Upgraded power cables - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 464Likes

post #361 of 502 Old 06-30-2020, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2931 Post(s)
Liked: 3000
CharlesJ and Ryan Statz like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 502 Old 06-30-2020, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
My guess is it will be in the ballpark of their audio AC box: $5,000

This in their description suggests they have at least some similarities: "These dramatic improvements are derived from advances within Shunyata Research’s sister company, Clear Image Scientific. . . "

My AC box costs less than 1/000th the price, $4.79 with free shipping, and I would bet is audibly indistinguishable to everyone. . . . Hmm, I wonder if theirs has free shipping though? [Apparently it is free since it is >$50.]
I would love to know what their sales numbers are on that thing. Or maybe I don't want to know - it would probably be depressing.

[edit]
Ok, that cableco website is an affront to any sense of reason. $5k isn't even getting started there:
$20k Helix Power cord - For people with more money than sense.
m. zillch likes this.

Yamaha TSR-7790
Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5
Panasonic AE8000U
Polk SDA SRS 3.1TL, Polk center & surrounds, HSU VTF-2 MK5 subs
...and a bunch of other stuff

Last edited by redstang; 06-30-2020 at 09:50 PM.
post #363 of 502 Old 06-30-2020, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
I was just about to click to buy this $34,000 one (actually $39,300 for the 3m length I need. . .who on earth has speaker wires that are just 1m?) but then I saw they didn't throw in the shipping charge, so I didn't.

Also after reading this I guess they'd "refuse" my planned purchase for just consumer living room use because, um, well they say this sort of speaker wire isn't for that and they are the experts:

"Professional applications only. Not for general consumer or retail sale. Inquire directly for Pro Series authorized dealers or distributors. "

[Hmm, I wonder how the electrons flowing through the wire would know to act differently in my living room?]

Psst: This sales technique of convincing the consumer you (the dealer) will make a special, limited-time exception and make a sale to them even though they aren't a "pro" has a name but it escapes me at the moment. For now I'll just call it "slimy".

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
I was just about to click to buy this $34,000 one (actually $39,300 for the 3m length I need. . .who on earth has speaker wires that are just 1m?) but then I saw they didn't throw in the shipping charge, so I didn't.

Also after reading this I guess they'd "refuse" my planned purchase for just consumer living room use because, um, well they say this sort of speaker wire isn't for that and they are the experts:

"Professional applications only. Not for general consumer or retail sale. Inquire directly for Pro Series authorized dealers or distributors. "

[Hmm, I wonder how the electrons flowing through the wire would know to act differently in my living room?]

Psst: This sales technique of convincing the consumer you (the dealer) will make a special, limited time, exception and make a sale to them even though they aren't a "pro" has a name but it escapes me at the moment. For now I'll just call it "slimy".
Bad call. I think if you beg they might sell you. Maybe get a friend with a pro studio to buy them for you? Shame to pass on the attractive "25% Off - Introductory Offer".

Sent from my Nokia 1011 using Lapdog
post #365 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostyboy115 View Post
I would think that if these power cables did all that they are claimed to do, at least one audio manufacturer would be including them as the standard power cable with their equipment to give them an edge over their competition.
In some markets, including the US, D'Agostino Audio ships power cables from Transparent Audio with their products:

Quote:
Package contents

If any of the following items are missing, please contact your dealer:

1 Momentum Stereo amplifier encased in protective static cling vinyl
1 Transparent Audio AC power cord (some markets)
2 single-ended (RCA) to balanced (XLR) adapter connections
1 owner’s manual
1 warranty card
1 pair of white lifting gloves
1 microfiber cleaning cloth

http://cdn.dandagostino.com/document...tereo-2013.pdf

Last edited by kucharsk; 07-01-2020 at 01:34 AM.
post #366 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
http://clearimagescientific.com/products/cis-model-6/
How much does this baby cost and where can I get one (or ten)?
Wow, a company used a stock image, companies never do that...

Feel free to contact any of the doctors listed in their case studies and they or their institutions would be happy to verify the stories.

Rather than ask here, why not call and ask?

360-994-4258
[email protected]
AlexLac likes this.
post #367 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
So if say for a hypothetical example your grandmother (or other relative) is being fleeced by a con man selling her magic crystals to sprinkle on her forehead for hundreds of dollars (unbeknownst to her it's actually just colored table salt) which she believes will ward off heart disease (because of his deception), that's OK by you because she believes it and it makes her happy and the crystals applied to her forehead don't actually harm her?
Potentially messing with someone’s health is not the same as hobby accessories. Let’s say it was something more benign. If it wasn’t a financial burden to granny and it made her happy, no harm done.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #368 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Potentially messing with someone’s health is not the same as hobby accessories. Let’s say it was something more benign. If it wasn’t a financial burden to granny and it made her happy, no harm done.
You seem to think differently about grandma than me.

