post #151 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Funny, I'm proud of how little I spend on things like audio, watches, etc. [Yet have great quality.] Am I the only one here that thinks this way?
LOL, now please don't tell us you drink 'two buck chuck' a well !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 6679
Thumbs up

Quote:
Funny, I'm proud of how little I spend on things like audio, watches, etc. [Yet have great quality.] Am I the only one here that thinks this way?
We all make our own life choices. No right or wrong. I'm happy and you're happy. Bottom line.
post #153 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Man, the stay at home order really drives you guys up the wall. The power cable thread and this. Can't even refresh fast enough to keep up the posts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
You’re my hero. I’m the same. Tube amp, preamp and phono stage. TT is VPI with Dynavector 10x5.
I'm with you guys as well although I have gone back to SS amps(Pass) but retain my tubes in pre and phono-pre (ARC LS28 and Fosgate Signature)
Class A likes this.
post #155 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6780 Post(s)
Liked: 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
LOL, now please don't tell us you drink 'two buck chuck' a well !
I had no idea what that even is but I just looked it up. [It's cheap Trader Joes wine for anyone who needs to know.]

I have performed double blind tests with my crew on tequila, gin, vodka, and wine (specifically Champagne) and there definitely are differences.

I also think I am the only person here who can document they've performed (and designed) a double blind test on LP vs CD, the thread's actual topic. To me the whole point of discussing audio is to scientifically test what is and isn't audible, but sadly it seems for many others they just want to brag about how much they spent.
RagtopFE likes this.
post #156 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 11:18 AM

^Oops. Link fixed.
post #157 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2908 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I'm probably the distortion King. I have a Luxman PD-171 TT almost 7K w/a Luxman CL38U SE all tube preamp w/a built in three tube phono. Also a very nice Dynavector 20xl2 cart. The best distorted sound I ever listened to.

Hmm...I dunno. Might have you beat. I normally run my turntable through my CJ tube pre amp and tube amplifiers.
But sometimes I run it through one of my favorite amps that I have sitting in my system, the old Eico HF-81:

https://www.stereophile.com/integrat...ico/index.html

Measurements:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

Not exactly the most neutral amp in the world :-)
Class A likes this.
post #158 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Ha. We have a cheapskate infiltrating the ranks ;-)

I've noticed a pretty common theme among those who tend towards the "objectivism" spectrum (that is more scientific/measurement based) of buying cheap and being proud of it (especially being proud for not having been sucked in to paying more money like the rest of the audiophile crowd). It's not perfectly consistent, but it's fairly prevalent.

Which is perfectly fine of course. I feel that way often when it comes to the tweakier audiophile stuff.

Personally though I've spent significant money on my hi fi gear it's not something I think about in terms of "pride."

In fact, I prefer not to think about or talk about the price of gear with people who may take an interest in my system.
I'd be more embarrassed than proud to talk prices; it would seem pretty nuts to the average joe.

(Although, that said, a significant portion of my friends and musician pals do know my hi-fi is pretty expensive, but they "get it" when they listen to it and don't think I'm nuts).
RagtopFE likes this.
post #159 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Ha. We have a cheapskate infiltrating the ranks.
That word can have several negative connotations. I prefer "frugal".

Also don't misconstrue that I don't value quality. [Not you, but some people can't understand how anything that's not expensive can possibly be good.]

Out of curiosity is there anything you buy which you would describe yourself as frugal or is everything just like your audio buying habits?
AlexLac likes this.
post #160 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Also don't misconstrue that I don't value quality. [Not you, but some people can't understand how anything that's not expensive can possibly be good.]
Quality is extremely important to me, not that I'm claiming I own "the best I know of" or anything.
post #161 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Hmm...I dunno. Might have you beat. I normally run my turntable through my CJ tube pre amp and tube amplifiers.
OT - great taste .
Class A and RagtopFE like this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Casablanca IVa Dirac Set Up Help HERE And some interesting audio diagrams.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #162 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
That word can have several negative connotations. I prefer "frugal".

