Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-27-2020, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Looking for a pre amp

My system is primarily for HT/gaming, but I've been finding myself listening to more and more music lately. Set up is:

JTR 212 RTs
Dual Rythmik G25s
Marantz 8805
Krell Chorus 5200
BS Node 2i

I'm looking to improve my 2 Channel, and don't want to go w/ monoblocks...yet. So, I think my next option is adding a dedicated pre. I was considering the McIntosh C2600, but that seems like overkill for my usage. I'm leaning towards getting an Anthem STR pre amp - heard it once and enjoyed it. Thoughts on this? I don't listen super loud right now (moving in 4-6 months) and I'm primarily punk/hip hop/rock.

If not STR, thoughts on other press? Max budget is $3-4K. Thanks in advance!

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs (x4)
Subwoofer: Dual Rythmik G25HPSE
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED
Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30 - Samsung Q8 LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I recommend the Anthem STR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
My system is primarily for HT/gaming, but I've been finding myself listening to more and more music lately. Set up is:

JTR 212 RTs
Dual Rythmik G25s
Marantz 8805
Krell Chorus 5200
BS Node 2i

I'm looking to improve my 2 Channel, and don't want to go w/ monoblocks...yet. So, I think my next option is adding a dedicated pre. I was considering the McIntosh C2600, but that seems like overkill for my usage. I'm leaning towards getting an Anthem STR pre amp - heard it once and enjoyed it. Thoughts on this? I don't listen super loud right now (moving in 4-6 months) and I'm primarily punk/hip hop/rock.

If not STR, thoughts on other press? Max budget is $3-4K. Thanks in advance!
I have the Anthem STR Pre and enjoy it a lot. In particular, it's superb at integrating subs. It has great ease of use, an attractive and usable display, and some features not found in many preamps these days, including ARC (of course), but also easy-to-use tone controls. The DSP in this unit is the most transparent I've tried, and I've tried many.

Is it perfect? No, ARC Genesis software has a few bugs that Anthem is slowly whacking away at. To put this into perspective, I've owned 4 DSP preamps, and each had some bugs. But I'm a perfectionist.

Overall, I think the STR is a remarkably good product -- great sound, great appearance, great features, great ease of use -- and highly recommendable. I considered eight different DSP preamps, some of them considerably more expensive, and after a lengthy audition, I bought the STR.

Of course, I would not recommend anyone buy any DSP preamp without the possibility of return and refund if it doesn't suit you during a home trial.

Enjoy!

Mike (Portland, Oregon)
Spoiler!

Last edited by Mike in NC; 06-28-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typos
post #3 of 3 Old 06-28-2020, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
I have the Anthem STR Pre and enjoy it a lot. In particular, it's superb at integrating subs. It has great ease of use, an attractive and usable display, and some features not found in many preamps these days, including ARC (of course), but also easy-to-use tone controls. The DSP in this unit is the most transparent I've tried, and I've tried many.

Is it perfect? No, ARC Genesis software has a few bugs that Anthem is slowly whacking away at. To put this into perspective, I've owned 4 DSP preamps, and each had some bugs. But I'm a perfectionist.

Overall, I think the STR is a remarkably good product -- great sound, great appearance, great features, great ease of use -- and highly recommendable. I considered eight different DSP preamps, some of them considerably more expensive, and after a lengthy audition, I bought the STR.

Of course, I would not recommend anyone buy any DSP preamp without the possibility of return and refund if it doesn't suit you during a home trial.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the input! As much as I want to try ARC for sub integration, I'm not overly concerned and I spent a lot of time w/ a Mini DSP and have it sounding pretty amazing for my room. I will be trying the new anthem HT processors when it comes out though, so will use ARC then

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs (x4)
Subwoofer: Dual Rythmik G25HPSE
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED
Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30 - Samsung Q8 LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page