Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 06-15-2020, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Rebuilding from Scratch

So I finally talked my wife into letting me completely rebuild the 2.1 setup in my office for vinyl. My current system is the Audio-Technica AT120 turntable, Q Acoustics 3020i bookshelf speakers, SVS PB-1000 sub and the Onkyo TX-8020 receiver. It's fine but isn't all that loud and gets a bit distorted at higher volumes. All of it except the turntable is going to the garage in my shop space and a friend is taking the tt off my hands.

For the new setup I have a budget of $5,000 but I can stretch it to $7,500 if it makes or breaks it. I'd like to not be upgrading again...at least for a long time. I know everyone asks what it will be used for so it's 80% vinyl. The TV does get hooked up to it but solely for video games *only* if the TT isn't on so it's not a priority. Bluetooth for Spotify streaming would be a nice bonus but not at all a priority. Oh, and the bulk of my music listening is hip hop but with a large variety peppered in from pop to 80's to rock. With that said, here's where I'm at now.

For the turntable I'm getting the Technics SL-1500C. I debated this and the Rega Planar 3 for a long time. Ultimately I like the automatic features for speed and the end of the record. We listen from the back deck a lot and I don't always make it inside right away when a record ends. Plus, as a hip hop head, the look of it is very nostalgic and cool. I am planning on upgrading the cartridge to the Ortofon 2m Blue though. Any issues here?

For the subwoofer I'm sticking with SVS as I'm a big fan but going bigger. I'm getting the PB-4000 I think. I debated the PB16-Ultra but it seems like it might be overkill. Should I look at anything else?

The speakers are up for debate. I've been looking at the Wharfedale Evo 4.4's and the Dali Oberon 5's so far. They seem comparable and within budget. My office is an odd shape and open on one side if that makes a difference. And I sit about 6-8ft from the TV/speakers. Is either of these going to have a clear advantage? Should I go a totally different direction?

The place I'm most stuck is the receiver/amp/preamp selection. I've looked through tons and there's not really a clear answer. Right now I'm looking at the Marantz PM8006 integrated amp or the combo of the Emotiva BasX A-300 amp and BasX PT-100 preamp. I know Marantz makes solid products but lots of people say go separates and Emotiva seems to get great reviews. I also saw the Yamaha R-N803 and Outlaw Audio RR2160 recommended. Along with Cambridge Audio, NAD, Schiit, Peachtree and a bunch of others. I'm very lost here and don't know how they'll match to the speakers. Very open to suggestions here! If possible I'd love subwoofer control on there too but not a priority since it can be controlled from the SVS app.

Lastly is the phono preamp question. I can't find any consensus here. Is it needed if there's already a built in one? Is it that much better? How much is worth spending on it? Skip it entirely? Help lol!

I'm very open to input and suggestions here! I don't want to spend this money and then have it not work together or sound like it's not much better than my old setup. I want to do it right and then be done for a few years. So thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 06-15-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Ascend Sierra 2EX or possibly something from Salk Sound. And I would consider going with either a HSU ULS-15 MK2, Rythmik F15HP or PSA S1512 for subwoofer.

Others will probably have a better idea on amp recs.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #3 of 40 Old 06-15-2020, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Find a speaker you like
Then the amp
Imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 06-15-2020, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 610
For $5000 to $7500, I would look for a better pair of speakers. The pair of speakers is THE most important part of the system, I would look at $2500 to $3500/pair of speakers, now you can get into some high end speakers. You have to go listen to it, nobody really know what sound you like, we can only suggest what we like which means nothing to you.

As for me, I like Focal, for that kind of money, you can look at Focal Aria speakers new. If you are willing to buy used, then you can really get some high end speakers. I believe in used, I just spent $5500 on a used pair of Focal Alto Utopia, the top of Focal line, the Utopia line. I am so happy. Also check out Sonus Faber, these two are high end brands where the top models goes beyond $130K/pair.

Don't know anything about TT as I dump mine in the gabby can in around 92 when I first got a CD player......Sorry.

