Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-23-2020, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
tr6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Simple Masking Idea

While having a lot of free time lately I came up with what I believe is a pretty simple idea for masking 16x9 from 2.35:1. I've seen a lot of pretty cool builds for masking on this thread but they were all pretty expensive and complicated with a lot of components like cables, pulleys, switches, motors ect. My idea is to have 2 panels running on a track on each end with 2 linear actuators that when fully retracted would give you 2.35:1 and when and when fully extended would give you 16x9. Linear actuators are relatively inexpensive and come in different throws for different projects, you can get a kit that would do 2 actuators from 1 control unit for under $200.00. I recently installed an actuator on my A lens sled and is working great. The only limitation I see on this method would be not having a room big enough for the panels when they are retracted as opposed to the masking on the rolls method which I have seen posted. The panels can be made out of plywood and then be covered in the front with black masking material along with a front panel and the screen would be placed directly behind the sliding panels. Unfortunately my theater room is not wide enough to do this without going to a smaller screen which I do not want to do, but perhaps someone else can benefit from this idea. I've included a sketch that I did today looking at it from the back, it doesn't go into full details but it gives you an idea of what I had in mind, it's pretty simple what do you guys think ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_121624.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	2715214  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-28-2020, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm planning on doing something similar. Do you have specific parts in mind for this yet? I'm planning on masking down to 4:3 since we watch old stuff sometimes.

Currently building the Quarterdeck Club
post #3 of 3 Old 04-29-2020, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
tr6

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not really this was just an idea that I had the other day that I believe would be easier to build than some of the other masking builds I have seen. If you want to go down to 4:3 you would obviously need wider panels which would require more room on the sides for when the panels are fully retracted. Not sure if it's worth it unless you watch a lot of 4:3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Constant Height

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page