Rebuilding from Scratch - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 6673
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
He doesn't have to go all the way to $7500, he can adjust here and there both up and down to suit his needs. That's why I try to emphasize flexibility in the budget.

If we go like this -

1x = CD Player
1x = Amp
2x = Speaker Pair

A given used might not see value in a more expensive CD Player, so he might adjust like this.

0.5x = CD Player
1x = Amp
2.5x = Speakers

Or anyone of dozens of other combinations.

But I think my calculation does establish a pretty fair starting point. Though it gets much more difficult trying to do this for a AV system.

But no one should try to adhere to this too rigidly.

Steve/bluewizard
You forgot that he wants a subwoofer. His initial pick was a SVS PB4000 price about 2K. The suggestion was a Rhythmic 12F at $890. The savings on the sub would go towards a better TT. The 1200GR. The system was for 80% records. The budget would be better allocated toward a better TT. He also listens to hip-hop so a good sub w/some low end punch is needed. As far as a cart you can save some money w/a 2m Blue or a Denon 103R MC cart. Also a Hanna EH high output MC cart. The focus should be on the record system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
You forgot that he wants a subwoofer.....
If he wants a Subwoofer, in a system of this caliber, then he is going to need Bass Management BEYOND what the Sub alone can give him.

I'm waiting for a response for the Original Poster before I get into the details of that.

And ... he already has a Subwoofer.

In my opinion ... adding a $2000 Sub inappropriately diminishes the value of his other components. But it is not my money.

If the Original Poster wants to get into the complications of adding a Subwoofer to the implied system, then he has to say so as there are several Options. But employing Bass Management on a system like this without Bass Management built in, implies that he will have to have a Pre-Amp/Power-Amp which is itself expensive.

Steve/bluewizard
post #33 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I still say the sub is not as important in the system for music, I look at it as filling in the gap of the system. I would still concentrate on the main speakers. Bass is only one part of the big picture in my book. That's why I won't even mind if the speakers is half of the total budget.

I have been saying my Rythmik F120-SE is amazing and much better than my old Velodyne, BUT if I have to give up my pair of speakers to a lesser pair, I would not think twice keeping the Velodyne so I can put the money into my better speakers........Even I know how good the Rythmik and the difference it makes to the bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
I still say the sub is not as important in the system for music,....
I'm inclined to agree, but it is not my system.

The OP needs to clearly and unambiguously tell us what he wants, and we will help him get it.

With a Subwoofer in this caliber of system, he will absolutely need Full Bass Management, and that effects his other equipment choices.

But it is up to him to tell us what he hopes to accomplish, then we can advise him on how to accomplish that

Steve/bluewizard
post #35 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree, but it is not my system.

The OP needs to clearly and unambiguously tell us what he wants, and we will help him get it.

With a Subwoofer in this caliber of system, he will absolutely need Full Bass Management, and that effects his other equipment choices.

But it is up to him to tell us what he hopes to accomplish, then we can advise him on how to accomplish that

Steve/bluewizard

Ha ha, where's OP?

Oh, yeh, I agree sub is good, I love my Rythmik, I just encourage OP to concentrate on the speakers first and not start with a fancy sub to start. At that, I kind of nudging him to used market to get the best bang out of the bucks. I practice what I preach too, I have not buy anything new in stereo for like 25 years. I just don't believe in marketing hype that newer ones are better, that they improve their newer products. I believe a high end 20years old speakers are still very high end particular for the money. I am very happy with my 17 years old Alto for 1/3 the original MSRP. I am born cheap, always want to stretch the dollar.

I don't even have bass management, I just connect to the output of the power amp to the speakers and adjust the knobs on the sub. I need to get a preamp, I don't have one, the one I built is just a buffer and with relay switching different inputs and route to the power amp. Ha ha, what bass management?!!! I think this would be my logical next step, just where to even start.
post #36 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 777
I agree with the general sentiment from bluewizard and alan0354. Money wise spend it on speakers, speakers, speakers, then the other stuff. That's what I did, when building a system I stretched the budget on speakers. The other components such as receiver and Oppo, were less than a third of the cost of the speakers.

I do find myself lately wanting more in the receiver/amp lately or a better source, but I just can't decide. Seems I made pretty good selections to start with because no matter how much I could spend, I can't find much that does everything my current set up does.