If you have the space, I would get separate power and preamp. There is a good reason for that. There will be a lot of new devices for source coming out, the preamp is more like fashion, I can't even keep up with the latest and greatest. If you buy an integrated amp, in a few years, they might have new and better source and link that your integrated amp don't have, then you are forced to buy new one. Like I don't even know anything newer than CD, if I want TOSLINK or other new ways for streaming music, I have to buy something new.

Power amp doesn't change, a high end power amp in the late 80s is as good as any power amp today. I know, I design power amps. Technology have not change on high end ones, they came out with class D, class H amps that have good enough quality cheaper. But the really good ones are still traditional class AB and class A that almost never change. You said you want something to last for a long time, this is the way to go.

Buy a good power amp, buy preamp like fashion that you are going to change in a few years. Most important is the get the good pair of speakers because the speakers defined the sound of your system. Everything else is to make the best of the speakers.

Last edited by alan0354; 06-15-2020 at 05:23 PM.
post #5 of 40 Old 06-15-2020, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Speakers: http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR+Monitors
Amp (don't laugh): https://www.paradigm.com/en/wireless/pw-amp
A BlueSound PowerNode 2i: https://www.bluesound.com/products/powernode/ could work too. The Paradigm amp comes with Anthem ARC - a VERY powerful room-correction software package that is considered an upgrade to Audessey.
mbroadus likes this.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
post #6 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Ascend Sierra 2EX or possibly something from Salk Sound. And I would consider going with either a HSU ULS-15 MK2, Rythmik F15HP or PSA S1512 for subwoofer.

Others will probably have a better idea on amp recs.
I can vouch for the quality of Salk Sound. I have them. You can also get Mr Salk to build a sub cabinet that matches your speakers. His subs are based on the Rythmic 15, the also has the 12 in Rythmic. He also has the F25, which is two 15 in woofers in one cabinet, which seems like overkill for your use. I'd think for music a 12 or 15, which are both sealed subs, would be fine. For music as the primary use, sealed subs would be better.

If I were to go bookshelf speakers, the Sierra 2EX would also be on my short list. The aforementioned BMR monitors (2395) and the Silk (3795) would also be on my list.

Based on your amp selections, the R-N803, has room correction and using the available app can do full bass management for blending in your sub.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #7 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobolski View Post
Lastly is the phono preamp question. I can't find any consensus here. Is it needed if there's already a built in one? Is it that much better? How much is worth spending on it? Skip it entirely? Help lol!

That TT has a switchable (on/off) pre amp built in it. The auto lift feature is also switchable (on/off)
The Ortofon Red is a decent Cart to star with... the blue or black may be better but that is listener preference.

https://www.technics.com/us/products...-sl-1500c.html

State of Confusion
post #8 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 6679
Thumbs up

Quote:
So I finally talked my wife into letting me completely rebuild the 2.1 setup in my office for vinyl. My current system is the Audio-Technica AT120 turntable, Q Acoustics 3020i bookshelf speakers, SVS PB-1000 sub and the Onkyo TX-8020 receiver. It's fine but isn't all that loud and gets a bit distorted at higher volumes. All of it except the turntable is going to the garage in my shop space and a friend is taking the tt off my hands.

For the new setup I have a budget of $5,000 but I can stretch it to $7,500 if it makes or breaks it. I'd like to not be upgrading again...at least for a long time. I know everyone asks what it will be used for so it's 80% vinyl. The TV does get hooked up to it but solely for video games *only* if the TT isn't on so it's not a priority. Bluetooth for Spotify streaming would be a nice bonus but not at all a priority. Oh, and the bulk of my music listening is hip hop but with a large variety peppered in from pop to 80's to rock. With that said, here's where I'm at now.

For the turntable I'm getting the Technics SL-1500C. I debated this and the Rega Planar 3 for a long time. Ultimately I like the automatic features for speed and the end of the record. We listen from the back deck a lot and I don't always make it inside right away when a record ends. Plus, as a hip hop head, the look of it is very nostalgic and cool. I am planning on upgrading the cartridge to the Ortofon 2m Blue though. Any issues here?

For the subwoofer I'm sticking with SVS as I'm a big fan but going bigger. I'm getting the PB-4000 I think. I debated the PB16-Ultra but it seems like it might be overkill. Should I look at anything else?