Actually whether the con is a financial burden to the victim or not is immaterial to if the act is a immoral/illegal. The hundreds of dollars she spends on the magic crystals (actually table salt) could theoretically be a huge chunk of her meager social security check and prevent her from buying medicine for other ills or it might be a trivial percent of her great wealth: Doesn't matter. Swindling people is immoral/illegal regardless of the victim's wealth.

Also I established grandma does not suffer from heart disease. The magic crystals are merely to keep her from developing it in the future. No bodily harm occurs.

And swindling people out of money itself is "harm done". You need not worry if the salt crystals she bounces off her forehead cause cancer or anything.

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2020 at 10:20 AM.
post #369 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Rather than ask here, why not call and ask?
You might have missed it but an email has already been sent so there's no need to call.

Do you know the price?
AlexLac likes this.
post #370 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
In some markets, including the US, D'Agostino Audio ships power cables from Transparent Audio with their products:
Heck, for the ridiculous (in my opinion) $30K price for one of their amps I'd expect it to ship with a free car, let alone a ~$65 (material cost ~<$6) power cord.
AlexLac likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2020 at 09:36 AM.
post #371 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I need your help Mr zilch.

Here's where I'm at:
Denali 6000S V2 Power Conditioner = $5,000
+
Professional Series Helix Power Cord 4 meter x 6 = $164,100.00

You think this should get me a good starter kit for my power chords/outlets needs?
OR
Should I hold for price quote on the CLEAR IMAGE SCIENTIFIC® CIS Model-6 so I would have a more professional setup ?

Need you input ASAP. I simply can't tolerate that dirty electrical power anymore.

Sent from my Motorola Dynatac 8000X using Headknock
m. zillch likes this.
post #372 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You think this should get me a good starter kit for my power chords/outlets needs?

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #373 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You seem to think differently about grandma than me.

Actually whether the con is a financial burden to the victim or not is immaterial to if the act is a crime. The hundreds of dollars she spends on the magic crystals (actually table salt) could theoretically be a huge chunk of her meager social security check and prevent her from buying medicine for other ills or it might be a trivial percent of her great wealth: Doesn't matter. Swindling people is a crime regardless of the victim's wealth.

Also I established grandma does not suffer from heart disease. The magic crystals are merely to keep her from developing it in the future. No bodily harm occurs.

And swindling people out of money itself is "harm done". You need not worry if the salt crystals she bounces off her forehead cause cancer or anything.
It’s not a crime. Do you understand the concept of buyer beware?

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #374 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That's why folks come to AVSForum.
m. zillch likes this.

post #375 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Need you input ASAP. I simply can't tolerate that dirty electrical power anymore.
But . . . but. . . real doctors have bought their products so they must be legit. Are you implying medical doctors receive no training in electrical engineering whatsoever and can potentially be conned with grossly over priced gear just like anyone else? . . . Oh. . . wait. Never mind.

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2020 at 10:18 AM.
post #376 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But . . . but. . . real doctors have bought their products so they must be legit. Are you implying medical doctors receive no training in electrical engineering and can potentially be conned with grossly over priced gear just like anyone else? . . . Oh. . . wait. Never mind.
Wrong quote from the wrong poster!
My fingers are dripping sweat over the Pay Now button awaiting your advice.

Sent from my Palm Treo 600 using Blutack
post #377 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Wrong quote from the wrong poster!
My fingers are dripping sweat over the Pay Now button awaiting your advice.
According to some people one of the best reasons to buy something is if it has a money back guarantee. . . paraphrased "Try it and see what you think. You can't go wrong." [Oddly these same people seem to routinely fail to mention the importance of conducting the evaluation under blind conditions. I wonder why?] of course if you click on "buy" and then they fold up shop and go out of business, so you have nobody to return your money. . . .
AlexLac likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2020 at 11:05 AM.
post #378 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
According to some people one of the best reasons to buy something is if it has a money back guarantee. . . of course if you click on "buy" and then they fold up shop and go out of business, so you ave nobody to return your money. . . .
Gotcha! Pulling the trigger right now. Woop.
The money back guarantee convinced me. No one I would trust more than the audiophile version of diet pills.
post #379 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
According to some people one of the best reasons to buy something is if it has a money back guarantee. . . paraphrased "Try it and see what you think. You can't go wrong.".
Kind of like the Joe Namath commercial where his "quote" about you being happy and his guarantee has been edited out now?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dGhJ/medicar...ing-joe-namath

post #380 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So here's my 2 cents FWIW, when I was putting together my home theater, I had an electrician put in 4 20 amp duplexes, and plugged my amps into separate duplexes from the digital components. Sounded good to me but nothing to compare it to.

Then I got talked into buying an EQUI=TECH 3RQ and I plugged just my digital components into it. Left the amps plugged direct into the wall. And didn't really notice a difference one way or the other.

Then the owner of the Company, Marty Glasband, a brilliant scientist (may he rest in peace) told me to plug everything into the Equitech for it to work properly so I did, and wow definitely a discernable audible favorable difference - sound was cleaner, crisp as i describe it and a much lower noise floor. No hiss at all. No negative impact on dynamics that I could tell. Everything was tigher if that's the right adjective and especially on the all important center channel -- a nice very noticeable improvement in intelligible dialogue.

