded in the track. It is hard for me to listen to and this is not an "old man doesn't get it situation"; I have nothing against the creative use of fuzz boxes or say the way Jimi Hendrix applies distortion but this stuff is just awful to my ear. People dig this? [It starts about 55s in on all the drums]

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-18-2020 at 10:13 PM.
post #39 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Not a genre I listen to but I just took a quick listen at youtube. It had a tremendous amount of distortion, I assume intentionally embedded in the track. It is hard for me to listen too and this is not an "old man doesn't get it situation"; I have nothing against the creative use of fuzz boxes or say the way Jimi Hendrix applies distortion but this stuff is just awful to my ear. People dig this? [It starts about 55s in all the drums]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRsgZuwf_8
I mean the song starts out good when it's just the Vocal and no distortion or drums..but once they throw in the Chorus all things go to shiiit...literally..with a shiiit Dac or not......

Some of the later songs by imagine dragons are much more smooth and tolerable.

Could it have been Budget constraints as a new band? That was my other thought.

I believe this was one of their first few songs before they became more popular. I could he wrong about this and just a guess.

Maybe it's like the college students eating Ramen because they cant go for Steak? ...lol...

post #40 of 53 Old 06-18-2020, 09:58 PM

This sort of distortion is akin to watching recording level meters hit the red line and then deciding you want everything to go into the red so you crank it even further. Budget has nothing to do with it. It is intentional or they are are hearing impaired and don't notice it.
post #41 of 53 Old 06-19-2020, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Similarly, very compressed metal with lots of detail can be difficult for speakers that add too much of their own signature to the sound. They can't get out of the way of the music, so their distortions negatively impact the piece as a whole. But, the same speakers may sound great if you strip the recording down to a voice or more simplistic acoustic arrangement.
This is exactly what I was talking about when I referred to "congested" music earlier. With everything playing at once, the speakers will lose detail and tend to sound "muddy", since most of the guitar, drum and vocal sound in metal is around the same mid-range.

I'm going to put a warning label on this. For those who aren't used to extreme metal BEWARE! This type of music tends to overwhelm the senses of the uninitiated. But this is the song I use to test congestion.

Hideous Divinity - The Servant's Speech

The heavily distorted guitars create their own underlying hiss, noise and harmonics, even with a noise gate. In fact, heavily distorted guitars amplify the harmonics, basically creating more instruments. And when you're playing them without pause, along with drums and bass without pause, as in the song above, I'm not sure any other genre can reach this much congestion. Some classical pieces might, but I don't have a frame of reference. So I use this song because I figure if the speakers can handle this song, they can handle anything. And since I play guitar (although I don't have any real interest in playing this genre (technical death metal)), I do have the tabulature for this song, and I know what notes and chords I'm supposed to be hearing.
post #42 of 53 Old 06-25-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
*snip*
I'm going to put a warning label on this. For those who aren't used to extreme metal BEWARE! This type of music tends to overwhelm the senses of the uninitiated. But this is the song I use to test congestion.

Hideous Divinity - The Servant's Speech
*snip*
OH MY! That was...intense! I felt like I could hear all the notes fine. Only complaint, which is typical for me of this genre, is that I can't understand most of the lyrics. I can hear the voice fine, it's not buried in the track or anything. In fact, I felt like the track was very well done as far as separating every element into its own space. Despite that, though, I have a hard time comprehending speech that is so...garbled? I believe it's intentional and part of the genre, though.

That said, I didn't actually find the song "congested" at all. Though, it was overwhelming -- you nailed that. It was like a million different notes sprinkled throughout my soundstage all bum-rushing me at once. I was exhausted by the time it was over, lol. I had to completely switch gears and put on a DJ Snake song, lol. Of course, I ended the night with Sade, so that wound me back down nicely, haha.
post #43 of 53 Old 06-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Hello all,

Just wondering what music tracks you all listen to when it's time to demo speakers?

I really like Vocals and instruments.

Vocals like Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, Whitney Houston, Andrd Bocelli..etc..

I also like classical music and like to hear details for instruments.