The speakers are up for debate. I've been looking at the Wharfedale Evo 4.4's and the Dali Oberon 5's so far. They seem comparable and within budget. My office is an odd shape and open on one side if that makes a difference. And I sit about 6-8ft from the TV/speakers. Is either of these going to have a clear advantage? Should I go a totally different direction?

The place I'm most stuck is the receiver/amp/preamp selection. I've looked through tons and there's not really a clear answer. Right now I'm looking at the Marantz PM8006 integrated amp or the combo of the Emotiva BasX A-300 amp and BasX PT-100 preamp. I know Marantz makes solid products but lots of people say go separates and Emotiva seems to get great reviews. I also saw the Yamaha R-N803 and Outlaw Audio RR2160 recommended. Along with Cambridge Audio, NAD, Schiit, Peachtree and a bunch of others. I'm very lost here and don't know how they'll match to the speakers. Very open to suggestions here! If possible I'd love subwoofer control on there too but not a priority since it can be controlled from the SVS app.

I'm very open to input and suggestions here! I don't want to spend this money and then have it not work together or sound like it's not much better than my old setup. I want to do it right and then be done for a few years. So thanks in advance for any help!
How big is your office?? That PB-4000 is over kill.
post #9 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

I just noticed the room dimensions. I know your a big SVS fan but for music I'd suggest the Rhythmic F-12 sealed Servo Sub. Excellent w/music w/a lot of detail. Comes in at 1K less than the PB-4000. With the savings I'd upgrade the TT. For $500 you can get the Technics 1200GR. A far superior TT. Add a Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cart and a Rega MC phono. This would be a better allocation of funds. The Marantz seems fine. As far as speakers that's a personal choice.
post #10 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
For $5000 to $7500, I would look for a better pair of speakers. The pair of speakers is THE most important part of the system, I would look at $2500 to $3500/pair of speakers, now you can get into some high end speakers. You have to go listen to it, nobody really know what sound you like, we can only suggest what we like which means nothing to you.

As for me, I like Focal, for that kind of money, you can look at Focal Aria speakers new. If you are willing to buy used, then you can really get some high end speakers. I believe in used, I just spent $5500 on a used pair of Focal Alto Utopia, the top of Focal line, the Utopia line. I am so happy. Also check out Sonus Faber, these two are high end brands where the top models goes beyond $130K/pair.

Don't know anything about TT as I dump mine in the gabby can in around 92 when I first got a CD player......Sorry.

If you have the space, I would get separate power and preamp. There is a good reason for that. There will be a lot of new devices for source coming out, the preamp is more like fashion, I can't even keep up with the latest and greatest. If you buy an integrated amp, in a few years, they might have new and better source and link that your integrated amp don't have, then you are forced to buy new one. Like I don't even know anything newer than CD, if I want TOSLINK or other new ways for streaming music, I have to buy something new.

Power amp doesn't change, a high end power amp in the late 80s is as good as any power amp today. I know, I design power amps. Technology have not change on high end ones, they came out with class D, class H amps that have good enough quality cheaper. But the really good ones are still traditional class AB and class A that almost never change. You said you want something to last for a long time, this is the way to go.

Buy a good power amp, buy preamp like fashion that you are going to change in a few years. Most important is the get the good pair of speakers because the speakers defined the sound of your system. Everything else is to make the best of the speakers.

I can get the Focal Aria 936's on sale for almost half price right now at $1,400 a piece. Would that be worth it?

Any recommendations for amp and preamp combo?
post #11 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Devil 666 View Post
That TT has a switchable (on/off) pre amp built in it. The auto lift feature is also switchable (on/off)
The Ortofon Red is a decent Cart to star with... the blue or black may be better but that is listener preference.

https://www.technics.com/us/products...-sl-1500c.html

Yea, I jsut wasn't sure if it was good enough or if it was worth getting an external one. Should i just skip the external one?
post #12 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I just noticed the room dimensions. I know your a big SVS fan but for music I'd suggest the Rhythmic F-12 sealed Servo Sub. Excellent w/music w/a lot of detail. Comes in at 1K less than the PB-4000. With the savings I'd upgrade the TT. For $500 you can get the Technics 1200GR. A far superior TT. Add a Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cart and a Rega MC phono. This would be a better allocation of funds. The Marantz seems fine. As far as speakers that's a personal choice.