Out of curiosity is there anything you buy which you would describe yourself as frugal or is everything just like your audio buying habits?

Just like most people I apportion my money to my interests; frugal in some areas, more extravagant in others.
Even in my audio hobby I spend a bunch on speakers and amps, but skimp on cables and "power conditioners" and all that. My home theater would be a similar combination of extravagant and frugal purchases (I'm still on my relatively cheap Denon AV receiver, now over 10 years old! Pretty long in the tooth for an AV receiver).

I'm a foodie so "extravagant" sometimes in dining out. But I'm not in to cars, so I tend to spend far less money - just get me from A to B - on cars than many other dudes. (Or watches....I wear the cheapest digital watch I can find).

So, like most humans...it depends.
post #163 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 12:12 PM

Interesting. I would have guessed "watch" and "audio" usually go hand in hand. Guess not always.
---

My watch is probably close to "as expensive as they get". . . as Casios go.

Strike that. I just looked into it. I thought Casios for about 300-400 were as expensive as they get. I was way off.
Peja likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-28-2020 at 12:22 PM.
post #164 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Interesting. I would have guessed "watch" and "audio" usually go hand in hand. Guess not always.
---

Strike that. I just looked into it. I thought Casios for about 300-400 were as expensive as they get. I was way off.
I don't trust myself to know the difference, so I stick with what sounds fine to me with as little spending as possible. Also I stopped wearing a watch 20 years ago.

Sent from Uranus using Laptop
Peja, drh3b and Will P like this.
post #165 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 6679
Thumbs up

A few years ago I mentioned the motivation for purchasing the Luxman TT. Around almost now 5 years I was diagnosed w/stage 4 cancer I had 2 melanomas. As a result I ended up w/two major surgeries one for 2 hours and the second for 5 1/2 hours. Then there was over a year of cancer infusions. I was pricked more times than a Voodoo doll. During that time I stopped by my dealer and I told him if I ever make it I'm going to get that TT. Well after x-rays infusions and endless blood test. I planted the flag on the mountain. I got the good news from my oncologist two days before my birthday. On my birthday I went to my dealer and ordered the TT. He gave me much more than I deserved for my Linn TT. It's not only an excellent sounding TT. But for me it also represents what I went through. One thing I learned life is short live your dreams. Don't live in the land of Coulda', Woulda', Shoulda'.
post #166 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
I don't trust myself to know the difference, so I stick with what sounds fine to me with as little spending as possible. Also I stopped wearing a watch 20 years ago.

+1 to both. I would much rather know value and not know cost than the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Audio included.
m. zillch and AlexLac like this.
post #167 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had no idea what that even is but I just looked it up. [It's cheap Trader Joes wine for anyone who needs to know.]
exactly, life is too short to drink cheap wine ........

Quote:
I also think I am the only person here who can document they've performed (and designed) a double blind test on LP vs CD, the thread's actual topic. To me the whole point of discussing audio is to scientifically test what is and isn't audible, but sadly it seems for many others they just want to brag about how much they spent.
while interesting I suppose, I prefer to enjoy both formats.

It does somewhat crack me up when I come to the various audio forums and see certain members with umpteen thousands of posts, must not have a life let alone time to enjoy music .......
Frostyboy115 likes this.
post #168 of 225 Old 06-28-2020, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If I still had my turntable and my albums, I would probably set it back up again just for the nostalgia and, who know, I might even be surprised that I still liked it as much as I did when I was younger. But I don't have the disposable $$$$ to get back into it again from scratch these days especially when I rarely even listen to CDs anymore. Back in my vinyl days, I had a tiny 19" tv and only 4 tv stations so I had more time to listen to music. Today, my video options are almost overwhelming so I tend to do my of my music listening late in the night using (Roku)streaming apps and headphones. Maybe I need better headphones because I cannot listen to them for more than an hour or so before they start to bother me....but that's another thread topic for the 'headphones' section!
Class A and RagtopFE like this.
post #169 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
---

And here I thought it was audio and cars that went hand in hand .