But honestly I listen to a wide variety of music and basically I like songs from almost any Genre.

Also any thoughts on bookshelves within the $800 to $1400 range? I just recently invested in dual subwoofers to handle the bottom end.

Thank you.

Dire Straits - Brother in Arms
Geri Allen - The Gathering
Sade - Soldier of Love

I listen to a lot of dance music and hip hop, but these are what I test with. These are really well recorded and engineered. Even if you like the most distorted bass-heavy dance music, if your equipment can do justice to to the quality of sound on these then then the equipment is worth owning.
post #44 of 53 Old 06-25-2020, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLord82 View Post
I find that well-recorded classical music provides the best test of a speaker's capabilities.
The problem with this is that for most, they don't know what it is supposed to sound like. It is also difficult to discuss classical music if you can't identify the instruments that your listening to.

I submit that having to learn the ins and outs of a genre to understand what it should sound like is just too much work if it isn't what you will be listening to.

I also suggest that how the sound system handles imperfections in the recordings may be relatively important (especially if you listen to cheap streaming music). You can't always run out and buy a better recording.
post #45 of 53 Old 06-25-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
OH MY! That was...intense! I felt like I could hear all the notes fine. Only complaint, which is typical for me of this genre, is that I can't understand most of the lyrics. I can hear the voice fine, it's not buried in the track or anything. In fact, I felt like the track was very well done as far as separating every element into its own space. Despite that, though, I have a hard time comprehending speech that is so...garbled? I believe it's intentional and part of the genre, though.

That said, I didn't actually find the song "congested" at all. Though, it was overwhelming -- you nailed that. It was like a million different notes sprinkled throughout my soundstage all bum-rushing me at once. I was exhausted by the time it was over, lol. I had to completely switch gears and put on a DJ Snake song, lol. Of course, I ended the night with Sade, so that wound me back down nicely, haha.
Hehe! Yeah, I can only handle so much of this at a time. I'm more into metal with a mid-tempo groove.

Old metal-heads don't care about lyrics. Probably got that from old rockers ("Louie Louie, oh no, you take me where ya gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby"). We look at vocals as just another instrument, especially in the death metal genre, such as this song. In this case, since the music is aggressive, the vocals need to match. Growls are the only thing that can do that. I hated them back in the day, but I got used to them, and now I wouldn't want that genre any other way. I guess you haven't been exposed to Brutal Death Metal, where most vocals are just pig squeals that sound like "re re re" and unintelligible reverse belches. Even I can't take that stuff.

IIRC, you have M2s. If those can't handle this, nothing can. This song packs a lot of notes all at once into that lower-midrange. My Maggies don't quite sound right with this. The notes aren't as distinct. But my Paradigm Signatures sound just fine. The jury is still out on whether my Linkwitz LXMinis can handle it. I have those in a crappy room right now.

Yeah, Hideous Divinity is like going 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. You can't end the listening session without a cooldown. Sade - Love Deluxe is one of my favorite albums for mellowing out. Some doom metal can be very mellow. My favorite metal album of this millennium (Trees of Eternity - Hour Of The Nightingale) is actually very sedate.
post #46 of 53 Old 06-25-2020, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hehe! Yeah, I can only handle so much of this at a time. I'm more into metal with a mid-tempo groove.