I looked at the Rythmik as well and a friend has one that sounds great. My problem was that none of the pre or integrated amps (or few) have dedicated sub outputs for control. With the SVS I can at least control it from the app. Not worth it? It also looks cool but that's not priority.

For the TT, that does look great. It doesn't have the built in phono preamp so I'd have to go external and the Rega was on my possible list. It also come with no cartridge. Would the Ortofon Blue MC be an upgrade over the Blue 2M Blue? Just curious since I've heard the 2M and think it's great but never heard the MC version. I can get the Rega preamp for either.
post #13 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I looked at the Rythmik as well and a friend has one that sounds great. My problem was that none of the pre or integrated amps (or few) have dedicated sub outputs for control. With the SVS I can at least control it from the app. Not worth it? It also looks cool but that's not priority.

For the TT, that does look great. It doesn't have the built in phono preamp so I'd have to go external and the Rega was on my possible list. It also come with no cartridge. Would the Ortofon Blue MC be an upgrade over the Blue 2M Blue? Just curious since I've heard the 2M and think it's great but never heard the MC version. I can get the Rega preamp for either.
The quintet is quieter than the MM Blue. You'll get less surface noise and more detail. Not a bad price at a little more than $500. Excellent tracker for older LP's. The 1200 has a heavier platter and motor is an upgrade. Also the tonearm is better quality. As far as subs are concerned you could also look at the REL T/7I. Excellent musical amp. REL has a special connection where you connect the sub to the speaker outputs on the back of your integrated. Same price as the Rhythmic.

Last edited by Class A; 06-16-2020 at 12:58 PM.
post #14 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 01:13 PM

I second the Rythmik, I have the F12SE( I think, the 12" with aluminum cone) not only it sounds amazing, it really looks good. I use it as end table.

Don't spend too much money on the sub, spend money on the pair of speakers. For music, sub is really NOT that important. Some speakers like mine have very strong bass already. Like I said, the two pairs of speakers you picked are not good enough for the budget you are willing to spend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rythmic picture.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2743530  
I.T. Guy likes this.

Last edited by alan0354; 06-16-2020 at 01:18 PM.
post #15 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I second the Rythmik, I have the F12SE( I think, the 12" with aluminum cone) not only it sounds amazing, it really looks good. I use it as end table.

Don't spend too much money on the sub, spend money on the pair of speakers. For music, sub is really NOT that important. Some speakers like mine have very strong bass already. Like I said, the two pairs of speakers you picked are not good enough for the budget you are willing to spend.

What about the Focal Aria 936's on sale for $1400 a piece? Would those be better in that range?

Also, the Rythmik has no app and the integrated amp doesn't have bass management. Still worth it?
post #16 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I can get the Focal Aria 936's on sale for almost half price right now at $1,400 a piece. Would that be worth it?

Check out Aria 948 also. There are a few people here own Aria. Go to this thread and ask. I know Torii has a pair of 948, mbroadus has a pair of 936. Talk to them. I can just say my two pairs sounds really good. Put it in another way, I use the Focal Spectral 913.1 for over 20 years, I like it so much I went and bought the Alto Utopia 2 months ago. Love it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...hread-274.html
I.T. Guy likes this.
post #17 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The Marantz has a phono input. You can try the TT there and determine if the soundstage is ok. Or you can get a external and use the cd inputs. Though the GR has no auto lift or a cart. Better TT yea I guess (tone arm for sure), but 500 more in price and possibly 200 to 300 for cart and headshell.

State of Confusion

Last edited by J Devil 666; 06-16-2020 at 03:54 PM.
post #18 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
What about the Focal Aria 936's on sale for $1400 a piece? Would those be better in that range?

Also, the Rythmik has no app and the integrated amp doesn't have bass management. Still worth it?
I forgot about the Rythmik, honestly, I don't even use any of those, I just hoke up to both speakers outputs to the Rythmik. I am not saying it's the right way, but the bass is sounding really good. There are adjustment at the back, don't depend on all the apts, I still believe in good old rotating adjustment. For audiophile, less is more, I just don't want all the digital stuffs in the signal path. That's the reason a lot of the preamp and integrated amp still using motorized volume pot rather than electronics volume.

