• 1 Post By m. zillch

post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2020, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Tube Preamp with ADC

I am firmly camped out in the digital, home theatre side of things, and all in favor of using modern DSPs for things like bass management and room correction.

At the same time, I have a decent vinyl collection and although I think digital audio is superior to vinyl, there is something deeply satisfying about playing and listening to records.

So I find myself wondering: have any manufacturers made a high-quality tube pre-amp (to get that stereotypically warm sound you get from the even-ordered harmonic distortion from tubes and also, let's be honest, the pleasing aesthetics of a tube amp glowing in your room) with a built-in very high quality A/D converter, so that you could pass say, a 48/24 digital signal over HDMI or USB to an AVR? Would there be a market for such a device?

Last edited by dschulz; 06-13-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I am firmly camped out in the digital, home theatre side of things, and all in favor of using modern DSPs for things like bass management and room correction.

At the same time, I have a decent vinyl collection and although I think digital audio is superior to vinyl, there is something deeply satisfying about playing and listening to records.

So I find myself wondering: have any manufacturers made a high-quality tube pre-amp (to get that stereotypically warm sound you get from the even-ordered harmonic distortion from tubes and also, let's be honest, the pleasing aesthetics of a tube amp glowing in your room) with a built-in very high quality A/D converter, so that you could pass say, a 48/24 digital signal over HDMI or USB to an AVR? Would there be a market for such a device?

Hi,

I'm not sure if it meets your exact requirements, but I have something similar. Since OTL tube amplifiers are hard to find with massive output, I did similar and wanted a DAC with tube pre-amp output so that there was some tube influence passed on to be amplified faithfully to do what you're describing and have that analog experience but with a little more connectivity digitally and with more output options. For me it was the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC. The tube is inside and glows a lovely orange. And I have been using it for about 9 years straight now.

Very best,
dschulz likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

I don't know of a tube Preamp with a built in DAC but Prima Luna recently came out with a gorgeous tube DAC. You could pair it with one of their excellent integrated tube amps or if you don't need an amp, one of their tube pre's.
dschulz likes this.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
Quote:
The dbx 386 is a Dual Vacuum Tube Preamp with Digital Out. I don't know any more specifics about it.
18Hurts likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 53
or you could get a Schitt Freya+ tube preamp and stack whatever DAC you like.....
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The dbx 386 is a Dual Vacuum Tube Preamp with Digital Out. I don't know any more specifics about it.
The dbx unit is a microphone preamp, so it doesn't do the RIAA curve that you need for it to work as a phono stage. Although one could probably use DSP downstream to handle the RIAA curve, it'd be inelegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassup View Post
or you could get a Schitt Freya+ tube preamp and stack whatever DAC you like.....
Honestly I think this is the only way to do this correctly at the moment - pick a good preamp (and the Schitts are very good) and then an outboard A/D converter (or just rely on the A/D conversion in your AVR).
post #7 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
The dbx unit is a microphone preamp, so it doesn't do the RIAA curve that you need for it to work as a phono stage. Although one could probably use DSP downstream to handle the RIAA curve, it'd be inelegant.

Honestly I think this is the only way to do this correctly at the moment - pick a good preamp (and the Schitts are very good) and then an outboard A/D converter (or just rely on the A/D conversion in your AVR).
The dbx has no phono stage, true, so you'd need to do that outboard but it has a line in so you could do:

Phono preamp > dbx 386 line in, tube A-to-D> digital in on AVR/
dschulz likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2020, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

McIntosh C2700 tube preamp.... phonostage, dac, hdmi, and visible tubes

Sony ES600VW Projector, 110" motorized screen, Yamaha 2060 AVR, Parasound Halo Hint, KEF LS50s, Focal 926 Arias, PS Audio Power Plant, Velodyne 12" Sub-Woofers (2), PSB In Wall Surrounds (4), Music Hall 7 Turntable, Grado Gold, Apple TV, Sonos (6 Zones), , 55" Samsung Q6F, Klipsch Forte IIIs, 75"Sony 940E , Crown Li1500 power amp...330WPC @ 8 ohms, McIntosh C2600 pre-amp, PS Audio M700 Monoblock Power Amps
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaAllen View Post
McIntosh C2700 tube preamp.... phonostage, dac, hdmi, and visible tubes
No A/D nor digital out as he stated he needed.

Also at $8K it is sort of an odd purchase to tack onto an AVR as was his requested plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page