And yes, a sealed rythmic 12" would be more than enough for music.
alan0354 likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #37 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I agree with the general sentiment from bluewizard and alan0354. Money wise spend it on speakers, speakers, speakers, then the other stuff. That's what I did, when building a system I stretched the budget on speakers. The other components such as receiver and Oppo, were less than a third of the cost of the speakers.

I do find myself lately wanting more in the receiver/amp lately or a better source, but I just can't decide. Seems I made pretty good selections to start with because no matter how much I could spend, I can't find much that does everything my current set up does.

And yes, a sealed rythmic 12" would be more than enough for music.
Funny you mention OPPO, I use a used OPPO non Blu Ray DVD player as my main CD player, it sounds so amazing I even bought a second exact one as spare. I am so happy people "have to" have the latest and greatest and dump out the old ones for cheap. I paid $60 each including shipping and all. They are like new, they had to be a few hundred dollars at the time. I am born cheap, I like to have people pay for the depreciation for me!!! I am not into movie, I watch on air tv shows, there is no chance I ever need a Blu Ray player...........Put it in perspective, the last DVD I bought was "Pearl Harbor"!!!
post #38 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobolski View Post

I'm very open to input and suggestions here! I don't want to spend this money and then have it not work together or sound like it's not much better than my old setup. I want to do it right and then be done for a few years. So thanks in advance for any help!
I'm not sure there is any place for this conversation to go unless we can get some feedback from the Original Poster.

With no feedback, it is likely to descend into idle chatter, and general conversation.

There are issues that need to be resolved or at least discussed.

The presence or absents of a Subwoofer being at the fore of my mind at the moment. A Subwoofer means Bass Management, and Bass Management effects the choice for the Amp section.

Dead in the water without feedback.

Steve/bluewizard
post #39 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
With no feedback, it is likely to descend into idle chatter, and general conversation.

Steve/bluewizard
That's not too bad, it's not is if we( at least I) have anything better to do in this stay at home thing. We are not supposed to go out, the last 3 months of staying at home, I built 3 new amps and on the 4th one already. Just ripped the old amps out of the chassis and built new ones in. There is only so much everyday building, this is a good place to relax and talk. Ha ha, I never run out of amps!!!

Last weekend was the first time in 3 months my stepson and grand daughter came and stay over night disobeying the stay at home order. Everybody was talking and talking non stop. Haven't have people to talk for a while!!!

So if OP is MIA, we talk!!!
post #40 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I agree with others it's fairly pointless responding with useful info not knowing the answers to the basic questions.

With that caveat and if it were me with $7500 I would go with something like (I'm a firm believer in spending most on things that can influence the sound the most):

Pair of Revel M126Be (a pair currently for sale on A-gon for $2400 which is a steal)

Pair of SVS SB-3000 - around $1800 for both I believe. If you colocate them with the Revels you could run the crossover up to say 120 Hz and have some prodigious output capability. Alternatively you could place them (and his existing PB-1000) for smoothing out room modes.

So I have $3300 left for front end.

This will be a little unconventional but how about a miniDSP SHD as a preamp/bass manager/Dirac Live room correction and....drum roll....a network streamer all for $1199...with a remote control. Value value value.

I still have $2.1k left for a 2 channel PA and a turntable/phono preamp if I wanted one, which I would not. So either way I'd have at least $1200-$1500 for the PA. The Revels deserve good power but in his room sitting 6-8 ft away from the speakers it would be insane to look at anything > 200 wpc continuous into 8 ohms and I'm pretty sure $100 wpc would be more than enough considering the small room size and the fact that the Revels only have to work from 120 up. There are dozens of PAs that could be chosen in this price range. I might go for an NAD C275BEE (~$1500), a pair of Outlaw M2200 monoblocks ($800), a Hypex-based amp either preassembled or kit (~$1000-1200 for NC-400 version), a Parasound A23+, or I might wait around and try to snag a preowned AHB2, though that might take a long time.

Revel Ultima Salon2 x2; Paradigm Servo-15; Denon AVR-4311CI; Apple MacMini; Audirvana 3.5; Spotify Premium; Amazon Music HD; Sony UBP-X1000ES; Roku Ultra; Vizio 75 PQX, JVC RS40; DaLite 102" screen; Gallo Reference 3.5 x4; Gallo Strada II x1; Denon AVR-3805
-----------------
Yamaha ASR-7850; KEF LS50 x2; HSU ULS-15II; Panasonic 55GT30; Roku 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page