Old metal-heads don't care about lyrics. Probably got that from old rockers ("Louie Louie, oh no, you take me where ya gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby"). We look at vocals as just another instrument, especially in the death metal genre, such as this song. In this case, since the music is aggressive, the vocals need to match. Growls are the only thing that can do that. I hated them back in the day, but I got used to them, and now I wouldn't want that genre any other way. I guess you haven't been exposed to Brutal Death Metal, where most vocals are just pig squeals that sound like "re re re" and unintelligible reverse belches. Even I can't take that stuff.
I dunno, I try to look at the lyrics as just another instrument, but when I believe it to be English and can't understand it, I get frustrated, lol. I'm better if it's a foreign language tune, then I just accept it as instrumentation. I dunno, I'm odd, lol.
Quote:
IIRC, you have M2s. If those can't handle this, nothing can. This song packs a lot of notes all at once into that lower-midrange. My Maggies don't quite sound right with this. The notes aren't as distinct. But my Paradigm Signatures sound just fine. The jury is still out on whether my Linkwitz LXMinis can handle it. I have those in a crappy room right now.
Indeed, I think they handled it quite well. I don't think it would've worked as well in the last room they were in, though. I don't want to say my current set up is perfect, heck I have not even measured it since undoing my Dirac correction and moving around my subs. But, to my ears, it sounds great and better than it has in any other configuration.
Quote:
Yeah, Hideous Divinity is like going 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. You can't end the listening session without a cooldown. Sade - Love Deluxe is one of my favorite albums for mellowing out. Some doom metal can be very mellow. My favorite metal album of this millennium (Trees of Eternity - Hour Of The Nightingale) is actually very sedate.
I'll have to check that Trees of Eternity album out.

As for Sade, yes, it is great for chillin' out! When my wife was starting labor with our first child I put it on for her before we headed to the hospital. That was when I still had my Seaton Cat 12s, and they certainly did it justice. But, I think the M2s best them; they should for the money! Last night, I closed with "The Sweetest Taboo", which is one of my favorites of hers. Prior to that, it was Diana Krall and Norah Jones. All very powerful vocals -- present, right in the room, especially at higher volume levels. Before that, DJ Snake, kenzie, and Black Eyed Peas which cleansed me of your track .

I love these speakers!
post #47 of 53 Old 06-27-2020, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Sade gets a bum rap, supposedly easy listenng, but the musicians in the group are top notch, well respected in their own right - and the sound on the albums is really well engineered.
s2000 and SteveC356 like this.
post #48 of 53 Old 07-02-2020, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

This one should give you're speakers a work out!

https://tidal.com/track/14907630

post #49 of 53 Old 07-04-2020, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I recently went through a similar process while doing after market stereo upgrades for my cars. I couldn't really test speakers since the car (room) has such an influence but I could test the DSP tuning.

I searched for recommended play lists and found these recommendations, not my genre sorting if you think any are in the wrong category;

Alternative Rock
• Green Day – “Know Your Enemy”

Classic Rock
• Eagles – “Take It Easy”
• Steppenwolf – “Born to Be Wild”
• Supertramp – “School”
• Pink Floyd – “Us and Them”
• The Who – “Bargain” and “Young Man Blues”
• The Beatles – “Come Together” and “Norwegian Wood”
• Bachman-Turner Overdrive – “Blue Collar”
• Stevie Ray Vaughan – “Riviera Paradise”

Country, Folk
• Joan Baez – “Diamonds & Rust” (“Huge vocal image with natural instruments.”)
• Grateful Dead – “Friend of the Devil”
• Garth Brooks – “The Thunder Rolls” (“Real thunder, great vocal emotion.”)
• Faith Hill – “Breathe” (“Natural detailed vocal, a good test for harshness.”)
• Van Morrison – “Crazy Love” from Moondance album

Rhythm and Blues
• Marvin Gaye – “Mercy, Mercy Me” (“Fabulous track with the famous cowbell with reverb.”)
• Michael Jackson – “Billie Jean” and “Bad”

Pop
• Adele — "Skyfall"
• Christina Aguilera – “Come On Over” (“Listen for midrange glare and harshness.”)
• Kesha – “Praying”
• Hall & Oates – “Sara Smile”
• Steely Dan – “Black Cow” and “Peg” from Aja album

Female vocal tracks to make sure the highs are centered
Regina Spektor- Fidelity
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Heads Will Roll
LSD (Sia)- Thunderclouds
MO- Blur

Male vocal tracks to make sure the lows are centered
Chris Isaak- Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing
Paul Simon- Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes

A few tracks that take advantage of stereo imaging illusions
The Cars- Moving in Stereo
Radiohead- Jigsaw Falling into Place, 15 Step (really pick just about anything off of In Rainbows, Kid-A, or OK Computer)
Michael Jackson- Thriller (the intro footsteps)

