• 1 Post By callas01

post #1 of 16 Old 06-30-2020, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Streaming Amp

Hi
I am in need of a change to my 2ch stereo. I currently have B&W 802D2s and Classe CP800/CA-M300 monoblocks. I am using a Sonos to stream Tidal which is the main weak point that started me down this upgrade path. I recently moved the stereo to the basement to free up a bedroom and like the idea of taking my box count down to 1. I need MC phono, roon support, and decent power as when I have the house to myself I can get carried away with the volume. I like the idea of room correction though am not married to it but I did move to a basement that is irregularly shaped with drop ceiling and carpet and pad over concrete. The system sounds great while playing vinyl though a lot is desired while streaming tidal. I do have a CD player that is rarely used though I would like to retain the capability. Through a fairly dedicated search though by no means exhaustive I have come across the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 and the Hegel H390. They both intrigue me and I am going to find time on a vacation in late July to try to demo them. I have also given thought to just updating my streamer to something like a Lumin T2 but the idea of a complete shake up is way sexier. My budget is around $7000 plus whatever I can get for my gear on the secondary market. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-30-2020, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
You can look at the Naim Uniti Nova. Built-in streaming of a lot of sources, Bluetooth, HDMI ARC, roon ready - you’ll want to hear it, the 80wpc is extremely powerful. Only other box you will need is your phone preamp.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #3 of 16 Old 07-01-2020, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 232
The recently announced NAD M33 is similar and in the same general price range ($5500) as the Nova. Naim definitely has the edge on the giant cool volume knob front, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-01-2020, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thank you for the response. I will put both the NAD and the NAIM on my demo list. I find the NAD especially intriguing because I have heard great things about Dirac room correction.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-02-2020, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by showcattleguy View Post
Thank you for the response. I will put both the NAD and the NAIM on my demo list. I find the NAD especially intriguing because I have heard great things about Dirac room correction.
Please post your impressions of your demos, particularly the Lyndorf and the NAD.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #6 of 16 Old 07-03-2020, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
You can look at the Naim Uniti Nova. Built-in streaming of a lot of sources, Bluetooth, HDMI ARC, roon ready - you’ll want to hear it, the 80wpc is extremely powerful. Only other box you will need is your phone preamp.

I received my Naim Uniti Nova last weekend and it’s fantastic. I compared it with the Hegel H390, McIntosh MA8900, McIntosh MA352 and Luxman integrated with Qutest DAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pride9 and russ_777 like this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Naim Uniti Nova, Vintage Marantz Model 22, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i, TEAC A-4070 Tape Deck
Focal Aria 936/CC900, B&W M-1, SVS SB-3000, MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #7 of 16 Old 07-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Those Naim uniti boxes are so nice looking, probably my favorite current design for audio components.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-04-2020, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
I received my Naim Uniti Nova last weekend and it’s fantastic. I compared it with the Hegel H390, McIntosh MA8900, McIntosh MA352 and Luxman integrated with Qutest DAC.

Whats your thoughts on the Hegel H390 vs Naim Uniti Nova?

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #9 of 16 Old 07-04-2020, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Quote:
You can look at the Naim Uniti Nova. Built-in streaming of a lot of sources, Bluetooth, HDMI ARC, roon ready - you’️ll want to hear it, the 80wpc is extremely powerful. Only other box you will need is your phone preamp.

I received my Naim Uniti Nova last weekend and it’️s fantastic. I compared it with the Hegel H390, McIntosh MA8900, McIntosh MA352 and Luxman integrated with Qutest DAC.

Nice!
What Focal speakers are you driving?

I had a Star, traded it in for a SN3. Driving Dynaudio Contour 20s.
mbroadus likes this.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #10 of 16 Old 07-05-2020, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
Whats your thoughts on the Hegel H390 vs Naim Uniti Nova?

Love the Nova...the Hegel H390 is very good, has a tube-ish warmth to it. The Nova had better rhythm and timing and the sound was cleaner and more precise but not clinical. With the kind of music I listen to (Foo Fighters, Muse, New Order, Pearl Jam, Tool, NIN) the Nova did a better job keeping pace.

Anthem MRX-720, Naim Uniti Nova, Vintage Marantz Model 22, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i, TEAC A-4070 Tape Deck
Focal Aria 936/CC900, B&W M-1, SVS SB-3000, MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #11 of 16 Old 07-05-2020, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice!
What Focal speakers are you driving?

I had a Star, traded it in for a SN3. Driving Dynaudio Contour 20s.

Aria 936...plan to move up to the Sopra 2 in 2 years.

post #12 of 16 Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Hi
I am in need of a change to my 2ch stereo. I currently have B&W 802D2s and Classe CP800/CA-M300 monoblocks. I am using a Sonos to stream Tidal which is the main weak point that started me down this upgrade path. I recently moved the stereo to the basement to free up a bedroom and like the idea of taking my box count down to 1. I need MC phono, roon support, and decent power as when I have the house to myself I can get carried away with the volume. I like the idea of room correction though am not married to it but I did move to a basement that is irregularly shaped with drop ceiling and carpet and pad over concrete. The system sounds great while playing vinyl though a lot is desired while streaming tidal. I do have a CD player that is rarely used though I would like to retain the capability. Through a fairly dedicated search though by no means exhaustive I have come across the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 and the Hegel H390. They both intrigue me and I am going to find time on a vacation in late July to try to demo them. I have also given thought to just updating my streamer to something like a Lumin T2 but the idea of a complete shake up is way sexier. My budget is around $7000 plus whatever I can get for my gear on the secondary market. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
I've been passively looking at similar boxes for the 2 channel part of my system. From what little I've read the Naims have the best user experience as far as user interface, integrated access to music across multiple streaming services, etc. My main issue with the Nova and the Atom is the power amp and lack of room correction.