To add to the Focal, I would say Aria 936 is definitely a better range. Aria is right smack in the middle in the Focal lineup. I would not go down to 700 or 800 series for your budget. For used ones, look out for the Focal Electra 1028Be.

Don't forget to check out Sonus Faber.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonus-Faber...Condition=3000
Make a really low offer.

Always offer low, like my alto was asking for $6750, I got it for $5500. Only thing about buying used, you have to research the price first, takes patience. I don't know what is the good price of this pair of Sonus Faber, I just use it as an example. YOu need to research the price, then offer a low price and they can always counter back.
I.T. Guy likes this.
post #19 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Rebuilding from Scratch

I love Focal sound so I say go for it but you better listen first and make sure you like it too It’s personal opinion after a few thousand bucks you have to like the sound and ignore us

The only speakers I liked more were Harbeth and ProAc - both out of my price range for my starter system.

Aria 906’s for $750 a pair at accessories4less
Bluesound Noe2i $500
Rebuilt 100 wpc amp $500
Good enough for now, will add a Rythmic 12”

With your budget get the Focal towers and a better amp like Hegel you should kill my system (which isn’t bad at all). Or go listen to some ProAc and Harbeth and I’ll live vicariously through you

Bottom line if you know you like the Aria sound you can’t go wrong. If you don’t know, go listen! I had my heart set on KEF LS50W and hated them in real life.

Last edited by I.T. Guy; 06-16-2020 at 05:57 PM.
post #20 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy View Post
I love Focal sound so I say hi for it but you better listen first and make sure you like it too It’s personal opinion after a few thousand bucks you have to like the sound and ignore us

The only speakers I liked more were Harbeth and ProAc - both out of my price range got my starter system.

Bluesound Noe2i $500
Rebuilt 100 wpc amp $500

With your budget get the Focal towers and a better amp like Hegel you should kill my system (which isn’t bad at all). Or go listen to some ProAc and Harbeth and I’ll live vicariously through you

Bottom line if you know you like the Aria sound you can’t go wrong. If you don’t know, go listen! I had my heart set on KEF LS50W and hated them in real life.

I own two pairs of Kef and even a top of the line Reference Series center. They are NOT at the same class as Focal. I had a pair of Kef Uni-Q floor stander with dual woofers, that was the top of the line of the Uni-Q series at the time. When I bought the Focal Spectral 913.1, it gave such a beat down on the Kef it's not even funny. Granted the Spectral is much more expensive, but it was a beat down. The difference is the sound stage, the 3D, the biggness. With the kef, you listen to the music, with the Spectral, you engulf in the music. I ended up giving the Kef to my stepson. I still have a pair of big bookshelf sitting around, not hooked up.

That's the reason I suggested go for even the middle of the road of the top brand, not the top models of a mid-fi brand. High end brand do trickle the knowledge down to their lower models. The Spectral is between the Aria and Sopra of todays models and it is that good already.
I.T. Guy likes this.
post #21 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:

The two amps I would recommend is Adcom GFA-565 monoblock, I don't think you can get new anymore, I've seen the lowest price of $1500/pair. That would be my first choice.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...A-565&_sacat=0

My second choice is Parasound A21. New is around $3000, I've seen used for $1500.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_odkw=GFA-565

Like I said, stay with separate power amp and preamp. I have no idea on preamp, I am old school, still on CD and DVD. Don't know anything about the new formats like streaming, TOSLINK and all the fancy stuffs.

I suggested the two amps because I actually studied the circuits of hundreds of power amps and I pick these two. I design power amps, that's why I looked into a lot of circuits. If I were to buy one without spending an arm or a leg, these two will be it.

If you get the Focals, from my experience with my two, Focal are not easy to drive speakers, they demand a beefy amp, not just any cheap amps.
I.T. Guy likes this.
post #22 of 40 Old 06-16-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy View Post
I love Focal sound so I say go for it but you better listen first and make sure you like it too It’s personal opinion after a few thousand bucks you have to like the sound and ignore us

The only speakers I liked more were Harbeth and ProAc - both out of my price range for my starter system.

