Are DIY AT curved screens ... dead? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bud16415

post #1 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
Are DIY AT curved screens ... dead?

I’ve got my RS400 and a panamorph 480 lens, currently with my 10+ year old DW laminate 130” Diagonal scope screen.

Just sold my front soundstage paradigm floorstanders and horizontal center, will be building diysg HTM-12’s as front soundstage, in a baffle wall for AT screen.

So my quandary.... build another curved screen, AT this time, this one slightly bigger 140” or so and use the 480 lens, or ditch the lens and memory zoom with flat AT screen?

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
To me it would depend most on if you can take the hit in brightness. The DW with curve and adding in the extra brightness the lens provided might be quite a bit more light than a DIY AT plus the extra screen size. What gain is the new AT material?

Then there is the attraction to the look of the curved screen.

I of course if redoing it all would go for a CIH+IMAX setup with zoom and AT screen material.
mtbdudex likes this.

Bud
post #3 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I agree with, bud, you are losing brightness just by going AT, regardless of size, so the curved screen with lens will bring you back to viewable range. Since you already have the equipment and the experience, I suggest you build one. It will have to be a different design, I assume, if you used laminate for a solid surface before.

Then post your progress so you can inspire me to get to work. And is there a thread for your laminate build?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Are DIY AT curved screens ... dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I agree with, bud, you are losing brightness just by going AT, regardless of size, so the curved screen with lens will bring you back to viewable range. Since you already have the equipment and the experience, I suggest you build one. It will have to be a different design, I assume, if you used laminate for a solid surface before.

Then post your progress so you can inspire me to get to work. And is there a thread for your laminate build?

My signature has hot links to it, https://www.avsforum.com/forum/174-d...l#post15186244

and other builds / stuff I’ve done...

Yea, I like the anamorphic lens plus curved screen ...

Just FYI, I held a gtg this Saturday 4/13 at my home, I’ll be going with the big HTM-12’s for my front 3 behind the AT screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mtbdudex; 04-17-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-17-2019, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
To me it would depend most on if you can take the hit in brightness. The DW with curve and adding in the extra brightness the lens provided might be quite a bit more light than a DIY AT plus the extra screen size. What gain is the new AT material?

Then there is the attraction to the look of the curved screen.

I of course if redoing it all would go for a CIH+IMAX setup with zoom and AT screen material.

Unfortunately my ceiling height does not lend me to do CIH + IMAX .... yea that would be the cat's meow for sure.
When's your next HT major upgrade, seriously would you do it?

So many movies are in scope, while so few in IMAX .... just return on time and money investment ...
post #6 of 6 Old 04-17-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Unfortunately my ceiling height does not lend me to do CIH + IMAX .... yea that would be the cat's meow for sure.
When's your next HT major upgrade, seriously would you do it?

So many movies are in scope, while so few in IMAX .... just return on time and money investment ...
I have already done it. I really like it and the stealth style painted wall screen I have without any boarders or size constraints.

If it was just IMAX and the up to now couple dozen movies that expand in and out of IMAX I wouldn’t have worried about it much also. There is the IMAX Enhanced program that is now ongoing that should make that number grow. Then there is the streaming “prestige tv” some call it that is being delivered a lot as 2.0:1 or 1.77:1 that is quite IMAX like. Things like Game of Thrones. I also find quite a bit of broadcast sports today to be wide framed like it was scope and then they fill the top and bottom with graphics. Basketball, Football and Auto Racing to name a few. Because I have the IMAX ability I asked the guys I watch sports with if IMAX was to big at nearly 1.5 times screen height immersion and they all said heck no and when I zoomed down to TV size they said it was great but IMAXed was more like being there live.

Having too much screen area can never be a problem if you have a way to reduce it when you don’t want it is my logic.

I looked at your screen build and it seems like you would have the height as with IMAX going lower isn’t a bad thing. Most IMAX theaters have stadium seating and eyes at the center of the screen or slightly above are not so bad. Nothing says you have to program your scope content centered on the screen. My zooming / offset allows for height adjustment between ARs.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Constant Height

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page