That was 2011 and the Equitech is still there today in all its glory, never an issue, never powered down - the longest time I've owned a piece of HT equipment. My recco- do the research and buy an Equitech. You won't be disappointed.

Adz

Last edited by Adz523; 07-02-2020 at 10:02 AM.
post #381 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
According to some people one of the best reasons to buy something is if it has a money back guarantee. . . paraphrased "Try it and see what you think. You can't go wrong." [Oddly these same people seem to routinely fail to mention the importance of conducting the evaluation under blind conditions. I wonder why?] of course if you click on "buy" and then they fold up shop and go out of business, so you have nobody to return your money. . . .
Once again that is NOT what that poster was saying.

post #382 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Once again that is NOT what that poster was saying.
I was speaking in generalities, hence my use of the term "some people", and wasn't narrowly defining the discussion to this thread alone. I would find it hard to believe but could this thread be the very first time you've ever encountered the concept of retailers having a money back guarantee and that concept being suggested as a valid reason to buy something by others? Trust me, it comes up all the time in many threads in many forums.

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2020 at 11:22 PM.
post #383 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was speaking in generalities, hence my use of the term "some people", and wasn't narrowly defining the discussion to this thread alone. I would find it hard to believe but could this this thread be the very first time you've ever encountered the concept of retailers having a money back guarantee and that concept being suggested as a valid reason to buy something by others? Trust me, it comes up all the time in many threads in many forums.
I’m not criticizing money back guarantees. IMO you’ve made that sales benefit into a primary reason for the purchase when in reality it’s a side benefit. As someone who has had a 40 year career in sales, that sort of perk is not even mentioned unless it’s needed to help close the sale.

post #384 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
. As someone who has had a 40 year career in sales, that sort of perk is not even mentioned unless it’s needed to help close the sale.
I had a decades long career in sales too. Specifically high end (and mid-fi) audio. Out of curiosity what did you sell?
post #385 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had a decades long career in sales too. Specifically high end (and mid-fi) audio. Out of curiosity what did you sell?
I currently own a tool franchise but for most of my career I was in industrial sales selling to user and OEM accounts.

post #386 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
I heard of that.

So, a pyramid scheme is legal?

Fortune telling and stealing with it legal?

If everything is buyer beware, we can eliminate a bunch from the legal codes, right? Lots of lawyers will be out of work, no?
post #387 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
I heard of that.

So, a pyramid scheme is legal?

Fortune telling and stealing with it legal?

If everything is buyer beware, we can eliminate a bunch from the legal codes, right? Lots of lawyers will be out of work, no?
Come to earth dude. Supplements not proven by the FDA are legal to sell as an example. The decision is up to the buyer.

post #388 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 08:43 PM

A >40 Billion dollar industry and yes there are laws but the resources necessary to clamp down on all of the offenders isn't there/ nor possible. They are overwhelmed.

The con men often get around the rules by never stating things like "This cures impotence" and instead ambiguously state "This improves maleness".

"Cancer got you down? Well now Cancer-X is here, finally, so you can say "Good-bye cancer!"

See this supplement helps you verbally speak the words "Bye-bye cancer" but it does nothing to stop, treat, or prevent cancer.

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2020 at 09:42 PM.
post #389 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post
So here's my 2 cents FWIW, when I was putting together my home theater, I had an electrician put in 4 20 amp duplexes, and plugged my amps into separate duplexes from the digital components. Sounded good to me but nothing to compare it to.

Then I got talked into buying an EQUI=TECH 3RQ and I plugged just my digital components into it. Left the amps plugged direct into the wall. And didn't really notice a difference one way or the other.

Then the owner of the Company, Marty Glasband, a britlliant scientist (may he rest in peace) told me to plug everything into the Equitech for it to work properly so I did, and wow definitely a discernable audible favorable difference - sound was cleaner, crisp as i describe it and a much lower noise floor. No hiss at all. No negative impact on dynamics that I could tell. Everything was tigher if that's the right adjective and especially on the all important center channel -- a nice very noticeable improvement in intelligible dialogue.

That was 2011 and the Equitech is still there today in all its glory, never an issue, never powered down - the longest time I've owned a piece of HT equipment. My recco- do the research and buy an Equitech. You won't be disappointed.
Sounds like you might have had a ground loop creating that noise/hiss with multiple things plugged directly into the wall into different outlets. That has happened to me. Have you tried any other single power distribution component costing less than $8k? Because I've fixed issues like that using one that cost $150.
D Bone and m. zillch like this.

Yamaha TSR-7790
Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5
Panasonic AE8000U
Polk SDA SRS 3.1TL, Polk center & surrounds, HSU VTF-2 MK5 subs
...and a bunch of other stuff
post #390 of 502 Old 07-01-2020, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Come to earth dude. ....
Actually, I am transmitting from planet you call Mars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page