What I like about the M33 are: (1) Purifi-based PA with dynamic headroom; (2) Dirac Live with sub management; (3) good OS for streaming (BluSound); (4) Roon ready; (5) has eARC HDMI interface in case you have a TV in the room but not a full blown surround sound audio setup. What I see as a risk is the track record so far of the C568 which is a similar preamp/streamer that has had multiple issues. I'd think they'd have to be reusing some of the software services developed for it.

The Lyngdorf is the only other thing out there with that set of functionality I can think of in that price range. miniDSP recently came out with a "Power" version of their SHD device that adds a power amplifier to the SHD. I like the SHD but think I'd go with an external PA unless I was looking for a pure desktop utility type of solution. The SHD and its DAC-less twin, the SHD Studio, are very inexpensive for what they provide.

Revel Ultima Salon2 x2; Paradigm Servo-15; Denon AVR-4311CI; Apple MacMini; Audirvana 3.5; Spotify Premium; Amazon Music HD; Sony UBP-X1000ES; Roku Ultra; Vizio 75 PQX, JVC RS40; DaLite 102" screen; Gallo Reference 3.5 x4; Gallo Strada II x1; Denon AVR-3805
-----------------
Yamaha ASR-7850; KEF LS50 x2; HSU ULS-15II; Panasonic 55GT30; Roku 4
post #13 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post
I've been passively looking at similar boxes for the 2 channel part of my system. From what little I've read the Naims have the best user experience as far as user interface, integrated access to music across multiple streaming services, etc. My main issue with the Nova and the Atom is the power amp and lack of room correction.

What I like about the M33 are: (1) Purifi-based PA with dynamic headroom; (2) Dirac Live with sub management; (3) good OS for streaming (BluSound); (4) Roon ready; (5) has eARC HDMI interface in case you have a TV in the room but not a full blown surround sound audio setup. What I see as a risk is the track record so far of the C568 which is a similar preamp/streamer that has had multiple issues. I'd think they'd have to be reusing some of the software services developed for it.

The Lyngdorf is the only other thing out there with that set of functionality I can think of in that price range. miniDSP recently came out with a "Power" version of their SHD device that adds a power amplifier to the SHD. I like the SHD but think I'd go with an external PA unless I was looking for a pure desktop utility type of solution. The SHD and its DAC-less twin, the SHD Studio, are very inexpensive for what they provide.
What problem do you have with the Naim Atom and Nova A/B amps? Naim is known to be very conservative regarding power ratings.

The Nova also has HDMI ARC and Roon Ready. I use room correction for home theater or multi-channel music but not for 2 channel audio.

I was looking at the M33 also and have a friend that is a NAD dealer and is waiting for them to become available so we can compare the two.

post #14 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
What problem do you have with the Naim Atom and Nova A/B amps? Naim is known to be very conservative regarding power ratings.

The Nova also has HDMI ARC and Roon Ready. I use room correction for home theater or multi-channel music but not for 2 channel audio.

I was looking at the M33 also and have a friend that is a NAD dealer and is waiting for them to become available so we can compare the two.
Only an "issue" in that I've seen one number for each amp (40 and 80) and have not yet read a thorough set of measurements. So the issue is my lack of information at this point. Because I have not done a deep dive on either unit, the modest power output numbers are a concern given the prices.

Revel Ultima Salon2 x2; Paradigm Servo-15; Denon AVR-4311CI; Apple MacMini; Audirvana 3.5; Spotify Premium; Amazon Music HD; Sony UBP-X1000ES; Roku Ultra; Vizio 75 PQX, JVC RS40; DaLite 102" screen; Gallo Reference 3.5 x4; Gallo Strada II x1; Denon AVR-3805
-----------------
Yamaha ASR-7850; KEF LS50 x2; HSU ULS-15II; Panasonic 55GT30; Roku 4
post #15 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Hi

Have you considered the Bluesound Powernode 2i? Not sure if it meets all of your requirements, but I think so... “Only” 60W/channel though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer SX-680 receiver (soon to be replaced by Bluesound Powernode 2i)
Yamaha NS-A2835 speakers (soon to be replaced by new towers)
Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Xiaomi Mi Box S Android TV box
post #16 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post
Only an "issue" in that I've seen one number for each amp (40 and 80) and have not yet read a thorough set of measurements. So the issue is my lack of information at this point. Because I have not done a deep dive on either unit, the modest power output numbers are a concern given the prices.
I don't get that lost in the numbers since Naim has a reputation for being conservative regarding wattage. I heard the Atom when demoing my current set of speakers and it sounded fantastic. When I returned to listen to it again, I wanted something that had a little more power since I'll be using it in home theater mode often and demoed the Nova, Hegel H390, Luxman, McIntosh MA8900 and McIntosh MA352. The Nova by far sounded the best of the bunch, followed by the Luxman (with Qutest DAC), Hegel H390 and the MA352/8900. I've tried to turn the Nova up to half power (50 on the knob) and its too much for my small space. I don't normally turn the knob past 33 for normal listening and it may be at 7-8 watts. I've heard many products that measure terribly but sound fantastic so don't get to caught up in the measurements, let your ears decide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page