Bluesound Noe2i $500
Rebuilt 100 wpc amp $500

You setup is very pretty. the background wall is very pretty.
I.T. Guy likes this.
post #23 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

On your integrated one of my local dealers carries Cambridge Audio. For $100 more than the Marantz I would look at the CXA81. Two nice features it has a sub out which allows you to easily hook up the Rhythmic F-12 sub. And if down the road you want more power it has pre outs to add an out board Amp. Makes the Integrated a preamp. Also being this is going to be 80% record set up. I would suggest you look at the Project Record Cleaning Machine. The majority of my 800 LP's are old and many purchased from used record stores. You'll get a better sound from your records and lengthen the life of your cart. One speaker I'll throw in the mix the Spendor A-2.

Last edited by Class A; 06-17-2020 at 05:28 AM.
post #24 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Before anyone starts making recommendations, there is a standard set of questions that need to be Asked and Answered.

- What are the Dimension of the Room?

- Where will the system be placed in the room?

- How far from the speaker will the Prime Listening location be?

- Budget -
which is apparently $5,000 up to $7,500

- What equipment is required from this budget?

Apparently - Turntable, Amp/Receiver, Speaker Pair - but will you need an additional Sub? Relative to the Sub, I suspect what you have will work fine. Though you could consider two of them.

Then we can break down a basic Stereo System just to lend perspective to the Budget. This is my take -

1x -1.5x = Turntable
1x = Network Player
1x = Media Player
1x = Amp/Receiver
2x = Speaker Pair

For you that would be -

1x - 1.5x = Turntable
1x = Amp/Receiver
2x = Speakers
---------------------------
4x = Total

Translated into money, that would be -

$1250 = Turntable
$1250 = Amp/Receiver
$2500 = Speaker Pair
----------------------------
$5,000 = Total

Keep in mind this simply establishes a Starting Perspective. When it comes time to actually buy there is tremendous room to deviate for this based on the equipment you find and your personal priorities.

The suggested Turntable Technics SL-1500C is about $1200, so that is right on budget -

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rkAJGx...00C-Black.html

Next, relative to that Amp/Receiver, what features do you need. If you are going for Floorstanding with Subwoofers, then you will definitely need Bass Management. There are a few Stereo Amps that have this, and if you would consider Pre-Amp/Power-Amp, then it can be implemented for a modest price. Otherwise, adding Bass Management can get a bit expensive. Also, Pre-Amp/Power-Amp can get expensive.

How much Power are you thinking - 100w/ch, 150w/ch, 300w/ch, Other?

Next, back to features, what will you need - Phono? MM? MC? Network Streaming? CD Player? DAC? Other?

Of course, Network Streaming can be purchased as a separate item, typically in the range of $500. Though you can spend up to $18,000 is you are so inclined. When we are working out the details on the need (or not) for Network Streaming, we can get into specifics.

The Devil is always in the Details.

The more we know about the Specifics of your space and your needs, the more accurate and helpful our recommendations will be.

The Answer to your question is in the answer to these questions.

Steve/buewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 06-17-2020 at 03:28 PM.
post #25 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've only heard the Focal 836, and they were impressive. Forward with huge sound stage, effortless bass, and effortless sound across the board. The music just hung in the air in front of me. Very impressive, and at half price, and absolute STEAL.

The Focal 936 don't go extremely deep, but considering the absolute clarity across the spectrum, you won't miss a few Hertz on the low end.

https://www.focal.com/us/high-fideli...a-900/aria-936

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foca...n_sheet_gb.pdf

39hz @ -3db and 32hz @ -6db.

Read my other comments though, there are a few details missing that would be helpful.

Mainly, if you plan to have a Sub with Speakers that go below about 45hz, then you will need Bass Management.

Steve/bluewizard
post #26 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: Wharfedale vs Other -

I have older Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 and I absolutely love them for music, very sweet and laid back ....but... not so much for Movies. Yes, they still work fine, but purely for Movies I think I would like a speaker with a bit more Mid/High presence, though likely that could be a bit much for Music.