Dynamic music to test balance and overall tone
Phil Collins- In the Air Tonight
Dire Straits- Money for Nothing
Dire Straits- Telegraph Road (a slow building and long song, listen while parked)

“Acoustic” or “Audiophile” music to test clarity, and accuracy
Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah (one of my absolute favorite recordings, and the very best version of this Leonard Cohen song).
Tracy Chapman- Fast Car
Paul Simon- the Graceland album ( You Can Call me Al)
Ben Howard- Old Pine
Nirvana- MTV Unplugged

Bass and midbass
Dr. Dre- Murder Ink (all of Chronic 2001)
Michael Jackson- Billy Jean
Rage Against the Machine- Killing in the Name (the entire self-titled album)
The Cars- Double Life
Damian Marley- Welcome to Jamrock
Bad Guy- William Eyelash
Paul Revere- Beastie Boys
Alt-J- Fitzpleasure
Tones and I- Dance Monkey
The Cure- Lovecats (good standup bass)

Known high quality albums
Fleetwood Mac- Rumors
Paul Simon- Graceland
Rage Against the Machine- Rage Against the Machine
Dr. Dre- Chronic 2001
Radiohead- OK Computer

This is the playlist I put together based on songs I had that were recommended in various lists so I could get familiar with songs and compare them to the DSP tunes. I would often use my best headphones and headphone amp to get a baseline for what the song should sound like and then compare how it sounded in the cars.

School – Supertramp, Crime Of The Century
Riviera Paradise - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
The Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks, No Fences
Black Cow - Steely Dan, Aja
Peg - Steely Dan, Aja
So What - Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue
Us And Them - Pink Floyd, The Dark Side Of The Moon
Bargain - The Who, Who's Next
Take It Easy - Eagles
Young Man Blues - The Who, Who's Next
Friend Of The Devil - Grateful Dead
Bad - Michael Jackson
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
Blue Collar - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Crazy Love - Van Morrison
Come Together - The Beatles
Skyfall – Adele, Skyfall
Power - Marcus Miller, M²
Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits
Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes - Paul Simon, Graceland
Thriller - Michael Jackson, Thriller
Fast Car -Tracy Chapman
You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon, Graceland
Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac
post #50 of 53 Old 07-04-2020, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post
I recently went through a similar process while doing after market stereo upgrades for my cars. I couldn't really test speakers since the car (room) has such an influence but I could test the DSP tuning.

I searched for recommended play lists and found these recommendations, not my genre sorting if you think any are in the wrong category;

Alternative Rock

•Green Day – “Know Your Enemy”

Classic Rock

•Eagles – “Take It Easy”

•Steppenwolf – “Born to Be Wild”

•Supertramp – “School”

•Pink Floyd – “Us and Them”

•The Who – “Bargain” and “Young Man Blues”

•The Beatles – “Come Together” and “Norwegian Wood”

•Bachman-Turner Overdrive – “Blue Collar”

•Stevie Ray Vaughan – “Riviera Paradise”

Country, Folk

•Joan Baez – “Diamonds & Rust” (“Huge vocal image with natural instruments.”)

•Grateful Dead – “Friend of the Devil”

•Garth Brooks – “The Thunder Rolls” (“Real thunder, great vocal emotion.”)

•Faith Hill – “Breathe” (“Natural detailed vocal, a good test for harshness.”)

•Van Morrison – “Crazy Love” from Moondance album

Rhythm and Blues

•Marvin Gaye – “Mercy, Mercy Me” (“Fabulous track with the famous cowbell with reverb.”)

•Michael Jackson – “Billie Jean” and “Bad”

Pop

•Adele — "Skyfall"

•Christina Aguilera – “Come On Over” (“Listen for midrange glare and harshness.”)