As for watches, I "can't" wear them. I feel my wrists are too small for any adult male watch face. Heck, they are probably too small for a feminine watch, as well . Though, my wife, who is 4 inches shorter than me, has similarly sized wrists. So, I suppose I could rock one of her Movados, .
RickD1225 likes this.
post #170 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked: 3009
Watches, cars and egos. Usually go hand and hand no matter size of your or a SO's wrists.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #171 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Watches, cars and egos. Usually go hand and hand no matter size of your or a SO's wrists.
I suppose...but, I don't like to think I bought my car to satisfy my ego.... If anything, it wound of having the exact opposite effect on me; the first time I took it on track I realized how incompetent I was to handle it as well as the instructor who blew me (and all us newbs) away in a Corolla S. A humbling experience, for sure.

Of course, how I feel doesn't stop people from thinking I bought it simply because my pole (do I do it right this time, ) and wrist sizes are aligned, .
post #172 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked: 3009
Don't know or want to know about your pole and wrist being aligned.

I never to took a car to track to be humiliated or prove my driving skills or my car's performance.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #173 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't know or want to know about your pole and wrist being aligned.

I never to took a car to track to be humiliated or prove my driving skills or my car's performance.
LOL, well at least you're not judging or anything. I just did it to have a little fun with a performance vehicle that I bought because it was a performance vehicle. What I learned was I don't drive as well as I thought I did and that I'd need much more practice to be considered remotely good.

Anyway, that's enough off-topic. To restore topic -- I may have bought my Technics SL-1200G to satiate my "ego", or maybe just because I had the money and wanted to be "sure" I was getting "the best" direct-drive table I could for it. In retrospect, maybe I should've just bought a used MK5 or something.... Either way, when I find a clean vinyl to put on it, it does sound surprisingly close to digital. Though, I find it occasionally lacking in sub-bass.
post #174 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Either way, when I find a clean vinyl to put on it, it does sound surprisingly close to digital. Though, I find it occasionally lacking in sub-bass.
Not sure if you realize this already but just for the general record. . .

All that a turntable does is spin. Some with better accuracy (even under adverse conditions) than others, and with differing degrees of noise/rumble isolation, but if there's something lacking in some section of the bass that would be either embedded in the grooves themselves or be related to the cartridge, maybe the cabling/loading, and/or the phono preamp stage. Turntables, that is, don't have a "frequency response" or tonal balance as some may call it.

Turntables, ideally, don't make any sound. That's the job of the cartridge.

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-30-2020 at 03:41 PM.
post #175 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
What does that mean? I have a lot of nice watches but none would be noticed by anyone other than a watch hobbyist and I drive VW GTI which is certainly not a car to get noticed. I know a lot of watch hobbyists and very few buy them to impress others. Such blanket statements are shallow.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #176 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
What does that mean? I have a lot of nice watches but none would be noticed by anyone other than a watch hobbyist . . . I know a lot of watch hobbyists and very few buy them to impress others.
Fill me in. I'm not a watch guy. Why do they actually buy them. Thanks.
post #177 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Fill me in. I'm not a watch guy. Why do they actually buy them. Thanks.
Because we are hobbyists who like mechanical watches. It’s no different than any other hobby. Do you buy hifi to impress others?

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #178 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Because we are hobbyists who like mechanical watches. It’s no different than any other hobby.
My limited experience with other hobbies though is that they usually do buy/collect them for the purpose of having other people see them and/or know that they have them though.
post #179 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Do you buy hifi to impress others?
Me? No.
post #180 of 225 Old 06-30-2020, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
I agree 100%. There is actually a reason why it is so awful. This documentary was very informative on the reasons why modern music is awful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII
Thanks, but I've seen that as have been a Thoughty2 subscriber for a while. Rick Beato has a good one too, something like "Why computers have killed music".

Others who haven't seen them should watch both, especially if they have nothing to do with the production side of music.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page