Though do keep in mind that I am on the high side of life, so likely my high frequency hearing is not the greatest.

Now the EVO are far far far above my Diamonds, and the reviews on the EVO 4.2 Bookshelf indicate they have the absolute sweetest Mid/High. These should indeed be good speakers ...if... you want a speaker that is a bit laid back, but sweet and smooth as silk.

The Focal on the other hand, I did not consider Bright, but certainly more forward. That is, by metaphor, a laid back speaker pulls you into the Music, a forward speaker the Music reaches out to you.

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...tower-speakers

Both are likely beautiful speakers, but it becomes a matter of what you are looking for from that speaker, and the final cost.

Though I should have mentioned it in my other post, we have the matter of Room Acoustics. If the room is ultra-modern minimalist, the likely it already has bright acoustics, so probably better to have a more laid back speaker. However, if it is very cluttered and softly furnished with heavy curtains on the windows, it can probably handle some brighter speakers.

Do remember that CHEAP bright speaker can be like ice picks in your ears, but in the class of speaker we are talking about, even a speaker that would be considered bright is going to be stunningly clear and smooth, free from distortion.

The Focal while a bit forward, I would not, did not consider bright. Just very life-like with large sound stage and tremendous presence.

That said, I would expect the Wharfedale EVO to be similar, just a bit more laid back.

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...Tower-Speakers

There are many, consistently positive, reviews of the EVO 4.2 Bookshelf on YouTube, most emphasizing the absolute sweet and clear Mid/High.

Here is one video review with a Demo near the end -

Just trying to help.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 06-17-2020 at 12:15 PM.
post #27 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
$1250 = Turntable
$1250 = Amp/Receiver
$2500 = Speaker Pair
----------------------------
$5,000 = Total

Steve/buewizard
Ha ha, I am nudging him to his upper $7500 limit!!! Which take it to $3500 for a pair of speakers.

In my case, I can save money, I don't do TT. I did not know TT is that expensive. I remember back in the 80s, I could get a nice Technics or Dual TT with Shure eliptical needle cartridge for like $200 to $300. They jack up the price because it's rare? that's more than inflation.

Last edited by alan0354; 06-17-2020 at 12:15 PM.
post #28 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha ha, I am nudging him to his upper $7500 limit!!! Which take it to $3500 for a pair of speakers.
I used the Low Budget, but I gave a model to adjust any budget to the equipment price perspective.

1x - 1.5x = Turntable
1x = Amp/Receiver
2x = Speakers
4x = Total

So for a $7500 budget, that is

$1875 - 1.5x = Turntable
$1875 = Amp/Receiver
$3750 = Speaker Pair
4x = Total

Again, and I can't emphasize this too much, this simply establishes a Starting Perspective. Anyone can adjust this based on the equipment they find, and on their personal Priorities.

Steve/bluewizard
post #29 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
I used the Low Budget, but I gave a model to adjust any budget to the equipment price perspective.

1x - 1.5x = Turntable
1x = Amp/Receiver
2x = Speakers
4x = Total

So for a $7500 budget, that is

$1875 - 1.5x = Turntable
$1875 = Amp/Receiver
$3750 = Speaker Pair
4x = Total

Again, and I can't emphasize this too much, this simply establishes a Starting Perspective. Anyone can adjust this based on the equipment they find, and on their personal Priorities.

Steve/bluewizard
I absolutely agree with your calculation. It is a good starting point from my experience too. Just trying to nudge him higher.
post #30 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I absolutely agree with your calculation. It is a good starting point from my experience too. Just trying to nudge him higher.
He doesn't have to go all the way to $7500, he can adjust here and there both up and down to suit his needs. That's why I try to emphasize flexibility in the budget.

If we go like this -

1x = CD Player
1x = Amp
2x = Speaker Pair

A given used might not see value in a more expensive CD Player, so he might adjust like this.

0.5x = CD Player
1x = Amp
2.5x = Speakers

Or anyone of dozens of other combinations.

But I think my calculation does establish a pretty fair starting point. Though it gets much more difficult trying to do this for a AV system.

But no one should try to adhere to this too rigidly.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page