•Kesha – “Praying”

•Hall & Oates – “Sara Smile”

•Steely Dan – “Black Cow” and “Peg” from Aja album

Female vocal tracks to make sure the highs are centered

Regina Spektor- Fidelity

Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Heads Will Roll

LSD (Sia)- Thunderclouds

MO- Blur

Male vocal tracks to make sure the lows are centered

Chris Isaak- Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing

Paul Simon- Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes

A few tracks that take advantage of stereo imaging illusions

The Cars- Moving in Stereo

Radiohead- Jigsaw Falling into Place, 15 Step (really pick just about anything off of In Rainbows, Kid-A, or OK Computer)

Michael Jackson- Thriller (the intro footsteps)

Dynamic music to test balance and overall tone

Phil Collins- In the Air Tonight

Dire Straits- Money for Nothing

Dire Straits- Telegraph Road (a slow building and long song, listen while parked)

“Acoustic” or “Audiophile” music to test clarity, and accuracy

Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah (one of my absolute favorite recordings, and the very best version of this Leonard Cohen song).

Tracy Chapman- Fast Car

Paul Simon- the Graceland album ( You Can Call me Al)

Ben Howard- Old Pine

Nirvana- MTV Unplugged

Bass and midbass

Dr. Dre- Murder Ink (all of Chronic 2001)

Michael Jackson- Billy Jean

Rage Against the Machine- Killing in the Name (the entire self-titled album)

The Cars- Double Life

Damian Marley- Welcome to Jamrock

Bad Guy- William Eyelash

Paul Revere- Beastie Boys

Alt-J- Fitzpleasure

Tones and I- Dance Monkey

The Cure- Lovecats (good standup bass)

Known high quality albums

Fleetwood Mac- Rumors

Paul Simon- Graceland

Rage Against the Machine- Rage Against the Machine

Dr. Dre- Chronic 2001

Radiohead- OK Computer

This is the playlist I put together based on songs I had that were recommended in various lists so I could get familiar with songs and compare them to the DSP tunes. I would often use my best headphones and headphone amp to get a baseline for what the song should sound like and then compare how it sounded in the cars.

School – Supertramp, Crime Of The Century

Riviera Paradise - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

The Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks, No Fences

Black Cow - Steely Dan,Aja

Peg - Steely Dan, Aja

So What - Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue

Us And Them - Pink Floyd, The Dark Side Of The Moon

Bargain - The Who, Who's Next

Take It Easy - Eagles

Young Man Blues - The Who, Who's Next

Friend Of The Devil - Grateful Dead

Bad - Michael Jackson

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf

Blue Collar - Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Crazy Love - Van Morrison

Come Together- The Beatles

Skyfall – Adele, Skyfall

Power - Marcus Miller, M²

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits

Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits

Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes - Paul Simon, Graceland

Thriller- Michael Jackson, Thriller

Fast Car -Tracy Chapman

You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon, Graceland

Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac
That is Awesome and Thanks for Sharing! I am going to test these out on Tidal Hifi and MQA if available.

post #51 of 53 Old 07-04-2020, 10:23 AM

This is a favorite used at trade shows I learned about from @John Schuermann . If you have good speakers, in a good room, properly optimized for imaging (see my Chesky test video below) you even get some cool off stage images (the sax) beyond the confines of the L-R speakers! [Listen with your eyes closed to its first squawk at 22 seconds. If you hear it slightly to the left of your left speaker you qualify.]

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-04-2020 at 11:04 AM.
post #52 of 53 Old 07-04-2020, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3062 Post(s)
Liked: 2887
Quote:
Daft Punk - Pentatonix (an acapella vocal range tour de force)
I have a new favorite group. Thanks.
Michael
SmittyJS likes this.
post #53 of 53 Old 07-04-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
This is a favorite used at trade shows I learned about from @John Schuermann . If you have good speakers, in a good room, properly optimized for imaging (see my Chesky test video below) you even get some cool off stage images (the sax) beyond the confines of the L-R speakers! [Listen with your eyes closed to its first squawk at 22 seconds. If you hear it slightly to the left of your left speaker you qualify.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVCb65YKQ7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N02Y7vaVDNo

That was a neat experience, thanks for sharing. Goes to show how certain recordings can really show off one’s system. My lowly Polk RTi8’s and 320 kbps stream from Spotify still sounded great with that tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
m. zillch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page